2024 ATP General News

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Yikes...that was the best that Netflix could do, with that ugly trophy? Anyway, good news is that nobody got hurt. Rafa looked pretty good, for age and rust. Timing a bit off. Serve not sharp, but all-in-all a sight for sore eyes. You have to think that Alcaraz "should" have won it, anyway, so to save 5 MPs was good.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Oh, and I meant to say: for all the commies say that Rafa should feel good about how he looks in this comeback, you can tell by the tight smile at the net that he doesn't even like to lose an exhibition. Good! Keep the fighting spirit! I'm sure he did have fun, and will feel good about how he played, but I'm happy to see the competitive fire is still there. He doesn't look like a man headed for a victory lap.

Reactions: shawnbm

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Oh, and I meant to say: for all the commies say that Rafa should feel good about how he looks in this comeback, you can tell by the tight smile at the net that he doesn't even like to lose an exhibition. Good! Keep the fighting spirit! I'm sure he did have fun, and will feel good about how he played, but I'm happy to see the competitive fire is still there. He doesn't look like a man headed for a victory lap.
Even when this exho started Rafa had his 'match face on' which was good to see

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Ugh … I have to go to a family dinner and will have to miss the rest. Hopefully Netflix will show it again. Enjoy, @MargaretMcAleer
Yes, they are replaying it on Netflix. You've probably read the spoilers here, but it worth watching the rest. Hope you had a nice evening with family.

Reactions: tented

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I am enjoying thus match between Tabilo and Baez ...The silence in that stadium is deafening ..lol.I am happy that Baez is winning especially after the way they treated Moutet.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
The crowd in Santiago is no different from the Roland Garros bozos.Baez did a good job of taking control and in the end Tabilo failed to use the crowd to his advantage.

Reactions: Fiero425

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
World No 5 Andrey Rublev has had more than $150,000 of prize money and 200 ranking points reinstated after the ATP admitted fault in his disqualification last week. However, Rublev's appeal to the ATP has been partially successful with the tour admitting the full sanction would have been 'disproportionate' although the fine of nearly $ 36,000 has been allowed to stand ( source James Grey @ jamesgreysport.). I will alter the ranking standings on the Top Ten for Monday 4th March.

Andrey Rublev on his instagram page,
" I want to thank the appeal committee for approving my appeal and changing course on the ATPs initial decision of disqualifying me from the Dubai semi final and taking away the ranking points and prize money I earned last week.I hope that in the future, the ATP will take a closer look at this rule and make changes to it, so that an official can't force a match outcome without having clear evidence and not letting the player have a video review. While I am disappointed that I wasn't able to finish my semi final in Dubai, I am grateful for all the support I had from you in the last two days. Thank you to everyone supporting me, I promise I will learn from this and try to be a better player and better person".

Last edited:
Reactions: nehmeth

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
World No 5 Andrey Rublev has had more than $150,000 of prize money and 200 ranking points reinstated after the ATP admitted fault in his disqualification last week. However, Rublev's appeal to the ATP has been partially successful with the tour admitting the full sanction would have been 'disproportionate' although the fine of nearly $ 36,000 has been allowed to stand ( source James Grey @ jamesgreysport.). I will alter the ranking standings on the Top Ten for Monday 4th March.

Andrey Rublev on his instagram page,
" I want to thank the appeal committee for approving my appeal and changing course on the ATPs initial decision of disqualifying me from the Dubai semi final and taking away the ranking points and prize money I earned last week.I hope that in the future, the ATP will take a closer look at this rule and make changes to it, so that an official can't force a match outcome without having clear evidence and not letting the player have a video review. While I am disappointed that I wasn't able to finish my semi final in Dubai, I am grateful for all the support I had from you in the last two days. Thank you to everyone supporting me, I promise I will learn from this and try to be a better player and better person".
The complete lack of any apology from Rublev to the linesperson, who he got in the face of the linesperson and verbally abused in this post? noone deserves to be verbally abused Rublev, this is not the first time either? Unbelievable !

