Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Medvedev in five sets

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
In short, I'd have been happier if Sinner won it it 3 or 4 and not like this which sucked for Medvedev. If he'd won say the first set, lost the second and then won the next 2 we'd have been like, ok, so clearly the bookies had it right with the pricing for the fatigue factor and it would've been less painful for Medvedev.

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
In front, I'd have been happier if Sinner won it it 3 or 4 and not like this which sucked for Medvedev. If he'd won say the first set, lost the second and then won the next 2 we'd have been like, ok, so clearly the bookies had it right with the pricing for the fatigue factor and it would've been less painful for Medvedev.
I listen to Meddys presser he was fairly upbeat about his loss, as fans I understand it 'sucks'

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I am glad Sinner is on the board. A good start to the year. I hope he can back it up with another slam this year. Realistically, I can see it happen at the US Open, but would love to see him take greater steps at RG and Wimbledon. Sometimes these things happen weirdly and once you win, the target becomes too much. I am hoping he has great results overall for the year. I like Jannik’s demeanor it lends itself to helping him work through things on the court.

Reactions: Moxie

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I am glad Sinner is on the board. A good start to the year. I hope he can back it up with another slam this year. Realistically, I can see it happen at the US Open, but would love to see him take greater steps at RG and Wimbledon. Sometimes these things happen weirdly and once you win, the target becomes too much. I am hoping he has great results overall for the year. I like Jannik’s demeanor it lends itself to helping him work through things on the court.
I actually think he has a very good shot at winning Wimbledon this year. He is behind Djokovic and Alcaraz, but with Sinner’s improved serve AND mental resiliency, I would not be surprised if he lifts the Wimbledon trophy.

Reactions: atttomole and Moxie

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Well, in fairness Sinner couldn't duplicate how he played against Djokovic either and won 'cos of Medvedev's fatigue. If Medvedev wasn't so passive in the latter half of set 3, this would've gone the other way. Zverev is definitely far, far better at 3 setters than he is at 5.
I like Meddy, I really do. But we have to call a spade a spade. Managing your body and your level in the slams is what separates a good player from the elite. From the get go you should be prepared and conditioned to win seven 5-set matches. We can say if this if that about alot of things. The reality is in a final where there are no more matches to play this week, he was up two sets. He had three more sets available to win just 1 and he couldn't do it. I thought he would have learned from the Nadal final, but like you said instead of staying aggressive which was yielding abundant fruit, he got tentative, passive and took his foot off the gas.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Another factor in this match was when you give Sinner time on the ball, he makes you pay,

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I like Meddy, I really do. But we have to call a spade a spade. Managing your body and your level in the slams is what separates a good player from the elite. From the get go you should be prepared and conditioned to win seven 5-set matches. We can say if this if that about alot of things. The reality is in a final where there are no more matches to play this week, he was up two sets. He had three more sets available to win just 1 and he couldn't do it. I thought he would have learned from the Nadal final, but like you said instead of staying aggressive which was yielding abundant fruit, he got tentative, passive and took his foot off the gas.
I agree. Also, let's face it, the best player in the tournament won the final. Medvedev played long matches against players he shouldn't have gotten into such a tussle with. He was in a 4th set with a qualifier I never heard of in the first round, he went 5 with Ruusouvouri (Vowel Dude)...ironically, (or not) his easiest match was straights v. Felix. Yes, you have to be fit enough for 7 x 5-set matches, but you'd be better off not getting into so many of them.

I don't know how much you can ask a player to play outside of their comfort zone, but he did have a perfect game plan v. Djokovic at the US Open and executed it. (A little help from Novak with the tension for the CYGS.) He's got things to think about. It's an ignominious record he now holds, but @MargaretMcAleer says he was upbeat in the presser. I hope he bounces back better than the he did from the loss v. Nadal in 2022. I think he will. He'll have more chances, and I think he'll come good on them.

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
here's a 20-minute extended highlights vid from Wide World of Sport channel (but, it may not be available outside of AU)

Daniil's Presser...

