Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Medvedev in five sets

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Good thing to know is Medvedev is clean as he tires like a normal human being. Good for morals, bad for results. Too many 5 setters = back to fucking gulag.

Reactions: the AntiPusher

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Front the hardest thing to do is to close out an opponent in a tennis match. Yes best of 3 is tough but best of 5 is extremely extraordinary difficult as you know.
If he wasn't fatigued he'd have done it nps. It was over once he lost set 3.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
What really did Medvedev in was that break Sinner got in the second set. It seemed to actualize better tennis from Sinner and free his shots more.

Reactions: don_fabio

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
What really did Medvedev in was that break Sinner got in the second set. It seemed to actualize better tennis from Sinner and free his shots more.
Totally. Up 5-1 and won it 6-3. Should have won it more commandingly. That was the beginning of his passive crap play from there.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
^ his part of Italy was part of Austria-Hungary Empire at start of First World War if memory serves. The Hapsburg Dynasty encompassed many nations and ethnicities. It would not surprise me he speaks German in the home as I think it is the first language of over 65% of the people in South Tyrol in norther Italy and he’s from near there I do believe.
I think his mother is southern Italian and his father a northern Italian who grew up near the border with Austria.

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I think his mother is southern Italian and his father a northern Italian who grew up near the border with Austria.
Jannik is more German, and he did grow up nearer the border of Austria, he speaks more German than Italian

Reactions: tossip

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Totally. Up 5-1 and won it 6-3. Should have won it more commandingly. That was the beginning of his passive crap play from there.
I don’t think Medvedev is someone who always focuses on the totality of a match. I think he certainly plays well to get where he gets in tournaments, but I do think he is a player who sometimes puts the cart before the horse. I think he thinks he is going to hold the trophy in some cases before he is actually holding the trophy and loses the plot.

Reactions: Front242

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
I don’t think Medvedev is someone who always focuses on the totality of a match. I think he certainly plays well to get where he gets in tournaments, but I do think he is a player who sometimes puts the cart before the horse. I think he thinks he is going to hold the trophy in some cases before he is actually holding the trophy and loses the plot.
That's it exactly and it's unfortunate although fatigue was definitely the bigger issue today. He looked wrecked out there towards the end of set 3 and had to finish it there to win. The crazy thing is that after dropping set 3 with terrible passive play, he started set 4 pretty well on Sinner's first service game. If he'd shown that same aggression at the end of set 3 he may have won it in 3 but it was too late by then.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Meddy had to win in SS he came out with the right game plan, until the fatique factor came into play, all those 5 set matches caught up with him
I happen to be a Meddy fan and yes I felt for him.

Last edited:
Reactions: AnonymousFan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I have to give a Huge Shout Out to Riccardo Piatti, who I am certain would be watching the AO final
Piatti built the foundations of Janniks game from the age of 14, He must be soo proud of Jannik

Reactions: don_fabio

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Meddy had to win in SS he came out with the right game plan, until the fatique factor came into play, all those 5 set matches caught up with him
I happen to be a Meddy fan and yes I felt for him.
Yeah big fan of both but seeing him lose another like this was rough and I just knew it was gonna happen even from set 2 when he was 5-1 up. As soon as he went awol there in set 2 (despite winning it 6-3 which rather surprised me as I thought it may have gone to 5-5) it was the beginning of the end. He started playing passive and tiring and Sinner started serving better.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Yeah big fan of both but seeing him lose another like this was rough and I just knew it was gonna happen even from set 2 when he was 5-1 up. As soon as he went awol there in set 2 (despite winning it 6-3 which rather surprised me as I thought it may have gone to 5-5) it was the beginning of the end. He started playing passive and tiring and Sinner started serving better.
I hear you Fronty, Meddy started playing passive, you could see he was tired, Sinner found his serve, and turned things around,

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Jannik is the first man to beat Top 5 players back to back at the AO QFs, SFs and F since Djokovic did so in 2012
Well done young man you have earnt it!

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
So he is an Austrian living in Italy?
No. He's Italian. His whole life, and more, that part of the Alps has always been Italian. But, ethnically, they're pretty Germanic up there. I think he does speak German at home, or both German and Italian. Andrea Seppi was from the same area, and his English had a very strong German accent. Jannik's is rather more of a hybrid.

Reactions: tossip

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
No. He's Italian. His whole life, and more, that part of the Alps has always been Italian. But, ethnically, they're pretty Germanic up there. I think he does speak German at home, or both German and Italian. Andrea Seppi was from the same area, and his English had a very strong German accent. Jannik's is rather more of a hybrid.
Jannik speaks more German when visiting his parents, he left home around age 14 to train with Piatti at his academy