2022 Grass season preview

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Although Novak is in a great position to win another Wimbledon, he still has to earn it. His last 2 matches when he had to step up (USO 21 final, RG 22 QF) he failed and it will be interesting to see how he copes with pressure again now that his chances of participating slams are very limited.

I can already see some anger and smashed rackets coming from him when things turn south and I feel it will be a bumpy road this year. Sometimes when it looks too easy it turns out to be pretty hard. So let's see how it's going to be.
Correct. Add in the cracks to his armor and he's not as dominant in the locker room. He's vulnerable to an upset from an on-fire young gun.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Although Novak is in a great position to win another Wimbledon, he still has to earn it. His last 2 matches when he had to step up (USO 21 final, RG 22 QF) he failed and it will be interesting to see how he copes with pressure again now that his chances of participating slams are very limited.

I can already see some anger and smashed rackets coming from him when things turn south and I feel it will be a bumpy road this year. Sometimes when it looks too easy it turns out to be pretty hard. So let's see how it's going to be.
I think we all know that Novak is very invested in the Slam race, and I think it was a feature in his loss to Nadal last week. While there was lots of palaver over night session and crowd favoritism, etc., I think they both went into that match last week knowing they were all-but playing for the title. However much Charly Alcaraz was the 3rd fave, or not, they also knew he was out by the time they played. I can't remember if Tsitsipas was already out, but...give me a break. Novak knew that he had to beat Rafa to keep him from going 2-up. And it was Rafa on home-turf. Not trying to put salt into the wound, but this will be what Novak takes into Wimbledon, as you rightly say. Including participation in the USO and AO, in the future. The pressure on him to win Wimbledon will be intense, from his own side.

@kskate2 says above that he doesn't have the same cred in the locker room. I'm not sure I agree with that. Many will fear him on the grass, still, though the fear of the oldsters is waning, somewhat. But, IMO, what is most likely to get Novak before he hoists the trophy at Wimbledon would more likely be the pressure to get this next Major.

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I think we all know that Novak is very invested in the Slam race, and I think it was a feature in his loss to Nadal last week. While there was lots of palaver over night session and crowd favoritism, etc., I think they both went into that match last week knowing they were all-but playing for the title. However much Charly Alcaraz was the 3rd fave, or not, they also knew he was out by the time they played. I can't remember if Tsitsipas was already out, but...give me a break. Novak knew that he had to beat Rafa to keep him from going 2-up. And it was Rafa on home-turf. Not trying to put salt into the wound, but this will be what Novak takes into Wimbledon, as you rightly say. Including participation in the USO and AO, in the future. The pressure on him to win Wimbledon will be intense, from his own side.

@kskate2 says above that he doesn't have the same cred in the locker room. I'm not sure I agree with that. Many will fear him on the grass, still, though the fear of the oldsters is waning, somewhat. But, IMO, what is most likely to get Novak before he hoists the trophy at Wimbledon would more likely be the pressure to get this next Major.
If Djokovic does not win Wimbledon this year, then there's a good chance that his next slam will be...2023 Roland Garros.

It also means that there's a good chance that by the time 2023 Roland Garros comes around, Nadal will probably have a three slam lead over Djokovic.

So, you are 100% correct that Djokovic will have an intense pressure from within to actually win Wimbledon this year.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Interesting stat for up coming Wimbledon tournament,

For the first time since the inception of ATP rankings in 1973, both No 1 and No 2 will be missing in Wimbledon.
It will be the second Grand Slam tournament overall in the past 39 years without ATP No 1 and No 2 ( also 1999 at the Australian Open).

Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
One last thing: Everybody (the media) is talking about on how Nadal could miss slams due to injuries (rightfully so, and Nadal has been honest about it), but nobody is talking about on how this is more than likely Djokovic's last slam of the year. It's like "Nadal does not have a lot of slams in him anymore due to this and that.."

But when it comes to Djokovic, "I still think Djokovic will surpass Nadal because he will play longer and plays at a higher level consistently." It's like they (media and some fans) think that Djokovic will win slams even if he misses Slams due to his vaccination decision (I totally respect his decision, btw).
I've sort of said this before: everyone thinks that Novak has some fountain of youth, and he'll be carrying on for a long time. But he's already showing us the vulnerability of age. He doesn't play enough, and he shows more rust than before. Has a harder time getting back into the groove. He didn't post better against Nadal in the QF, and everyone asks "what happened??" (Never minding that Nadal at RG happened to him.) Sure, it should be noted that he has, and will probably yet miss Slams because of his vaccination decisions. But I, unlike you, do NOT respect him for them. He's not a doctor, he's a tennis player. However, it IS his choice, and he will have to lie in that bed.

