BNP Paribas Open, Indian Wells, CA, 2021 - ATP Masters 1000

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It's been frustrating for me as Murray's still playing his same def. game just running down shots & hoping for errors for the most part! Idiotic! :lulz1:
You can't distinguish defense from strategy. Murray up 4-1 in the 3rd.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
FAA goes out to Ramos-Viñolas...whispers of injury.

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
rather weird feeling that andy is the only ex big4 member in the tourney, after all his career endingish injuries.

live rank chart looks like murray is -250pts..must be from that antwerp250 he won vs stantheman in oct2019..crashed to rank 170s. (106 rank in race to turin).

Last edited:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
rather weird feeling that andy is the only ex big4 member in the tourney, after all his career endingish injuries.

live rank chart looks like murray is -250pts..must be from that antwerp250 he won vs stantheman in oct2019..crashed to rank 170s. (106 rank in race to turin).
He does feel like the "emeritus professor" in the line-up, but I glad to see him playing well. Why not?

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Reilly Opelka is an art lover. They said when he's not playing or practicing, he likes to go to galleries and museums, and he collects, too. Interesting.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Finally Tennis Channel moves over to the Shapo-Karatsev match. Karatsev up a set and a break, so Denis the Menace better get his head together if he's going to stay in this.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Shapovalov needs to get it together. He falls apart yet again in another tournament. He is too talented to not be making it farther in tournaments. He definitely needs someone to help him with his shot selection and playing with margin.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Shapovalov needs to get it together. He falls apart yet again in another tournament. He is too talented to not be making it farther in tournaments. He definitely needs someone to help him with his shot selection and playing with margin.
I was looking out to see if wind was a factor, and Shapo's classic "lack of margin," but I don't think you can blame it on that. He dumped a lot of shots into the net. I think you have to credit Karatsev, who has a tricky game, and forced Shapo to mistime a lot of shots. It wasn't the usual Denis just swinging mindlessly for the fences. He got beat, and pretty badly.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
It's what happens to these young phenoms who have a bit of success too early! It's all too easy to lose motivation, feed off the positive commentary, then fall precipitously! I was just thinking earlier of all the players who've made a name for themselves by upsetting a top player to never being heard from again besides the honorary mention when that top player is upset again! Shapo came along and upset Nadal back home in the Canadian Masters a couple years ago, but making this past Wimbledon SF has been more of a negative than a positive as he's done nothing since! The accolades were so plentiful, predicting great things for him! You can't listen to that BS! It's destroyed more players than helped in the past! During this rain delay, they showed Grigor D. who was monikered, "Baby Fed!" It's done him little good outside of one Masters' win and a YEC a couple years ago! :exploding-head: :fearful-face::facepalm::anxious-face-with-sweat:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It's what happens to these young phenoms who have a bit of success too early! It's all too easy to lose motivation, feed off the positive commentary, then fall precipitously! I was just thinking earlier of all the players who've made a name for themselves by upsetting a top player to never being heard from again besides the honorary mention when that top player is upset again! Shapo came along and upset Nadal back home in the Canadian Masters a couple years ago, but making this past Wimbledon SF has been more of a negative than a positive as he's done nothing since! The accolades were so plentiful, predicting great things for him! You can't listen to that BS! It's destroyed more players than helped in the past! During this rain delay, they showed Grigor D. who was monikered, "Baby Fed!" It's done him little good outside of one Masters' win and a YEC a couple years ago! :exploding-head: :fearful-face::facepalm::anxious-face-with-sweat:
It's not that the success came too early, for the most part, if you ask me. It's just that for every potential great or even medium great, there are 20+ who just don't turn out that way. That's why the Big 3 are so superior. To name but a few of the disappointments over the past couple of decades: Marat Safin, David Nalbandian, Grigor Dimitrov, Nick Kyrgios, Kei Nishikori, Borna Coric, Milos Raonic, even Jerzy Janowitz and Lukas Rosol. A great upset, as you say, then they go nowhere, of the last two. I don't think Shapo is a lost cause, nor is FAA, who seems for now to be a damp squib. But they certainly don't make anything consistent of their talents. It IS frustrating.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Medvedev sporting the Dartmouth green.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Who picked Babycakes to win this event? He is struggling in the 3R to Fritz. Looks like he's been taken over by the pod people. :wacko:

• Haha
Reactions: AnonymousFan

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Who picked Babycakes to win this event? He is struggling in the 3R to Fritz. Looks like he's been taken over by the pod people. :wacko:
That was me. He messed up my draw. Surprisingly poor loss by Babycakes. Now I'll be rooting for Murray. :D

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
can murray comeback vs zed ?..
was 4-1 up in set 2 i thnik..but not so fast sez the zedster.

• Haha
Reactions: Fiero425

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
i see mr fritz wasted berettini in straights..a bit of an upset, slow courts not ok for matteo?.

Reactions: Fiero425