Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Medvedev in five sets

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Margaret i got to ask, which final was your favourite? Nadal vs Medvedev 2022 or Sinner vs Medvedev 2024 ?
You didn't ask me, but Nadal d. Medvedev would be my favorite. I haven't seen all of today's match, but it did seem to come in two parts. Act One was Medvedev coming out strong, Sinner having maiden slam final nerves, then Medvedev letting Sinner back in in the 3rd set. Act Two was Sinner finding his game, and Medvedev running out of gas and ideas. The 2022 Final was a much more balanced match. Lest we forget, Nadal had a break in the 2nd, and was up a mini break in the TB. Medvedev basically stole that set. It was a much more dramatic match, IMO, but I could be prejudiced. But a fight through the whole match is more interesting than a match divided in two parts.

Reactions: Vince Evert

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
hey hello Moxie,

i thought you weren't there, LOL.

I would agree in the sense that Nadal who was 34 going on 35 back then and questions were being asked if his time was running out and the fact it had been 13 years since his first AO 2009 victory. Rafa surely answered his critics that day/night.

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
probably the thing that will happen is within the next two weeks, the official youtube channel - Australian Open TV, they will be putting up complete matches from the 2024 tournament. I'll be sure to post the final once its available.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
hey hello Moxie,

i thought you weren't there, LOL.

I would agree in the sense that Nadal who was 34 going on 35 back then and questions were being asked if his time was running out and the fact it had been 13 years since his first AO 2009 victory. Rafa surely answered his critics that day/night.
It wasn't just the drama of Nadal's age. IMO, it was a much better match.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
It wasn't just the drama of Nadal's age. IMO, it was a much better match.
Not at the time it wasnt :)
The reason I also said the 'same' it was a test for Sinner able to change his game and turn things around and from a physical point of view lasting 5 sets, I was soo proud of him.

Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Not at the time it wasnt :)
The reason I also said the 'same' it was a test for Sinner able to change his game and turn things around and from a physical point of view lasting 5 sets, I was soo proud of him.
Every match is different. I didn't have a chance to say this, but Jannik was on his maiden voyage. Not everyone wins their first Major final, and I'd be curious to know how many do. But I have to think it's fairly elite company. In recent years: Rafa did, I think Roger did; Novak did not. Cilic and Del Potro did, I think. Stan did. Safin did. Murray did not. Oh, Alcaraz did. Medvedev did not. Nor did Thiem. That is totally off the top of my head. :)

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Breaking...

Nine network, Australian Open TV ratings for the mens singles final have just been announced. They had some competition with Channel 7 coverage of Cricket West Indies vs Australia Test match.

TV Ratings January 28th 2024: Australian Open men’s final dominates demos​

On Nine, the men’s final of the Australian Open dominated Sunday evening viewership, with a total TV national reach of 4,767,000 as Italy’s Jannik Sinner took on Russia’s Daniil Medvedev. The match had a national audience of 2,122,000, with 314,000 tuning in on BVOD.

In a comeback for the ages, 22-year-old Sinner clawed his way back from two sets to love, winning the 3hr 44 mins game in a 3-6 3-6 6-4 6-4 6-3 victory.

See Also: TV Report January 28, 2024: Jannik Sinner creates history with Australian Open victory

Still on comebacks, the West Indies provided a stunning show for the fourth day of the Australian v West Indies test on Seven. The second session reached a total TV national audience of 2,207,000 viewers, with a national audience of 1,359,000 who watched an injured Shamar Joseph claim seven wickets for 68 to gift the team its first win on Aussie soil in 27 years.

The night of sports continued with the Women’s T20 match between Australia and South Africa, also on Seven, which reached a total TV audience of 1,111,000, and a national audience of 251,000.

Outside of sport, ABC’s Muster Dogs wasn’t far behind the women’s T20, with a total TV national reach of 1,110,000, a national audience of 692,000, and 27,000 watching on BVOD.

On 10, the grand finale of Gladiators reached 697,000 viewers, with a national audience of 282,000 and 9,000 tuning in on BVOD.

TV Ratings Australian Open

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Breaking... next year we could be looking at Australian Open without the "let" if Craig Tilley the C.E.O has his way !

Australian Open boss wants to make a radical rule change at every grand slam to tackle his tournament's biggest problem - and fans are NOT happy​

• Radical change would impact all service games
  • Aussie Open boss believes it will save 15 hours
  • Fans have called for better scheduling instead
Australian Open boss Craig Tiley is set to lobby world tennis bodies to abolish the let service at grand slam tournaments in a bid to speed up the game.

