2022 USO Final: Ruud vs. Alcaraz

Who will win their maiden slam thus securing the top ranking?

• Casper in straights

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Casper in 4 sets

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Charlie leads the H2H

1662783853929.png

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
ALCARAZ, in another five setter ! Bring it On :D

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Alcaraz in 4 sets
Alcaraz to me has too many offensive skills, he has the grit and mentality, we all know he can go 5 sets
A lot of the posters at TF thought earlier in the year, when having we were having a conversation, said the USO would probably is where he could win his, 1st Grand Slam title, well now his has his chance! and he can become the youngest player, tying with Pete Sampras ( 1990) at age 19, to win the USO.

Last edited:

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Hard to see a surprise here. Alcaraz is one step above Ruud and there is no reason to grab a first slam. He has very much beatable opponent. Ruud has improved a lot on HC it seems, but I will still go with Alcaraz in 3 sets. Ruthless win for a first slam.

My first gut feeling when putting the draw was Alcaraz for a win, but his form was really questionable before the USO and I changed my mind. I am glad that he found his game.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Hard to see a surprise here. Alcaraz is one step above Ruud and there is no reason to grab a first slam. He has very much beatable opponent. Ruud has improved a lot on HC it seems, but I will still go with Alcaraz in 3 sets. Ruthless win for a first slam.

My first gut feeling when putting the draw was Alcaraz for a win, but his form was really questionable before the USO and I changed my mind. I am glad that he found his game.
I want Alcaraz to win because, most especially, I want a new young great. But Ruud has been there (major final) before, and he has a good head. We just saw Swiatek, more of a clay player, win the USO, so beware Ruud. Could be a great final. But I will be rooting for Charlie, to be clear.

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
LOL! I have to think he'll get it done in 4 this time.
Yeah but i'm a greedy so-and-so. I say it would be a good look for the history books , not to mention a great ending to the championship, if it ends on a five setter with ALCARAZ winning his first major , winning four 5 setters in a row along the way. I doubt if it ever happened before. BRING IT ON !

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Or to put it another way, if you were a scriptwriter and writing out a script for the 2022 U S Open, you would probably have ALCARAZ defeats RUUD, lets say, 6-7 (9-11), 3-6, 6-3,6-4,6-4 a come back from a two sets down deficit :clap: The TV ratings and sports headlines around the world would be huge.

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I want Alcaraz to win because, most especially, I want a new young great. But Ruud has been there (major final) before, and he has a good head. We just saw Swiatek, more of a clay player, win the USO, so beware Ruud. Could be a great final. But I will be rooting for Charlie, to be clear.
I'll be rooting for Carlito too. He is already a guy people are very thrilled about to watch. Not sure of Ruud if I would be excited to watch him against Khachanov, if at all. On the other side, Tiafoe Alcaraz match was lit. Certain players just bring fire on the court and I hope too that Alcaraz is a champion in the making. He needs to win this. It will be better for tennis if he does.

Reactions: atttomole

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I wouldn't count Ruud out, I think if Ruud keeps the points long and Alcaraz is a little tired he might start doing some mistakes... However a win by Alcaraz would definitely be a bigger story in tennis and mark in the eyes of many the beginning of a new era... I certainly wouldn't mind it if it ends 22-21-20. :bye:

Reactions: TheSicilian

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
The key to this will be how well Ruud serves. He definitely needs some cheap points. I think he will get plenty of opportunities on ROS to pressure Carlos, but if he can’t serve well then he doesn’t have a shot. Also, a couple of tiebreaks wouldn’t hurt lol.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Alcaraz first serve is inconsistent too don't forget. It cost him 2 sets against Tiafoe and he really needs to work on it.

Reactions: AnonymousFan

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Alcaraz first serve is inconsistent too don't forget. It cost him 2 sets against Tiafoe and he really needs to work on it.
That’s why Ruud could have a solid shot as he does have a decent return of serve. He just has to be willing to fight during this match.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
At 19 years and 4 months Alcaraz is one win away from becoming the youngest No 1 player ever since Lleyton Hewitt who was 20 years and 8 months in 2001

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I hear what you are saying, but I think regardless of whether Alcaraz wins or not, he already is "a new young great." Everything points to that, regardless of whether he wins his first Slam today.

Nothing is guaranteed, of course, but my point is that ten years from now, I'm fairly certain we're going to be looking at an ATG resume, regardless of whether 2022 USO is his first Slam or not.

Reactions: Moxie

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
At 19 years and 4 months Alcaraz is one win away from becoming the youngest No 1 player ever since Lleyton Hewitt who was 20 years and 8 months in 2001
Hewitt will still be far and away the more impressive though because this year it's all about the mess the ATP made of the points from Wimbledon and Russian and Belarusian players being banned, not to mention the global nonsense with covid and Djokovic not being allowed play,

Reactions: AnonymousFan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Hewitt will still be far and away the more impressive though because this year it's all about the mess the ATP made of the points from Wimbledon and Russian and Belarusian players being banned, not to mention the global nonsense with covid and Djokovic not being allowed play,
Sad the way the ATP made a mess of points this year, unfair for the Russian and Belarusain players., though in saying that it is not the fault of Alcaraz and if he is able to win, all credit to him

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
For what it's worth, Ruud has been far better in this tournament than Alcaraz, winning most matches comfortably besides the match against Tommy Paul and has been better on serve and better rested with less mileage all tournament. Whether any of that makes any difference though is the thing as this is, on paper at least, the easiest match for Alcaraz since his third round match.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
If Ruud doesn't win the first set I don't fancy his chances. I don't fancy them anyway tbh in what I expect will be a pretty one sided win for Alcaraz.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Alcaraz vs Ruud: US Open 2022 Stats

Carlos Alcaraz Head to HeadCasper Ruud
20 hrs 19 minsTime on Court18 hrs 28 mins
235Total Games Played236
25Total Sets23
815Total points771
341Total winners342
24Aces36
21Double Faults22
45/98Break Points won35/84
0/4Tie Breakers Won4/7

Despite the 3 x consecutive 5 set matches Alcaraz has played, time on court is only 2 hours more which is surprising so fatigue is not an issue. The stat that sticks out most is Alcaraz hasn't won a single TB out of 4 which is very poor. Ruud also hit 12 more aces which is significant. Ruud has also hit 1 more winner (342 to 341) despite having played over 2 hours less which is also surprising. That said, this match up favours Alcaraz heavily, especially with the pace of backhand to backhand exchanges.

Last edited:
Reactions: Moxie