BNP Paribas Open, Indian Wells, CA, 2021 - ATP Masters 1000

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Wow - does someone "clean up" rather well. I bet the last time he looked that groom was the day he got married. I feel so bad for the guy, I wonder what is wife is saying now - YIKES!
Apparently you did not see Murray in San Diego tournament where he had a beard and neck hair....Ugh!

Ellentonboy

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
Apparently you did not see Murray in San Diego tournament where he had a beard and neck hair....Ugh!
No I was referring to his posting since his shoes and ring were stolen. I guess it was shot in the past 24 hours but you are right he always looks like he needs a shave. I think he is in trouble with the “wifey” over the loss of the ring, I almost did not recognize him in his video pleading for the return of the ring.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Murray is looking for his wedding ring :astonished-face: :facepalm:

Wow, and I always thought Murray was kind of a smart guy. Loses a major tool of his trade AND his wedding ring because his shoes stink up his room too much? I'm shaking my head, too, @Carol.

Reactions: Carol

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Wow, and I always thought Murray was kind of a smart guy. Loses a major tool of his trade AND his wedding ring because his shoes stink up his room too much? I'm shaking my head, too, @Carol.
The main question is why does Murray travel with one pair of shoes? I know Scots people can be frugal,though I think Murray can afford to travel with more than 1 pair of shoes.

Ellentonboy

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
Yep. he got it :dance2:

I have to admit I am really happy for him. Losing rings is a traumatic event. He is one of the lucky ones. I hope as the days go by we get more details on "Shoe-gate" as I like to think of it. Did a Good Samaritan just pick them up and return them to security. He mentions he spoke with hotel security so maybe someone found them and did the right thing and gave them back. Let's hope. Anyone have details, glad this had a happy ending.

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

I created a link so you gals/guys can see the pictures I took during Practice Day in Indian Wells.

Notes that I observe while watching them practice: Medvedev is not skinnier than I thought he would be in person. He has the right built for his size. His forehand is funky but he can generate power from that shot. His serve is straightforward and effective especially for his size. Finally, his backhand is a thing beauty. He is very consistent on that side and he really does go down low just to retrieve the tennis ball that are low. His IS fast especially for his size and his shot do not really have a lot of spin.

Karen Khachanov: He is taller than I thought especially if you watch him in television, holy cow!

John Isner: He is tall but he lost some muscles, now he has a super lean body.

Sascha Zverev: He definitely put some muscles. His forehand is not too bad during practice, but we know the real deal during live matches.

Federico Delbonis: He really has the high ball toss and weird serving motion :face-with-tears-of-joy:

FAA and Tsitsipas: They had a joint practice for 1.5 hours. I did not really watch their practice that much because I wanted to see other players practice.

Carlos Alcaraz: He has the tools to be a future slam champion. At his size (6'1 or 6'2), he has the right built. He has the built of Nadal (around 2010), but the strokes of Djokovic. Both of his forehand and backhand have some easy power.

Gael Monfils: He had a fun practice with a college player. I could tell Monfils gets along with everyone on the tour due to his fun and easygoing personality. He does have a long wingspan, so it is why he can defend very well when he is super focus.

Matteo Berrettini: His forehand is the real deal! His forehand is similar to Rublev meaning a lot of power due to their arm movement in that shot. He had a short practice at night. I hope nothing is serious because he cut the practice short (only 30 minutes). By the way, @Moxie and @kskate2, the ladies in the practice courts were able to take a picture of Matteo! They love their Italian stallion!

Finally, I want to talk about my practice of the day, Jannik Sinner: Rafael Nadal is correct about this guy; he is very talented and a future slam champion as long he continues to improve his game and learn from the experience of losing and winning matches. The reason I was very amazed with Sinner's practice is because his groundstrokes are a beautiful to watch in person. He had a practice session with PCB, let me tell you, he showed PCB and everyone the repertoire he has in his bag. The way he hit both his forehand and backhand is like a great surgeon doing a surgery (precise, accurate and patient). They are "silent" but powerful and accurate. Matteo/FAA/Rublev have powerful forehands but you can hear and see their forehands. Sinner is like a quiet assassin with his groundstrokes. PCB hit some great and powerful shots and Sinner just returned hit those shots back with the same power like it was nothing. Sinner's movement is improving so that is a good sign that he is getting better. One last thing: Jannik Sinner is quiet but very respectful to every one. Also, I know he is 20 years old already, he still looks young, he even looks younger than Alcaraz! :face-with-tears-of-joy:

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
And this is the "director" of PTPA? it could much better if he doesn't break the racket and he would give it to players that can't buy more than one or two because still don't make too much money, it would be a lot of help:)

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
So Bopanna, Shapovalov’s doubles partner in an awesome display nails him in the head for a double fault.

• Wow
Reactions: Moxie

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
teefs won..ooooofy.
if he wins another 21 matches in a row he will finally reach 50percent win/loss in his career.

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
imagine if teefs won the tounrey..
after emma rad winning usopen in her 4th pro event..anything now seems possible.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
imagine if teefs won the tounrey..
after emma rad winning usopen in her 4th pro event..anything now seems possible.
I think Tiafoe has been showing a lot more chops and initiative of late. Against the grain, I picked Berrettini to win the tournament. Oh, why not? Though Medvedev did look on fine form this evening.

Reactions: JesuslookslikeBorg

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I think Tiafoe has been showing a lot more chops and initiative of late. Against the grain, I picked Berrettini to win the tournament. Oh, why not? Though Medvedev did look on fine form this evening.
I actually am lucky that I am going on October 12, Tuesday to watch matches. There will be 16 total single matches (eight Men's 3rd Round matches (bottom half) and eight Women's Round of 16 matches). The men's bottom half of the draw is definitely the more loaded one compared to the top half.

As for the women's, I am hoping they actually put Laylah Fernandez outside of stadium 1 so I can see her play a match live. She does have to win tomorrow night first. Iga Swiatek is another women's player I want to watch live.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I actually am lucky that I am going on October 12, Tuesday to watch matches. There will be 16 total single matches (eight Men's 3rd Round matches (bottom half) and eight Women's Round of 16 matches). The men's bottom half of the draw is definitely the more loaded one compared to the top half.

As for the women's, I am hoping they actually put Laylah Fernandez outside of stadium 1 so I can see her play a match live. She does have to win tomorrow night first. Iga Swiatek is another women's player I want to watch live.
I'm curious .how much are they charging for a bottle of water liter size ..$10 ?

• Haha
Reactions: AnonymousFan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
The match today I am looking forward to watch is Andy Murray vs the young Spaniard Carlos Alcaraz

Last edited:
Reactions: Moxie and Carol