2022 Grass season preview

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Kieran and the southern Italian..Cressy has a compact and complete serve and volley game but his combos are predictable. His groundstrokes are squeaky and he will get carved up by a better like Fritz or better.

I only watched a lit'l at the end! Cressy's a throwback from a bygone era! He had a few nice volleys, but combos were easily thwarted by Taylor! :-)2

Last edited:

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
No thread for Newport so posting here but Murray plays Querrey at Newport tomorrow and Lopez v Vesely. Possibly the last time you'll ever see Lopez on a grass court I'd imagine. Quite likely he'll retire this year. Not sure if it's still the fastest grass court on tour (maybe Halle now. Not sure without researching) but it's still way faster than Wimbledon.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I
No thread for Newport so posting here but Murray plays Querrey at Newport tomorrow and Lopez v Vesely. Possibly the last time you'll ever see Lopez on a grass court I'd imagine. Quite likely he'll retire this year. Not sure if it's still the fastest grass court on tour (maybe Halle now. Not sure without researching) but it's still way faster than Wimbledon.
I think a few players will retire this year, including Rafa, Murray and Lopez. But Murray v Querrey - can there be a better match to help us detox after Wimbledon?

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Interested to see how Tim fares at Newport as well

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
I

I think a few players will retire this year, including Rafa, Murray and Lopez. But Murray v Querrey - can there be a better match to help us detox after Wimbledon?
Rafa and Murray will retire this year ? I'm not sure on that tbh. I can see both at least playing next year. I get that Rafa has a kid on the way but I doubt he'll stop just yet. Murray definitely wants a better go at Wimbledon and unless Rafa pulls ahead more by winning either the USO or AO then he's still gonna be playing to keep ahead of Djokovic imo.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Rafa and Murray will retire this year ? I'm not sure on that tbh. I can see both at least playing next year. I get that Rafa has a kid on the way but I doubt he'll stop just yet. Murray definitely wants a better go at Wimbledon and unless Rafa pulls ahead more by winning either the USO or AO then he's still gonna be playing to keep ahead of Djokovic imo.
Honestly I think Rafa should just concentrate more on the clay season, if he wants to keep playing, just my thoughts

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I replied to this in the Rafa talk thread so as not to derail this one, but with regards to Murray, I think he’s tired and disillusioned that things aren’t moving for him, and he may call it quits. I admire him for his great attempt to get back to fitness - it’s been almost 6 years now!

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I

Rafa not going to retire this year. I think he will give it another two full years and that will be the END.

Reactions: TheSicilian

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Honestly I think Rafa should just concentrate more on the clay season, if he wants to keep playing, just my thoughts
He is the defending USO champion( the last time he played he won ) and he won AO 22.. Rafa needs to be smarter in regards to the first part of the American hardcourt swing. He should have only played IW or Acapulco but not both. He should have skipped them both and waited for MC for the clay. What happened at Wimbledon was mostly too much too soon with Madrid and Rome before RG. I think he will play one of the 2nd half of the American hardcourt swing and the USO and shut it down to be a dad for the first time.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
He is the defending USO champion( the last time he played he won ) and he won AO 22.. Rafa needs to be smarter in regards to the first part of the American hardcourt swing. He should have only played IW or Acapulco but not both. He should have skipped them both and waited for MC for the clay. What happened at Wimbledon was mostly too much too soon with Madrid and Rome before RG. I think he will play one of the 2nd half of the American hardcourt swing and the USO and shut it down to be a dad for the first time.
I never said this year I am talking about 2023 for the clay season
I also think the the Amercian HC season with give us a clearer picture of Rafa and his 2023 plans, I expect him to play at a more reduced schedule.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheSicilian

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Well we shall see if what I posted in July will come to fruition for the Nadal team