2022 Grass season preview

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Now that the 2022 Clay court season is officially over, we move onto the Grass.

What are your expectations for this year's Grass season? As a reminder Russian and Belarusians ARE banned on playing at Wimbledon, but they are able to play grass tournaments outside of England.

Zverev is more than likely out of the Grass season due to his right ankle injury.

Federer and Nishikori are also out of Grass due to recovering from their own injuries themselves.

Matteo Berrettini is back on grass after missing the entire Clay court season due to having minor surgery on his right wrist.

Last edited:
Reactions: tented and Moxie

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Djokovic, Nadal (hopefully), Cilic, FAA, Berrettini, Shapovalov, Kyrgios ( good for a seeded upset) Alcaraz and Rublev is my list.

ETA:
Add Taylor , Sebastian K and the cherubic sweet Holger Rune

• Haha
Reactions: Moxie

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Well depending on how he and Carlos do during grass season Ruud or Carlos could be the 4th seed easily most definitely if Nadal isn’t playing. That would be a big boost for both players.
Dark horses: Cilic, Rune, Fritz

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
In my opinion, the players that have A LOT to gain and prove this Grass season:

FAA
Taylor Fritz (IF he shows his IW/Miami level)
Hurkacz (had a good Clay season)
Cilic (reached RG SF)

I did not pick Alcaraz not because he can not be a good grass player, I think he is very talented enough to do well on grass, I just think that this year might be too early for him to reach let's say a QF at Wimbledon. I will not be surprised though, if he does reach the QF of Wimbledon.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
In my opinion, the players that have A LOT to gain and prove this Grass season:

FAA
Taylor Fritz (IF he shows his IW/Miami level)
Hurkacz (had a good Clay season)
Cilic (reached RG SF)

I did not pick Alcaraz not because he can not be a good grass player, I think he is very talented enough to do well on grass, I just think that this year might be too early for him to reach let's say a QF at Wimbledon. I will not be surprised though, if he does reach the QF of Wimbledon.
I agree with most of that, except I am still out on Alcaraz on grass, I feel his serve still needs to improve, it can be very shaky.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I think Carlos and Toni(no doubt Toni still has a voice in the Nadal camp) will convince Rafa that he should try to play Wimbledon if his foot pain tolerance is at a very manageable level, IMO.

Reactions: Kieran

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
FAA and Novak's defense is what is potentially problematic for Nadal's third title hopes.Both players have the spot serving, BH , CC FH and drop shots that will be a pain in the ass for Rafa's defense, IMO.

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
FAA and Novak's defense is what is potentially problematic for Nadal's third title hopes.Both players have the spot serving, BH , CC FH and drop shots that will be a pain in the ass for Rafa's defense, IMO.
Not just FAA and Djokovic, but there will a lot of players that can trouble Nadal at Wimbledon especially in the 1st week.

The good thing is that Nadal will be in the opposite half of Djokovic, if he does play and I am just hoping that FAA does not land in Nadal's quarter.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
What do people think of Hubi whose game I think suits the grass? he did not have a bad clay season

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Not just FAA and Djokovic, but there will a lot of players that can trouble Nadal at Wimbledon especially in the 1st week.

The good thing is that Nadal will be in the opposite half of Djokovic, if he does play and I am just hoping that FAA does not land in Nadal's quarter.
Remember, I Always reference levels to the game of tennis..you are correct there are Rafa haters beloved Dustin Browns Nicky K that can trouble Nadal if he is playing passively. Rafa is playing with house money but Margaret's post really is concerning..I think I will go to the beach with my doggie and try to enjoy this championship title day. Chao

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
What do people think of Hubi whose game I think suits the grass? he did not have a bad clay season
I think Hubi will do well again on Grass this year.

One thing I like about the draw this year is that the dangerous players that can potentially beat Nadal at Wimbledon this year do not have face him before Quarterfinals. Let's see the potential seeded players from 3-12

3. Ruud
4.Alcaraz
5.Tsitsipas
6. FAA
7. Norrie
8. Matteo
9.Sinner
10.Hurkacz
11. Fritz
12. Diego

Because Nadal will be seeded 2nd at Wimbledon, he does not have to face any one of those players before QFs.

Now, potential seeded players from 13-16 are a different story:

13. Shapovalov
14.Cilic
15. Opelka
16. PCB

As you could see, three of those players can upset Nadal at Wimbledon due to their power game and if Nadal does not return well.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I think Hubi will do well again on Grass this year.

One thing I like about the draw this year is that the dangerous players that can potentially beat Nadal at Wimbledon this year do not have face him before Quarterfinals. Let's see the potential seeded players from 3-12

3. Ruud
4.Alcaraz
5.Tsitsipas
6. FAA
7. Norrie
8. Matteo
9.Sinner
10.Hurkacz
11. Fritz
12. Diego

Because Nadal will be seeded 2nd at Wimbledon, he does not have to face any one of those players before QFs.

Now, potential seeded players from 13-16 are a different story:

13. Shapovalov
14.Cilic
15. Opelka
16. PCB

As you could see, three of those players can upset Nadal at Wimbledon due to their power game and if Nadal does not return well.
Remember you are saying if the greatest return of service in the game (statistically it's Rafa but because his serve is not as good big as Novak's he is perceived as the better returner) does not return well. Vett it and check for yourself..I'm not debating your post but it's really a myth that Nadal's return of service isn't near the top of the ATP tour.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It seems we're all wondering who the potential problems are for Rafa, but Djokovic will be favorite...who are potential problems for him? Same ones? Opelka is a good shout-out as a troublemaker.

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It seems we're all wondering who the potential problems are for Rafa, but Djokovic will be favorite...who are potential problems for him? Same ones? Opelka is a good shout-out as a troublemaker.
Other than Nadal himself, the biggest problem for Djokovic is FAA. Second will probably be Hurkacz and then Opelka, like you say, Moxie.

It is just disappointing that we are not able to see Medvedev play at Wimbledon because he has the game to do well at grass (just unlucky that his match against Hurkacz last year became a two day match.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Other than Nadal himself, the biggest problem for Djokovic is FAA. Second will probably be Hurkacz and then Opelka, like you say, Moxie.

It is just disappointing that we are not able to see Medvedev play at Wimbledon because he has the game to do well at grass (just unlucky that his match against Hurkacz last year became a two day match.
I still think it's a shame that Medvedev and others won't be allowed to play due to national affiliation. I wonder who might shake out to be dangerous floaters, once the grass tune-ups start.

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Remember you are saying if the greatest return of service in the game (statistically it's Rafa but because his serve is not as good big as Novak's he is perceived as the better returner) does not return well. Vett it and check for yourself..I'm not debating your post but it's really a myth that Nadal's return of service isn't near the top of the ATP tour.
For 2022:

for Career:

3 guesses only player in both lists as top 3….

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
For 2022:

for Career:

3 guesses only player in both lists as top 3….
Thanks JF