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I've sort of said this before: everyone thinks that Novak has some fountain of youth, and he'll be carrying on for a long time. But he's already showing us the vulnerability of age. He doesn't play enough, and he shows more rust than before. Has a harder time getting back into the groove. He didn't post better against Nadal in the QF, and everyone asks "what happened??" (Never minding that Nadal at RG happened to him.) Sure, it should be noted that he has, and will probably yet miss Slams because of his vaccination decisions. But I, unlike you, do NOT respect him for them. He's not a doctor, he's a tennis player. However, it IS his choice, and he will have to lie in that bed.
It is why I find it "odd" that some experts and fans believe/expect that Djokovic will suddenly or will be back winning slams easily even though he is showing some vulnerability of age.

In addition, they (media and fans) have this quiet belief that Djokovic should be able to play these tournaments soon (eg...AO and USO) because they believe the two countries will ease the vaccine restrictions for the unvaccinated people.

Like they are not even mentioning that Djokovic could miss out winning slams due to his vaccination decision. It's like, "Oh, Djokovic is in the tournament and healthy, he should be the favorite and win the title now." Instead of saying, "There's a good chance Djokovic might not be the same player because he will miss tournaments due to his vaccination stance."

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It is why I find it "odd" that some experts and fans believe/expect that Djokovic will suddenly or will be back winning slams easily even though he is showing some vulnerability of age.

In addition, they (media and fans) have this quiet belief that Djokovic should be able to play these tournaments soon (eg...AO and USO) because they believe the two countries will ease the vaccine restrictions for the unvaccinated people.

Like they are not even mentioning that Djokovic could miss out winning slams due to his vaccination decision. It's like, "Oh, Djokovic is in the tournament and healthy, he should be the favorite and win the title now." Instead of saying, "There's a good chance Djokovic might not be the same player because he will miss tournaments due to his vaccination stance."
Ok Folks but c’mmon. So it’s not a slam dunk but we are talking about Novak, Novak ! He was one match away from a cYGS last year. Even at the FO, other than Nadal he could have won it all, and I consider clay his “weakest” surface.

Of course he’s on the short list of the favorites for any Major that he enters, and it isn’t IMO at all improbable or shocking if he wins anywhere from 3-5more Majors before his career ends. Federer and Rafa have won Majors after a long hiatus and even if denied access to some Majors I can easily see him winning 2-4 Majors through 2023. If the foot holds, I expect Rafa to win 2-4 more Majors. Let the Battle of the Titans continue…

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Ok Folks but c’mmon. So it’s not a slam dunk but we are talking about Novak, Novak ! He was one match away from a cYGS last year. Even at the FO, other than Nadal he could have won it all, and I consider clay his “weakest” surface.

Of course he’s on the short list of the favorites for any Major that he enters, and it isn’t IMO at all improbable or shocking if he wins anywhere from 3-5more Majors before his career ends. Federer and Rafa have won Majors after a long hiatus and even if denied access to some Majors I can easily see him winning 2-4 Majors through 2023. If the foot holds, I expect Rafa to win 2-4 more Majors. Let the Battle of the Titans continue…
So, the finally tally will be like:

Nadal: 24 to 26 slams
Djokovic: 23 to 25 slams

Wow, that is A LOT of slams for a 36 year old and a 35 year old!

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Look, AP, and plenty of tennis pundits will tell us that Novak rolls out of bed and plays like the tennis god that he can be. However, he has shown us a lot of vulnerability before this year, and a lot of vulnerability this year. He is 35 years old, and the windows are closing. And more so due to his anti-vaccination status. They all feel the pressure of decreasing opportunity. It's what got Novak at the USO last year. And at the OG. If you ask me. To me, his worst rival at Wimbledon is likely to be the sense that he has to win it.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Look, AP, and plenty of tennis pundits will tell us that Novak rolls out of bed and plays like the tennis god that he can be. However, he has shown us a lot of vulnerability before this year, and a lot of vulnerability this year. He is 35 years old, and the windows are closing. And more so due to his anti-vaccination status. They all feel the pressure of decreasing opportunity. It's what got Novak at the USO last year. And at the OG. If you ask me. To me, his worst rival at Wimbledon is likely to be the sense that he has to win it.
At times Novak can be his worst enemy....he could be his own worst rival at Wimbledon this year.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

I love your attitude, but I do think the Titans run out of runway, at some point. No faith that the kids step up, at least to spoil?

