Administrator
Reactions
Who wins?

IMG_5625.jpeg

Reactions: AnonymousFan

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Wishful thinking, but why not? It could happen.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Obviously, it's always hard to vote against Novak anywhere, especially in Oz. If it weren't for the slight concern about Sinner's ab, though, this year would look very different. Novak hasn't been especially convincing but in one match. Sinner knows how to beat him. It looks like his year.

Reactions: El Dude

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I am abstaining from voting due to my 'senior years' thanks for understanding :) ( Jannik Forza)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: AnonymousFan

PhiEaglesfan712

Masters Champion
Reactions
This has the feeling of 2008 AO Novak vs. Roger. This time, the role is reversed for Novak. My gut tells me the young guy is going to break through, possibly even in dominant fashion.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
BTW regarding Sinner's abdominal scare, ( QF match against Rublev) he said he felt air in his stomach, maybe something he ate before the match that disagreed with him, it went away with a bit of time, in the 3rd set, he didnt feel anything anymore.BTW his serve was not broken in his 3 set win.

Last edited:

tented

Administrator
Reactions
I’m the only one thus far who has voted for Novak? Surprising. One day he will lose here, but I don’t think it will be this year.

Novak in 4 (dropping the second set, of course).

roberto

Futures Player
Reactions
I’m the only one thus far who has voted for Novak? Surprising. One day he will lose here, but I don’t think it will be this year.

Agree 100% :)

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

But, based on the way he's playing, or on history? He's had one match were he looked sturdy. Sinner hasn't dropped a set. And Sinner has the hot hand, of the two, and of the tournament, frankly.

There is absolutely every reason to think that Novak will pull himself up to his past great height and win the next two matches. Just because he has. But there was even more reason to believe that he would win the Wimbledon final over Alcaraz, and he didn't. Sinner getting him in the semis is more than a pipe-dream. It's a real possibility. People are picking what they think might well-happen. It's not far-fetched. But you go ahead and pick him...you're as close to a curse as he gets these day. :face-with-tears-of-joy: :smooch: :popcorn (You know I'm kidding.)

PhiEaglesfan712

Masters Champion
Reactions
For those that think this won't be the year that Novak loses, remember these 'changing of the guard' matches:

tented

Administrator
Reactions
But, based on the way he's playing, or on history? He's had one match were he looked sturdy. Sinner hasn't dropped a set. And Sinner has the hot hand, of the two, and of the tournament, frankly.

There is absolutely every reason to think that Novak will pull himself up to his past great height and win the next two matches. Just because he has. But there was even more reason to believe that he would win the Wimbledon final over Alcaraz, and he didn't. Sinner getting him in the semis is more than a pipe-dream. It's a real possibility. People are picking what they think might well-happen. It's not far-fetched. But you go ahead and pick him...you're as close to a curse as he gets these day. :face-with-tears-of-joy: :smooch: :popcorn (You know I'm kidding.)
Based on the way Novak wins here again and again. Based on the way he wins big matches. Based on the way he beat Sinner in the WTF final — the match which was most important. Based on this being best-of-five.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

I picked Novak in 4, but it could be Sinner in 3. He’s been a wall this whole tournament. KK pushed it back a little, but didn’t find any holes. Novak being Novak knows how to find holes in anyone’s game. And Cahill being Cahill has done everything in his sphere to shore them up.

Novak has to come out super aggressive and let Sinner know he’ll be out there for 5 hours if need be. Carlos won’t be waiting in the final. That’s some pressure off the Serb. Hopefully he will relax and play his game and not get passive.

Reactions: tented

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I tend to agree with you. And until Zverev (who’d up til the quarterfinal had some sketchy play), beat Carlos (who was pretty much sailing through his matches), I would have picked Jannik in 4. Maybe Djokovic took some encouragement from that win and will step it up today.

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It's been a while since Novak lost a Semifinal of a Slam. It was against Thiem in 2019 RG, in those very windy conditions if you remember, they played it over 2 days.

Having said that, Novak loses Semis more rare than finals, that's how it looks to me, at least in recent years.

There is something about Sinner's game that suits Novak I think. He doesn't look too worried when they meet. Maybe I have wrong impression. It might all change tomorrow, who knows. Sinner is playing mighty good, that's what everyone says, but I have to count on Novak. This is his backyard and he will defend it with all he's got. It is up to Sinner to play flawless tennis, probably similar to what Zverev did yesterday.

Expecting close battle so I'll take Novak in 5.

Reactions: tented and nehmeth

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It's been a while since Novak lost a Semifinal of a Slam. It was against Thiem in 2019 RG, in those very windy conditions if you remember, they played it over 2 days.
I just looked at the Melbourne weather, for fun, and there are strong wind warnings for the afternoon. Temps should be pleasant, though, with some cloud cover. Not sure what kind of a wind player Jannik is, but we know it can irritate Novak. Still, I don't think anything like that crazy day at RG.

Reactions: nehmeth

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Good start for the Italian.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Novak starts slow, and Jannik breaks early, but that won't be easy to keep hold of, historically. But Sinner looks calm, which is good for him.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Very passive play from Novak. Jannik just needs to get the ball in play and watch his opponent self-destruct.