Jannik on Eurosport following his victory!

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
good to find out what TV ratings , in AU and USA especially, for the womens and mens final this year and then compare these to last years!

Last edited:

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Thanks Christ that the mens singles became a long-ish competitive final because spare a thought on the crowds nearest the courts who've had to fork-out AU $6000 for tickets. Imagine if it had been you that paid this exorbiatant amount and you were expecting a highly competitive final only to see it over in straight sets in maybe two hour duration.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Thanks Christ that the mens singles became a long-ish competitive final because spare a thought on the crowds nearest the courts who've had to fork-out AU $6000 for tickets. Imagine if it had been you that paid this exorbitant amount and you were expecting a highly competitive final only to see it over in straight sets in maybe two hour duration.

It almost happened, but the night was saved by Daniil who can't seem to finish off an opponent no matter the lead! I passed out after he went up 2 sets to none! I guess I should have known better! Last year had to hurt, but to go down to Sinner; the agony has to be crushing! :astonished-face: :fearful-face: :yawningface:

Reactions: Vince Evert

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Did you see/hear during the trophies presentation how the crowds booed the Australian PM Anthony Albanese ? Not good look was it. But why do they have to aknowledge and/or have elongated australian open "dignitaries" at all ? Presentation of ceremonies should not be expected to last more than 10 minutes i reckon.

By contrast you don't see Wimbledon, The US or French Opens acknowledge their "dignitaries" including government members during their trophy ceremonies.

Tennis Australia needs to change this and also find another ticketing agency to replace Ticketmaster in these cost of living times (for reasons i mention before).

Reactions: tented and Fiero425

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
here's a 20-minute extended highlights vid from Wide World of Sport channel (but, it may not be available outside of AU)

Daniil's Presser...

Jannik on Eurosport following his victory!

I saw a few mins. of an Aussie highlight show on ABC! It just showed the lead up to the finals for Sabalenka & Sinner; esp. his upset of Novak! :fearful-face:

Last edited:

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It almost happened, but the night was saved by Daniil who can't seem to finish off an opponent no matter the lead! I passed out after he went up 2 sets to none! I guess I should have known better! Last year had to hurt, but to go down to Sinner; the agony has to be crushing! :astonished-face: :fearful-face: :yawningface:
yes, that's two times now he's blown a 2-0 lead in the final of the AO in last three years. Has any other player endured a same result playing a final in any of the Slams? I can't think of one certainly not post 1967 when Tennis went "Open". Daniil certainly made history but for the wrong reason.

• Haha
Reactions: Fiero425

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Did you see/hear during the trophies presentation how the crowds booed the Australian PM Anthony Albanese ? Not good look was it. But why do they have to aknowledge and/or have elongated australian open "dignitaries" at all ? Presentation of ceremonies should not be expected to last more than 10 minutes i reckon.

By contrast you don't see Wimbledon, The US or French Opens acknowledge their "dignitaries" including government members during their trophy ceremonies.

Tennis Australia needs to change this and also find another ticketing agency to replace Ticketmaster in these cost of living times (for reasons i mention before).
I agree there is no need to acknowledge Australian dignitaries, quite frankly given his present unpopular status Albo, I wasnt surprised he was booed!

Reactions: Vince Evert

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I agree there is no need to acknowledge Australian dignitaries, quite frankly given his present unpopular status Albo, I wasnt surprised he was booed!
hey Margaret! Well he better pull his socks up soon and the government as a whole start to resolve some of the issues dominating right across australia, PRONTO, such as the cost of living, hospital and ambulance ramping (really dire here in adelaide).

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Margaret i got to ask, which final was your favourite? Nadal vs Medvedev 2022 or Sinner vs Medvedev 2024 ?

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
hey Margaret! Well he better pull his socks up soon and the government as a whole start to resolve some of the issues dominating right across australia, PRONTO, such as the cost of living, hospital and ambulance ramping (really dire here in adelaide).
Vince,
It is the same here in Sydney, sad to say, I have friends in Melbourne, they also say it is bad