Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Medvedev in five sets

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
This will be their 10th official meeting (ALL in hardcourts), however, this will be their 1st meeting in a Slam. Medvedev leads the H2H 6-3, however, Sinner has won their last three consecutive meetings.

Quick facts: This will be Sinner's first slam final and Medvedev's sixth slam final, third AO final (the previous 5 were against Djokovic and Nadal). Sinner has only lost one set so far and has only been broken twice so far this tournament. On the other hand, Medvedev has played three five-setters including two wins from 2 sets down already.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
IMG_5665.jpeg
IMG_5666.jpeg

Reactions: AnonymousFan

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I have a tough time voting against the Russian unless the Serbian Slayer is on the other side, but I think the Italian has really turned the corner in the last few months and his results back that up. People been talking about him for a while and it appears as though he is rounding into shape. I think the Russian stays where he is, right near the top of the game, but I do not think he is going to get past the Italian on this unless the Italian gets a horrible case of nerves and underperforms. I realize that is a possibility, but I don't feel that is what is going to happen. I think it will be for tight sets because the Russian as a fighter and he is crafty, but I think the time and has more shots, more power in a more difficult serve to return than what the Russian has faced. Then again, if the Russian wins, I will not be surprised. He has been hanging around the top for many years now. He is unorthodox as held his strokes, but he seems to be a likable guy with a good head on his shoulders.

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Keep in mind too that Medvedev has spent a lot of hours on court this week. While Medvedev is one of the MOST physically fit players, at some point, he will feel the wear and tear. With that being said, he will definitely fight hard until the end.

Another thing, Sinner will put tremendous pressure on Medvedev unlike Hurkacz and Zverev. So, Medvedev will really get tested physically on Sunday.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
That's an interesting H2H. Reads like a short story. All first 6 to Medvedev. All last 3 to Sinner, and all of those last Fall. 4 Finals, which they split. One SF won by Sinner. And look how many were on indoor hards...6 of the 9. A lot of meetings for a relatively short span of time. 5 of the 9 all came last year.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
2 Fun Facts in the Men's Final,

Medvedev's playing in his 6th Major final.This will be his first against someone other than Djokovic/Nadal

Sinner's playing in his 8th final in the last 52 weeks.This will be his 5th final against Medvedev during that stretch.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Playing a final, is soo different than a SF, as a long time Sinner fan, Sinner arrives at the final losing only 1 set, which hopefully bodes well for him at a physical level if the match goes 5 sets.

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Just like in the SF match against Djokovic, Sinner will have a quiet confidence knowing the fact he has beaten Medvedev 3 times since last October.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I take nothing for granted, this is a final, Sinner will have to step up again, as Medvedev wont be going away, Sinner might have beaten Medvedev recently ( 3 times) that was a best of 3.
As far as I am concerned both players need to forget their SF wins, playing in a GS final is a different match all together!

Last edited:

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
Cheers to everyone. Had a question stuck in my head, wanted to ask the statisticians of the forum :) . What is the number of most 5 set wins on the way to a slam win? Looks like if Daniil wins the final in 5, that would be 4 for him and that has to be right up there, no?
I don't see myself getting up for this final in my time zone but will watch the taped match and hopefully it will be a good one.

Reactions: don_fabio and Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Cheers to everyone. Had a question stuck in my head, wanted to ask the statisticians of the forum :) . What is the number of most 5 set wins on the way to a slam win? Looks like if Daniil wins the final in 5, that would be 4 for him and that has to be right up there, no?
I don't see myself getting up for this final in my time zone but will watch the taped match and hopefully it will be a good one.
Good to see you around, @Murat Baslamisli! A follow-up question is: will/has the AO beaten the record for most 5-setters at a Major?

Reactions: don_fabio

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
So far, no one has picked Medvedev to win in any iteration. I hope I don't sleep through my alarm again, but @MargaretMcAleer I will be wearing my lucky t-shirt for Yannick. Forza, Sinner!

• Love
Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
So far, no one has picked Medvedev to win in any iteration. I hope I don't sleep through my alarm again, but @MargaretMcAleer I will be wearing my lucky t-shirt for Yannick. Forza, Sinner!
Based on performance and the much less time spent on the court on the way to final, Sinner is looking like a better pick.

But someone has to chose Meddy and I've been wrong with so many picks this AO, so what's another one. Let it be Meddy in 4.

edit: one more voter put Meddy in 4.

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Bookies put Sinner as a favorite and by a bigger margin than I thought they will.