• Haha
Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I love your attitude, but I do think the Titans run out of runway, at some point. No faith that the kids step up, at least to spoil?
LIke I said it is not a slam dunk and Father Time is waiting, but I do think both guys are FREAKS, like Tom Brady. You are going to have to drag them off the court. Let's put it this way, I think both guys are mentally stronger than Federer was/is, and like Tom Brady they know their game more than ever. Their access to trainers, conditioning, nutrition , doctors, etc. has created an entourage/cottage industry to support their playing career. Federer nearly won Wimbledon at age 37 years, 11 months, came within a point so why not them?? At least on clay and grass respectively, their expertise has to count for something.

Personally I have strong reservations about the Crown Princes. Zverev, even before his unfortunate injury, i felt he would snatch defeat from the jaws of victory (those DF"s...) Tsitsipas, while I like his game, just doesn't seem to build his game, has it actually improved?

Alcaraz at the FO, the pressure definitely got to him, and FAA is still despite his many gifts more potential than actual accomplishments. I have no problem having the next generation take over if they earn it, but until they do it..... The one person who has won me over is the crazy Russian Medvedev, I do think he's going to win more Majors.

Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Lest we get ahead of ourselves, this from Wertheim:

"Yet, right now, I would buy Djokovic on the dip. Like, load up on Djokovic. After dusting off the rust—or the clay-court tennis equivalent—he suddenly went back to playing celestial tennis. He won Rome and his first four matches here without dropping a set. Losing to 13-time French Open winner Nadal on clay—winning a set he should have lost and losing a set he should have won—is no shame. His timing is back. His conditioning appears to be back. He has “only” just turned 35. Look at the Wimbledon draws over the past decade and you will not find a more successful player. Then come the hard courts. Bear in mind the man who beat Djokovic in 2021, Russia’s Daniil Medvedev, will have been banned from Wimbledon and contend with his own “reentering the workforce” issues.

Djokovic will be fine."

Reactions: Jelenafan

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Lest we get ahead of ourselves, this from Wertheim:

"Yet, right now, I would buy Djokovic on the dip. Like, load up on Djokovic. After dusting off the rust—or the clay-court tennis equivalent—he suddenly went back to playing celestial tennis. He won Rome and his first four matches here without dropping a set. Losing to 13-time French Open winner Nadal on clay—winning a set he should have lost and losing a set he should have won—is no shame. His timing is back. His conditioning appears to be back. He has “only” just turned 35. Look at the Wimbledon draws over the past decade and you will not find a more successful player. Then come the hard courts. Bear in mind the man who beat Djokovic in 2021, Russia’s Daniil Medvedev, will have been banned from Wimbledon and contend with his own “reentering the workforce” issues.

Djokovic will be fine."
What is Wertheim trying to say here? I truly get that Djokovic is the heavy favorite for Wimbledon and he will be fine (he is Djokovic after all), but what is this notion that Djokovic, at 35 years old, will easily win 3+ slams even with the limited schedule?

In addition, what does the hard courts have to do with Djokovic defending Wimbledon, seriously? Does he know that Djokovic is not able to enter Canada AND USA due to his vaccination status, as of right now? Like there's a (really good) chance this is Djokovic's last tournament until fall indoor season...October!

Finally, even if Medvedev has been banned from Wimbledon (unfortunately), he will be ready to defend his Summer hard court swing tournaments this year.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
What is Wertheim trying to say here? I truly get that Djokovic is the heavy favorite for Wimbledon and he will be fine (he is Djokovic after all), but what is this notion that Djokovic, at 35 years old, will easily win 3+ slams even with the limited schedule?

In addition, what does the hard courts have to do with Djokovic defending Wimbledon, seriously? Does he know that Djokovic is not able to enter Canada AND USA due to his vaccination status, as of right now? Like there's a (really good) chance this is Djokovic's last tournament until fall indoor season...October!

Finally, even if Medvedev has been banned from Wimbledon (unfortunately), he will be ready to defend his Summer hard court swing tournaments this year.
Is Novak really fine? he was the defending champion at RG and to me he was mentally exposed by Rafa in his q/final match
People keep saying Novak has great mental ability he has shown in the past he can come back from being down 2 sets, though this is 2022, of course it was his choice not to get vaccinated and he is paying the price of his decision, Novak at 35 years of age cannot expect to roll into a major like Wimbledon and not play a warm up tournament.I feel those days are gone.

