2024 ATP General News

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Happy New Year gang! New thread for new news.

1704171410595.png

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Happy New Year, K! Turned on TC to watch Novak lose the rare TB to Lehecka (CZE) in United Cup match. Then the MTO for a big rub on his right lower arm/wrist? Onto the 3rd set they go.

EDIT: Luckily he recovered and won the 3rd set 6-1.

Last edited:
Reactions: kskate2

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Just got back home from work and have recorded Rafa's match though I was checking the scores at work
Well done Rafa, thank goodness you won as I would never heard the end of it from AP if you had lost :)
BTW that was Rafa's 1069th win, which takes him into outright fourth past Ivan Lendl for most wins in ATP history

Last edited:

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Your thoughts @tented @Moxie

I was very impressed especially with his movement. He looks fresh and quick..it appears that he has his complete arsenal of weapons and tennis touches at the net..I hopeful that his body recovers well.
I forgot to record it so I’ve only seen that short video. Based on that, though, I’d say he looks great!

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I forgot to record it so I’ve only seen that short video. Based on that, though, I’d say he looks great!
I finally got to see the whole thing. I thought he looks terrific. He's clearly been putting in the hard work. Serve was working great, footwork crisp. So much for the truism that Rafa needs lots of matches to feel confident. I think that's an old story.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I finally got to see the whole thing. I thought he looks terrific. He's clearly been putting in the hard work. Serve was working great, footwork crisp. So much for the truism that Rafa needs lots of matches to feel confident. I think that's an old story.
I finished watching, my overall thoughts was ' the level Rafa' brought to the match, for his first match, coming back from hip surgery, I was impressed,

Reactions: the AntiPusher

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I finished watching, my overall thoughts was ' the level Rafa' brought to the match, for his first match, coming back from hip surgery, I was impressed,
It may have been a good start to draw Thiem. I get @the AntiPusher's concern, but, in hindsight, Rafa did know he had to come out hot. It was a high-level match for the first round of a 250. Two Major winners, after all. Besides his game, Rafa's intensity is at his usual "11." As to Thiem, there are still reasons for concern. His level and belief dropped off after losing a tight first set. It gets harder and harder to believe that he can sustain a seriously competitive level.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
It may have been a good start to draw Thiem. I get @the AntiPusher's concern, but, in hindsight, Rafa did know he had to come out hot. It was a high-level match for the first round of a 250. Two Major winners, after all. Besides his game, Rafa's intensity is at his usual "11." As to Thiem, there are still reasons for concern. His level and belief dropped off after losing a tight first set. It gets harder and harder to believe that he can sustain a seriously competitive level.
As I tried to point out to AP, I have watched Thiem in challenger matches and also other tournaments in which he received a WC, Dom is nowhere near the level he was at before his wrist injury and quite frankly he hasnt improved, he is 30 years old now since his return has not been able to win a tournament even at challenger level, and agree with your thoughts his days of being a serious competitor is looking far fetched.I am not getting ahead of myself with Rafa's win, the tournaments in 2024 have just started, hopefully he can remain injury free.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
As I tried to point out to AP, I have watched Thiem in challenger matches and also other tournaments in which he received a WC, Dom is nowhere near the level he was at before his wrist injury and quite frankly he hasnt improved, he is 30 years old now since his return has not been able to win a tournament even at challenger level, and agree with your thoughts his days of being a serious competitor is looking far fetched.I am not getting ahead of myself with Rafa's win, the tournaments in 2024 have just started, hopefully he can remain injury free.
Rafa has already stated that he's the last one to get ahead of himself, but it was a pretty good-looking return.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Rafa has already stated that he's the last one to get ahead of himself, but it was a pretty good-looking return.
Thats a typical Rafa down to earth statement, he has always been level headed, though I think deep down he would be pretty pleased at his level in the match

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Saved 5 MPs
Roman Safiullin gets another win in Brisbane, defeating Alexi Popyrin after a thrilling match 67(9) 65 76(3) to reach the QFs
up 37 in the live rankings

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I thought thiem played a good first set. Folks I think we finally got from Rafa what I have been asking for years, Practice Rafa playing liike he does in practice, more first strike tennis which can put an enormous amount of pressure on his opponent's defense. Well the sample size is way too small but I like what I saw Monday night.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Confidence for non Big 3 plus Andy and Stan has always been an embattled mental war with these players whenever they have came back from major or numerous injuries. The only player I can recall that has been able to regain his form has been Monfils. MM I truly understand and appreciate your thoughts in regards to Dominic lack of being able to compete at the level he once was able to play. Let's give him THIS year to get through this non American HC swing and a full clay season to see if he can finally crack back up into the top 50 level. I think he is #98 currently.

lomaha

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
To @MargaretMcAleer

I wanted to answer your post on Holger Rune in the 2023 thread but it was closed. I just wanted you to know that Holger has added a fysio to his team - Louis Fresneau from the Mouratoglou Academy. So I hope that will help him improve his strength.

lomaha

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
Did Djokvic get injured at United Cup? Thought I saw him stretching af bit.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Did Djokvic get injured at United Cup? Thought I saw him stretching af bit.
He took a MTO when he lost the 2nd set to Lehecka the other day, having lower arm rubbed, and they said later it was his wrist. I just saw that he lost to De Minaur today, and there are concerns about the wrist? So that's what I've seen/heard.