The move comes after the Melbourne slam came under fire in recent years as matches finished as late as 4am, with an extra day added to the 2024.
Now Tiley has come up with a radical suggestion that he wants to be applied to not only the Australian Open, but all grand slam events around the world.

He wants the let service, when the ball collects the tape at the top of the net and lands in the service box, to be abolished.

It's unclear whether that means lets would be called in under his plan, or whether they would be called faults.

Tiley will take the suggestion to the Association of Tennis Professionals and Women’s Tennis Association in a bid to have it implemented in time for the 2025 Open at Melbourne Park.

'We're looking at the entire puzzle and how to make it better for the fan and better for the player,' he told the Herald Sun.

'We want to make the game faster and continue to grow its appeal … which is why we look at things like lets … it's a decision for the entire sport.

'I definitely want to speed the game up.

'For us the most important thing is to get to a position where the game itself is not too long. We've got to keep people's interest in it.'

I've asked players that before and most said they thought maybe one or two hours. But 15 hours?

'We will do it all in collaboration with the tour. It would be crazy not to.

'The more the rules can be consistent from event to event, the better it is for the game.'

However, tennis fans have not welcomed the call, saying there are other measures that can be taken to prevent long, late matches without changing the rules of the sport.

'To make it more appealing to fans the first thing to change is to stop a player bouncing the ball 19 times before they serve,' one fan suggested.

'Imagine is the match last night was short format or Fast 4? Who would the winner be? Medvedev. It's very silly the suggestions they put out,' posted another.

'Imagine is the match last night was short format or Fast 4? Who would the winner be? Medvedev. It's very silly the suggestions they put out,' posted another.

'How about we put four walls around the court and reduce the size of the racquets?' another asked sarcastically.

Others called for Tiley to stand down for not addressing the late finishes in a practical way.

'I've always given Tiley credit for being a good tournament director even as he was ruining the rest of tennis in Australia, but his scheduling this year
suggests he has absolutely no idea. Time to go,' a passionate fan posted.

Tiley will also call for a review of the 25-second service shot clock system in a bid to speed up matches.

'We need to review the shot clock because it has seemed to add more time into matches when it was supposed to add less,' he said.

It's when the official behind the clock waits for someone to be ready and then you push the button for 25 seconds, that player might bounce the ball for 25 times before they serve. I think that has got to be looked at.

'I think the use of the shot clock, which was a new innovation and a good one, has got to be looked at.'

- Written by Josh ALSTON,
Daily Mail Australia, Online

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Breaking... next year we could be looking at Australian Open without the "let" if Craig Tilley the C.E.O has his way !

Australian Open boss wants to make a radical rule change at every grand slam to tackle his tournament's biggest problem - and fans are NOT happy​

• Radical change would impact all service games
  • Aussie Open boss believes it will save 15 hours
  • Fans have called for better scheduling instead
Australian Open boss Craig Tiley is set to lobby world tennis bodies to abolish the let service at grand slam tournaments in a bid to speed up the game.

The move comes after the Melbourne slam came under fire in recent years as matches finished as late as 4am, with an extra day added to the 2024.
Now Tiley has come up with a radical suggestion that he wants to be applied to not only the Australian Open, but all grand slam events around the world.

He wants the let service, when the ball collects the tape at the top of the net and lands in the service box, to be abolished.

It's unclear whether that means lets would be called in under his plan, or whether they would be called faults.

Tiley will take the suggestion to the Association of Tennis Professionals and Women’s Tennis Association in a bid to have it implemented in time for the 2025 Open at Melbourne Park.

'We're looking at the entire puzzle and how to make it better for the fan and better for the player,' he told the Herald Sun.

'We want to make the game faster and continue to grow its appeal … which is why we look at things like lets … it's a decision for the entire sport.

'I definitely want to speed the game up.

'For us the most important thing is to get to a position where the game itself is not too long. We've got to keep people's interest in it.'

I've asked players that before and most said they thought maybe one or two hours. But 15 hours?

'We will do it all in collaboration with the tour. It would be crazy not to.

'The more the rules can be consistent from event to event, the better it is for the game.'

However, tennis fans have not welcomed the call, saying there are other measures that can be taken to prevent long, late matches without changing the rules of the sport.

'To make it more appealing to fans the first thing to change is to stop a player bouncing the ball 19 times before they serve,' one fan suggested.

