Who wins?

IMG_5626.jpeg
IMG_5627.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: AnonymousFan

tented

Administrator
Reactions
I think Zverev will be both mentally and physically spent after today. Also, it will be a night match so Medvedev won’t be bothered by the heat, as he was during the Hurkacz match.

Medvedev in 3.

Reactions: nehmeth and Moxie

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
BTW Alcaraz's loss in the QF means that Medvedev can pass him for World No 2 with a title at the AO

Reactions: Moxie

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Zverev on facing Medvedev for the first time in a Grand Slam,

"He's been kicking my ass a lot over the last year or so". ( as a Medvedev fan lets hope that trend continues in the SF :)

• Haha
Reactions: tossip

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Zverev to get his first grand slam title!!
I can't remember who it was, but might have been Rennae Stubbs picked him as her dark horse before the tournament started.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I went with Medvedev in 4, though it's as much gut as logic. Is it possible that Zverev can have as good a serving day as he had today? Possible, but not likely, and he'll need it. I'd also go with Medvedev's belief, having won a Major, and having already been a finalist here. Has Sacha decided to grow some bravery and belief? Will winning today carry him to a new level? If so, credit to him, but I'll believe it when I see it.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I think Medvedev will be relieved that he has been given the night match on RLA, though looking at the weather forecast for Melbourne, the day time temperature is going to be much cooler than the conditions he has played his last 2 matches, when he struggled physically and mentally at times, though he found a way to win, always a mark of a good player.
Medvedev is always a tricky player to contend with at the best of times, he loves the hard courts, and has the results to back it up
Can Zverev repeat his performance again? he has always found Medvedev a handful and this is their first meeting in a GS SF
Medvedev in 4 sets.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
The octopus with the widow’s peak or the guy accused of beating up his girlfriend. :thinking-face: If I went by who I liked, I would pick Daniil. But Zverev took down one of my favorites pretty handily. Maybe there will be a letdown, or maybe there will a confidence boost that takes him past Med. Picked Zverev in 4.

Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Particularly reading the 2 posts above, from Margaret and Nehmeth, who both make good arguments for each player, this match is very hard to pick. Even @Front242 likely won't be wasting any money on this one, and he's a Medvedev fan, or was. They've both spent a lot of time on court this fortnight, (and I'm sure the commies will have the exact times pre-match.) Zverev comes off a sort-of great victory, in that he played some of the best tennis of his life, then flagged at the 3rd set close. There is a reason that the instant that Alcaraz won that 3rd set that the commentators and betting odds pick Charley to win that match - because Sasha is a notorious folder. However, pulling off a great win comes with rewards of confidence. Medvedev rather merely "survived" Hubie.

Personally, I don't think Zverev will produce the same serving day, nor do I think he'll get as many serves past The Octopus. Medvedev is the more thoughtful player, though they are both given to exploding. I'll stick with Medvedev in 4.

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Meddy playing 'mind games already' keeps Sasha waiting before they both head out to the court
Go Meddy!
There is not a lot of love between these 2 players

Last edited:
  • Haha

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
And just like that it's over. Zed imploded at 2-2 and a pretty frosty handshake at net. This guy will be gutted after the USO final and now this collapse from 2 sets up.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
And just like that it's over. Zed imploded at 2-2 and a pretty frosty handshake at net. This guy will be gutted after the USO final and now this collapse from 2 sets up.
I was wrong Sascha choked again

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I lost connection after the 1st set UGH well done Meddy, it was tough, you pulled through and what a comeback Meddy!

Last edited: