DATE: March 12 - 22, 2020
SURFACE: Hard
PRIZE MONEY: $8,542,680
FIELD SIZE: 96
DEFENDING CHAMPION: Dominic Thiem

Seeds:

TBD

indian-wells.jpg

Indian Wells. Credit: saimad - Flickr: BNP Paribas 2013 (Wikimedia / Creative Commons)

The Tournament:

The Indian Wells Masters, also known as BNP Paribas Open and the WTA Indian Wells Open, is an annual tennis tournament held in early- and mid-March at the Indian Wells Tennis Garden in Indian Wells, California, United States. The current owner is Larry Ellison, CTO and co-founder of Oracle. The current tournament director is former world No. 2 player Tommy Haas.

The tournament is a Masters 1000 event on the men's tour and is a Premier Mandatory event on the women's tour. Between 1974 and 1976 it was non-tour event and between 1977 and 1986 it was a secondary tournament of the Grand Prix Tennis Tour but in 1987 it was upgraded to be part of the Grand Prix Super Series, the series of nine tournaments just below the four majors and the year-end finals in importance. It took the place of the Philadelphia Indoor event as the first Super Series event of the year. The event is one of two tour events (along with the Miami Open), other than the Majors, in which main draw play extends beyond eight days. The women's main draw usually starts on Wednesday and the men's main draw starts on Thursday. Both finals are held on Sunday of the following week. Both singles main draws include 96 players in a 128-player grid, with the 32 seeded players getting a bye (a free pass) to the second round.

The tournament is played on hardcourt and is the best-attended tennis tournament outside the four Grand Slam tournaments. It has the second-largest permanent tennis stadium in the world (the Arthur Ashe Stadium being the largest).

About Indian Wells:

Indian Wells is a city in Riverside County, California, in the Coachella Valley. Incorporated in 1967, it lies in between the cities of Palm Desert and La Quinta. As of the 2010 Census, the city population was 4,958.

Indian_Wells_CA.JPG

Tourism Guide:

TV Coverage:

Asia

Afghanistan - MSM (Sony)
Bangladesh - MSM (Sony)
Bhutan - MSM (Sony)
China - CCTV
China - Iqiyi
Shanghai - Shanghai Media
Hong Kong - PCCW
India - MSM (Sony)
Japan - WOWOW
Japan - NHK
Japan - Gaora Sports Channel
South Korea - Eclat
Malaysia - Measat (Astro Supersport)
Maldives - MSM (Sony)
Nepal - MSM (Sony)
Pakistan - MSM (Sony)
Philippines - Elite Sport
Singapore - Starhub (Supersports)
Sri Lanka - MSM (Sony)
Taiwan - Sino Catch (Sportcast)
Thailand - Cineplex (Truevisions)
Vietnam - Canal+ Overseas

Middle East
Israel - Charlton/Sport1
MENA - BeIn Sport

Americas
Brazil - Globosat
Canada - Tennis Canada/Rogers Sportsnet
Canada - TSN
Caribbean - ESPN International
South America - ESPN International
United States - Tennis Channel
United States - ESPN (Indian Wells, Miami, Nitto ATP Finals)
United States - ESPN (Canada, Cincinnati)

Africa
Africa - Canal+ Overseas/Africa
Africa - Supersport
MENA - BeIn Sport

Australasia
Australasia - ESPN International

Europe
Albania - Supersport
Andorra - Sogecable/Telefonica (Movistar)
Andorra - TVE (Siccative)
Austria - Sky Deutschland
Belgium - BeTV
Belgium - Telenet (Play Sports)
Bosnia & Herzegovina - United Media (IKO Sportklub)
Bulgaria - MTEL/A1
Croatia - United Media (IKO Sportklub)
Cyprus - CYTA
Czech Republic - Tolano (Digi Sport)
Denmark - Modern Times Group (TV3)
Finland - MTV3
France - Eurosport
France - Canal+
Georgia - Silk Media
Georgia - Adjara
Germany - Sky Deutschland
Greece - Hellenic (OTE TV)
Hungary - RCS & RDS (Digisport)
Italy, San Marino & Vatican City - Sky Italia
Kosovo - Supersport
Lichtenstein - Sky Deutschland
Luxembourg - BeTV
Luxembourg - Sky Deutschland
Montenegro - United Media (IKO Sportklub)
Netherlands - Fox Sports
North Macedonia - United Media (IKO Sportklub)
Norway - Modern Times Group (Viaplay)
Poland - Polsat
Portugal - Sport TV
The Republic of Ireland - Amazon Prime Video
Romania - RCS & RDS (Digisport)
Russia - Eurosport
Serbia - RTS
Serbia - United Media (IKO Sportklub)
Slovakia - Tolano (Digi Sport)
Slovenia - United Media (IKO Sportklub)
Spain - Sogecable/Telefonica (Movistar)
Spain - TVE (Siccative)
Switzerland - Sky Deutschland
Switzerland - SRG
Sweden - Modern Times Group (Viaplay)
Turkey - Saran (agent to many channels)
United Kingdom - Amazon Prime Video