'How about we put four walls around the court and reduce the size of the racquets?' another asked sarcastically.

Others called for Tiley to stand down for not addressing the late finishes in a practical way.

'I've always given Tiley credit for being a good tournament director even as he was ruining the rest of tennis in Australia, but his scheduling this year
suggests he has absolutely no idea. Time to go,' a passionate fan posted.

Tiley will also call for a review of the 25-second service shot clock system in a bid to speed up matches.

'We need to review the shot clock because it has seemed to add more time into matches when it was supposed to add less,' he said.

It's when the official behind the clock waits for someone to be ready and then you push the button for 25 seconds, that player might bounce the ball for 25 times before they serve. I think that has got to be looked at.

'I think the use of the shot clock, which was a new innovation and a good one, has got to be looked at.'

- Written by Josh ALSTON,
Daily Mail Australia, Online
I am not a fan of Craig Tiley he should have been sacked after the handling of Djokovic fiasco, moving on I happen to agree with his thoughts abolish the 'lets' in a game of tennis, meaning ATP events and GS, also WTA events and GS, that would have to ratified though ATP, WTA and ITF for starters

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Dear Craig,

While you're at it, you might also look at shorter trophy presentations of 10 minutes or less, such as eliminating the "dignitaries" references. The other GS, in contrast, do not have elongated presentations or references to "dignitaries" , government members, etc , the way the Australian Open has. Bring it on :D

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
here it is. It was near 9 minutes before runners up Medvedev starts his speech. The ceremony took 16 minutes! Compare it to US Open or Wimbledon they're usually less time, less formalities.

• Angry

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

'SINNER IS THE KING' | Nick Kyrgios Commentates - Jannik Sinner vs Daniil Medvedev​

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions

'SINNER IS THE KING' | Nick Kyrgios Commentates - Jannik Sinner vs Daniil Medvedev​

Vince,
I feel Nick is setting himself up for retirement for tennis, doing commentary not only here but also in the USA, also he has other projects as well. Nick recently denied he was retiring from tennis, though he hasnt played in over 1 year, he has always been a part time tennis player to me, only playing tournaments that interest him, lets see if he does come back this year, if not I think he will call time on his tennis career.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Dear Craig,

While you're at it, you might also look at shorter trophy presentations of 10 minutes or less, such as eliminating the "dignitaries" references. The other GS, in contrast, do not have elongated presentations or references to "dignitaries" , government members, etc , the way the Australian Open has. Bring it on :D

People need to get over this BS about the trophy presentation! Mon Dieu, they're handing over a check for $3-4 M! I'd stand there an hr. for that! :-)2

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Vince,
I feel Nick is setting himself up for retirement for tennis, doing commentary not only here but also in the USA, also he has other projects as well. Nick recently denied he was retiring from tennis, though he hasnt played in over 1 year, he has always been a part time tennis player to me, only playing tournaments that interest him, lets see if he does come back this year, if not I think he will call time on his tennis career.
Yes and he's also calling for american ESPN viewers...

Kyrgios draws positive reception for ESPN Australian Open coverage​

Tennis player Nick Kyrgios has only been on ESPN as a broadcaster during the Australian Open “for a couple of days,” but so far he has been “very good,” according to Richard Deitsch of THE ATHLETIC. Kyrgios “blended in easily" with John and Patrick McEnroe. He was a “comfortable listen" and he "showed the ability to be short when needed.” He also “mocked himself, which viewers often appreciate.” Kyrgios will “clearly benefit the ESPN audience" throughout Australian Open coverage because of his "tennis currency: he has faced the players he is talking about.” He was “even interesting on more esoteric topics, such as whether the tour should switch balls (or not) weekly.” Tennis Channel analyst Jon Wertheim on Kyrgios' future in broadcasting said, “He likes being relevant; he is this firehose of candor -- he likes speaking. In a weird way, (he) is better suited to being a media player than a tennis player.” Deitsch noted Kyrgios’ path to the ESPN booth started when his agent Stuart Duguid “reached out to ESPN to gauge their interest in his client working the Australian Open.” For now, the deal is “only for the Australian Open,” but ESPN is “willing to explore things down the road." ESPN SVP/Production & Remote Events Mark Gross said, “The plan is to have Nick on the air in prime time (at) East Coast time. We certainly believe Nick will be very good on the air, and we want to make sure the largest portion of our audience will see and hear him”