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Is Novak really fine? he was the defending champion at RG and to me he was mentally exposed by Rafa in his q/final match
People keep saying Novak has great mental ability he has shown in the past he can come back from being down 2 sets, though this is 2022, of course it was his choice not to get vaccinated and he is paying the price of his decision, Novak at 35 years of age cannot expect to roll into a major like Wimbledon and not play a warm up tournament.I feel those days are gone.
It is why I am surprised that Wertheim even said this. He could have said, "Djokovic is a great champion and he will be come back strong, thus he will be fine."

He added those unnecessary scenarios including hard courts and Medvedev that does not even affect Djokovic at this point.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
It is why I am surprised that Wertheim even said this. He could have said, "Djokovic is a great champion and he will be come back strong, thus he will be fine."

He added those unnecessary scenarios including hard courts and Medvedev that does not even affect Djokovic at this point.
Agree, maybe Jon is having a 'senior moment' :)

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Let me see if I can make it clear..Let's take Novak, Roger, Rafa, Agassi, Borg , McEnroe, Lendl , Sampras and Connors on a two weeks cruise ship without any ball striking anywhere on the ship. Once they land on shore, of the 6 old geezers, Agassi and Connors could go to the tennis courts and within two hours, they would be able to strike the ball as clean as they would during a tournament. McEnroe, Lendl and Borg with all his topspin would require a few days to get their rhythm of hitting the ball as clean as they would like. Roger and Novak are the same as Agassi and Connors, pure ball striking, not a lot of warm up. whereas Nadal would take a few days of hitting to get his rhythm. This may sound hokey but there's a lot of validity in what I am trying to convey. Fiero probably played some college and USTA may know what I am saying. Novak's ball striking and movement is 2nd to none. This doesn't mean he is the BEST tennis player but he is the most fundamentally sound player who may have ever struck the ball even over Roger due to his one handed BH. IMO

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Let me see if I can make it clear..Let's take Novak, Roger, Rafa, Agassi, Borg , McEnroe, Lendl , Sampras and Connors on a two weeks cruise ship without any ball striking anywhere on the ship. Once they land on shore, of the 6 old geezers, Agassi and Connors could go to the tennis courts and within two hours, they would be able to strike the ball as clean as they would during a tournament. McEnroe, Lendl and Borg with all his topspin would require a few days to get their rhythm of hitting the ball as clean as they would like. Roger and Novak are the same as Agassi and Connors, pure ball striking, not a lot of warm up. whereas Nadal would take a few days of hitting to get his rhythm. This may sound hokey but there's a lot of validity in what I am trying to convey. Fiero probably played some college and USTA may know what I am saying. Novak's ball striking and movement is 2nd to none. This doesn't mean he is the BEST tennis player but he is the most fundamentally sound player who may have ever struck the ball even over Roger due to his one handed BH. IMO
Well if he is that good what the hell happened to him at RG where he was the defending champion and had a dream draw?
He mentally went away apart from the 2nd set and his body language was terrible in his q/final match against Rafa
Tennis today is 80% mental...which are present he has Not Got.No he cannot fall out of bed and win Wimbledon, he could not do that at RG.
I know Borg used to hire a tennis court at Wimbledon and practice for hours before Wimbledon, though Novak is not in his league he has not won RG and Wimbledon., many times, like Borg did, my idol, who turned 66 the other day.

Last edited:

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Well if he is that good what the hell happened to him at RG where he was the defending champion and had a dream draw?
He mentally went away apart from the 2nd set and his body language was terrible
Tennis today is 80% mental...which are present he has Not Got.No he cannot fall out of bed and win Wimbledon, he could not do that at RG.
No no . I clearly said it doesn't mean he is the best tennis player. Tennis is a physical and mental game. When you facing the top players, it's more mental that wins the matches, tournament and grand slam championships. It's a chess, checkers, poker or whatever game where you have to have great counters to your opponents move. Remember, I always say that all things being the same meaning everyone is healthy or not Jaded , it will always come down to Roger, Rafa and Novak. These are the tennis Masters. Next time you get to watch these live , look at how they hit a ball, get back to the recovery point and change the speed of the ball. There was a point years ago between Borg and Vilas where the hit the ball 60 times during one rally. Acourse, they were not blasting the ball like today's players. Roger , Novak and Rafa if they hit with less than 3/4 speed especially on a clay court could easily exceed Borg and Vilas rally ball count. Medvedev has this ability to hit as well as the big three but is not quite there. Daniil's mental game is still in development or it may have plateaued already. Miss Margaret, remove your emotions and just re-read what I posted. ( No disrespect) . This is why I have stated there's higher levels to the big 3's game. On clay, Rafa has a higher level than Novak or Roger could EVER achieve. Check the stats, I think I am pretty accurate with the latter statement.

Reactions: Jelenafan