Last edited:
Reactions: kskate2

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
The complete lack of any apology from Rublev to the linesperson, who he got in the face of the linesperson and verbally abused in this post? noone deserves to be verbally abused Rublev, this is not the first time either? Unbelievable !
That's a travesty!he shouted in the man's face spitting stank saliva all over his face.He got off easy and should be ashamed of himself.I hope he is suspended for a bit.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
That's a travesty!he shouted in the man's face spitting stank saliva all over his face.He got off easy and should be ashamed of himself.I hope he is suspended for a bit.
No he wont be suspended Tossip all the men have to do like Zverev when he abused the umpire and hit his racket at the bottom of the umpires chair a few years ago, is to go on Twitter and say sorry?, though Zverev was suspended from the tournament, ASAP, he didnt appeal he then went on Twitter and said sorry.
Rublev appealed and got his ranking points back and prize money, though he still has to pay a fine of around $30,000

Last edited:
Reactions: tossip

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
No he wont be suspended Tossip all the men have to do like Zverev when he abused the umpire and hit his racket at the bottom of the umpires chair a few years ago, is to go on Twitter and say sorry?, though Zverev was suspended from the tournament, ASAP, he didnt appeal he then went on Twitter and said sorry.
Rublev appealed and got his ranking points back and prize money, though he still has to pay a fine of around $30,000
I remember watching John McEnroe berate lines people and chair umpires. Jimmy Connors had his moments as well. It’s what I grew up with. For the tournament chair to drop the hammer was wrong. And from what I have read of the rules, it did not follow protocol. On top of that there was no clear evidence that Rublev swore at the lines person. If you make a bad call at a key point of a match, you should be ready to be confronted for it.

I remember when Serena went after the lines person and threatened her… it was recorded and you could hear it.

This was a pitched battle and every point mattered. People are welcome to disagree, but to me, disqualification was overreach. The ATP knew they would lose if there was litigation and made things right, as they should have. Should Rublev apologize to the lines person? Do lines people apologize for making terrible calls?

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I remember watching John McEnroe berate lines people and chair umpires. Jimmy Connors had his moments as well. It’s what I grew up with. For the tournament chair to drop the hammer was wrong. And from what I have read of the rules, it did not follow protocol. On top of that there was no clear evidence that Rublev swore at the lines person. If you make a bad call at a key point of a match, you should be ready to be confronted for it.

I remember when Serena went after the lines person and threatened her… it was recorded and you could hear it.

This was a pitched battle and every point mattered. People are welcome to disagree, but to me, disqualification was overreach. The ATP knew they would lose if there was litigation and made things right, as they should have. Should Rublev apologize to the lines person? Do lines people apologize for making terrible calls?
Lets look at the present okay not the past,
Rublev has a habit of abusing officials and also recently he 'got in the face of a cameraman" apart from Rublev ' self harming himself' with his racquet' he has serious anger issues which to date he cannot control
Noone has the right to verbally abuse anyone in any work place period and get in their face?
If it happened in my work place the person would be suspended and have to go to immediate anger management course before they could return to their duties
Do you remember the Zverev incident a couple of years ago, when he 'lost it' and went and abused the umpire in his chair and was banging his racquet on the umpires chair? he got suspended and rightfully so!
As far as I am concerned the present ATP is weak as water, now relenting and giving someone a fine when the person who has serious anger issues like Rublev., to date he cannot control, he did not say sorry to the linesperson he got in his face and verbally abused? Unbelievable!

Reactions: kskate2 and tossip

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Lets look at the present okay not the past,
Rublev has a habit of abusing officials and also recently he 'got in the face of a cameraman" apart from Rublev ' self harming himself' with his racquet' he has serious anger issues which to date he cannot control
Noone has the right to verbally abuse anyone in any work place period and get in their face?
If it happened in my work place the person would be suspended and have to go to immediate anger management course before they could return to their duties
Do you remember the Zverev incident a couple of years ago, when he 'lost it' and went and abused the umpire in his chair and was banging his racquet on the umpires chair? he got suspended and rightfully so!
As far as I am concerned the present ATP is weak as water, now relenting and giving someone a fine when the person who has serious anger issues like Rublev., to date he cannot control, he did not say sorry to the linesperson he got in his face and verbally abused? Unbelievable!
He gets really angry for no clear reason..unless if it is roidrage.

• Haha
Reactions: Fiero425

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
John McEnroe was defaulted for poor behavior in which no one was struck, too. This is not without precedent. I'm still mulling this one over. I don't think it matters if Rublev used bad language. Did you see him screaming in the lines person's face? As I think @kskate2 pointed out, or maybe Margaret...do you get to act like this in the workplace? Do people deserve to be so abused? It was K who pointed out that he could have challlenged the call, rather than going straight for the lines person.