Worldwide
Worldwide - Tennis TV

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Breaking News,

Indian Wells has just been cancelled due to a confirmed case of coronavirus confirmed locally.More news to come.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Tip of the iceberg, I imagine for tennis in the foreseeable future. You can't reschedule it. It'll just be lost for this year, I guess.

Reactions: AnonymousFan

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Tip of the iceberg, I imagine for tennis in the foreseeable future. You can't reschedule it. It'll just be lost for this year, I guess.

I wonder how the ATP will handle people defending points? It would seem unfair to take them away, without having a chance to defend them.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I wonder how the ATP will handle people defending points? It would seem unfair to take them away, without having a chance to defend them.

Great minds....I just asked the same question for the WTA.....where players have points to defend.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
They used to take away points from the Olympics the following year, so my guess is they’ll take them away. Poor Thiem just dropped 1,000 points.

Bad luck,still I feel they made the right decision cancelling the tournament.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
They used to take away points from the Olympics the following year, so my guess is they’ll take them away. Poor Thiem just dropped 1,000 points.
Yes, Margaret asked the same question on WTA. And as you point out, the Olympics points just dropped off. I don't see a formulation for awarding half-points or anything else. The rankings could go crazy if people are going to drop points they can't defend. We might even be looking at no more Majors this year. Who knows?

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Yes, Margaret asked the same question on WTA. And as you point out, the Olympics points just dropped off. I don't see a formulation for awarding half-points or anything else. The rankings could go crazy if people are going to drop points they can't defend. We might even be looking at no more Majors this year. Who knows?

I already have a strong suspicion Roland Garros will be cancelled, and probably most, if not all, of the tournaments leading up to it.

• Wow

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I already have a strong suspicion Roland Garros will be cancelled, and probably most, if not all, of the tournaments leading up to it.
It's hard to imagine that the European clay season won't be cancelled. I agree. They might cobble it together in Spain, Portugal and Morocco, but doubtful. And Roland Garros...things would have to be much changed for that to happen. They might be able to play it to empty stadiums, but that would be sad. Things might be OK by the grass season. The UK doesn't seem much affected by Covid-19, as of now. But if it's still around, they won't be anxious to invite it, either. I would hope things are normalized by the North Am. HC swing and US Open, but we'll see.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
This is probably going to be rough on some of the journeymen/women players, who count on winnings here and there, and can't really afford not to play tennis for 3 months.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions

Some of the lead up tourneys might be cancelled or scheduled in different places. But, RG is two months away. Too early to give up on it.
Further there is a semi-reasonable speculation that the virus will not survive in the spring and summer seasons. Let us hope for the best.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Some of the lead up tourneys might be cancelled or scheduled in different places. But, RG is two months away. Too early to give up on it.
Further there is a semi-reasonable speculation that the virus will not survive in the spring and summer seasons. Let us hope for the best.
I'd like to be optimistic, too, but for now the course of the spread is on the uptick, not the down-slide. Two months seems short, right now.

Andy22

Major Winner
Reactions
I'm guessing USA has a lot of virus and Asians lucky Djokovic gets to keep number one then he was just about to lose it, is Miami going to be cancelled too maybe?.

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
This is completely and utterly stupid and a result of the utterly depraved American media (starting with the New York Times and Washington Post) having too much influence on world news. The swine flu outbreak in 2009-2010 was far worse than what is happening with coronavirus and nothing was cancelled. That was because the media's beloved Obama was in power and they did not want the economy to tank. This hype is entirely exaggerated and meant to take out Trump in an election year. In the end this is all this will amount to.

The reason for cancelling Indian Wells was that there was one - yes one - confirmed case of coronavirus in the Coachella Valley. And for the idiots who run California, that was enough to call off the event. But they don't have a problem with feces and drug needles all over San Francisco or tent cities all over Los Angeles.

This is truly one of the dumbest displays of mass hysteria I have ever witnessed, second only to the Russian collusion narrative after Trump defeated Hillary.

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I wonder if clay season can be played, for the moment RG's not cancelled but who knows ?