Rublev has since spoken about his anger-management issues, and that it doesn't serve him. Truthfully, and poignantly, I think.
And she lost the match because of it.
Rublev was leading in that set by a break, and nearly two. He was mad at himself. Do people deserve to be abused if you're angry at yourself? I agree that it may have been an "overreach," but tennis tends to decorum. I don't actually mind that. Letter of the law, I guess the ATP had to back down. But Rublev has a lot to think about and deal with, and he seems to know it.

Reactions: kskate2 and nehmeth

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
John McEnroe was defaulted for poor behavior in which no one was struck, too. This is not without precedent. I'm still mulling this one over. I don't think it matters if Rublev used bad language. Did you see him screaming in the lines person's face? As I think @kskate2 pointed out, or maybe Margaret...do you get to act like this in the workplace? Do people deserve to be so abused? It was K who pointed out that he could have challlenged the call, rather than going straight for the lines person.

Rublev has since spoken about his anger-management issues, and that it doesn't serve him. Truthfully, and poignantly, I think.

And she lost the match because of it.

Rublev was leading in that set by a break, and nearly two. He was mad at himself. Do people deserve to be abused if you're angry at yourself? I agree that it may have been an "overreach," but tennis tends to decorum. I don't actually mind that. Letter of the law, I guess the ATP had to back down. But Rublev has a lot to think about and deal with, and he seems to know it.
Please Rublev's letter is full of entitlement ? I am the victim in this? there is no apology where it is warranted to the linesperson. He wants to become a better player and person after this? time will tell, so far he cannot control his anger.and has been a serial offender that cant' control his anger, either towards himself, eg hitting himself with his racquet or getting in the face of officials with his verbal abuse.

Last edited:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Please Rublev's letter is full of entitlement ? I am the victim in this? there is no apology where it is warranted to the linesperson. He wants to become a better player and person after this? time will tell, so far he cannot control his anger.and has been a serial offender that cant' control his anger, either towards himself, eg hitting himself with his racquet or getting in the face of officials with his verbal abuse.
The question is if the umpire/tournament director over-stepped. It's an interesting question.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
The question is if the umpire/tournament director over-stepped. It's an interesting question.
Is a player allowed to get in the face of a linesperson and abuse them? I dont think so, Rublev went over to the linesperson and got in his face and verbally abused him? is that acceptable? we are also talking about a player that does have anger issues, and this is nt the first time he has verbally abused? quite frankly someone in his team/ or manager should advise him to go to anger management courses,
The umpire/tournament director have the right and the rules to behind them to make the call, it is not a matter of 'over stepping' in my view, yes all incidents have to be based on what goes on in a match, to me the ranking points and prize money should have stood, then it might have been a 'wake up' call for Rublev to do something about his temper.Yaddah Yaddah I will try and be a better player and person Talk the Talk Rublev! he only said that after he got his ranking points and prize money back? of course this will be forgotton because he has come on Twitter and posted, just like Zverev did it is a Joke!
It is About Time for the Weak ATP to stop this verbal abuse from players, in other work places it is Not Acceptable full stop,! so why should it be accepted in tennis! These linespeople I have interviewed them at a tournament in Sydney a few years ago, they do it because they love the game why should they be open to this verbal abuse!
Rublev didnt have the decency in his post to apologize to the lines person that he went up to and got in his face and verbally abused him? I dont think anyone can defend his actions full stop

Last edited:

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions

If disqualification was overreach then why give that kind of power to the tournament supervisor in the first place? The ATP just screwed themselves by watering down his punishment. They look like fools. They need to grow a pair, take a stand and stick to it. But, they remain incapable of doing that. Zed is the poster boy for social misfits. He's been allowed to run rampant for the last 2-3 years w/ this domestic thing hanging over the tour and then his own DQ.

Hair Dude is a piece of work. After watching my behavior on replay, I would have been so embarrassed that I could not even think of appealing the decision. No line call or lack thereof entitles someone to go off the way he did. @MargaretMcAleer is right. It's utter rubbish and a victim mentality he's parading around like he was hard done by. Giving his points and $ back is not teaching him anything other than if I whine loud enough (even when dead wrong) I can get my way. Again, this could have all been avoided w/ a challenge of the call.