2019 Australian Open, Melbourne - ATP GRAND SLAM

Andy22

Major Winner
Reactions
Nadal the most humble sports man in history, in guy even people place to stay then those floods hit his town. Nadal even give tsitsipas a first serve on his bithday, That a champion he is.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Thank you Miss Carol..How are things with you...yes it has been a while since I've been here..
Everything is ok and glad to see Rafa playing so well starting with his serve. Hope today he does a great match against Tiafoe who is playing well too

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
R. Bautista agut already tired why do you think he's going pushed to 5 sets all the time even he's the better, player because he's a bit out of gas, also lets not act like he's some super human that never runs out of gas. Ps I think he will lose but if he wins it won't be in straights sets thats for sure

He shouldn't be getting as far as he is anyway with his horrible pusher game. That aggressive players are allowing him win shows how much they suck. Getting pushed to 5 sets has nothing to do with supposed fatigue and I said supposed because I guarantee you, he's not tired.

Last edited:

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Nadal the most humble sports man in history, in guy even people place to stay then those floods hit his town. Nadal even give tsitsipas a first serve on his bithday, That a champion he is.

Ever heard of fake humility? There's plenty on display there.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Its clear that federer fans want S.tipsatipis to lose for makeing federer look like a challenger player, thats why they are saying that RBA, is this super human that never does down, even if it is as dumb hell he's been in three 5 set matches and already look like wobbling on empty legs. Dont care that you say three 5 set matches in one event is going to gas anyone out.:yesyes::cuckoo::facepalm:

Wtf you on about? I'm a big fan of Tsitsipas. Saying we don't think he'll win doesn't mean we don't like him ffs. It's called a prediction. I don't predict the winner just cos I like him like some morons here but go for reality, the real world and I don't think he'll win. But you're completely wrong 'cos I actually hope he'll win 'cos I can't stand RBA, Really Bloody Awful, Really Boring Asswipe, etc.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Its clear that federer fans want S.tipsatipis to lose for makeing federer look like a challenger player, thats why they are saying that RBA, is this super human that never does down, even if it is as dumb hell he's been in three 5 set matches and already look like wobbling on empty legs. Dont care that you say three 5 set matches in one event is going to gas anyone out.:yesyes::cuckoo::facepalm:

Btw LOL at making Federer look like a challenger player. No he did not. He won by 4 freaking points. Calm down a bit there.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions

Not me at least. I would rather Perseus win this whole event.

Chris Koziarz

Masters Champion
Reactions
Very simple: the rule has been set (even tightened recently) that after an out call, in case of challenge and call overturn, the unlucky player must have a "clean play" on the ball, in order for an umpire to call replay. Even if the unlucky player did have a play but missed,the umpire's judgement can still be that the call did not hinder his play and rule a point against him. This judgement call often sparks controversies. So, to avoid controversy players learned to hit "one extra shot" after each out call (when close). We had an example of such judgement that derailed Tsi's matchpoint in 3rd set (and that was just a very bad call by the linesman), fortunately, Tsi regrouped and won TB despite losing a game due to a bad call.
I've been a vocal critic of these judgements that were created as a result of hawkeye. Players have already adjusted to play an extra dead shot as a result. Why can't linesmen also adjust and do not call close out until the player plays the final shot so as to not interfere with the play? Essentially, make all out calls "late". Such simple adjustment would have spared the umpire the difficult judgement decision and would have spared Tsi his frustration. But why do silly linemen keep shouting their out immediately as the ball hits the line, and interfering the play? It's not that difficult to understand why all out calls should be late in hawkeye era, and only a little bit of practice to adjust the calls.
We did not need to wait too long - just couple of days - to have another controversy due to a silly lineman calling out too early and interfering with the last shot:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-01...ourt-meltdown-after-fourth-round-aus/10734470
The reports about this incident concentrate on the correctness of chair's judgement. How many times do I have to repeat? Umpire's judgement is just an effect, like a headache from a disease. The disease is a stupid lineman interfering with last shot by Nishi. If stupid lineman held his call to make sure it's "late", PCB would be spared his stressful experience, and possibly would have won the match in more level headed state of mind. Poor PCB. I wonder who's next. Statistically, I happens every few days, so I predict it will happen in this AO 2019 at least once more.
How many more controversies the ITF/ATP/WTA officials need to see before realising it's time to stop linemen interference with post-hawkeye shots? It's becoming pathetic. Or maybe the officials simply like controversies and don't want to give up on this one.

Last edited:

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Likewise. I predicted Tstispas to win in four. In fact, I think Tsitsipas has the game to trouble Nadal if they end up meeting in the semis.
Nadal vs Tsitsipas 2-0, Canada and Barcelona

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions

No Federer fan likes RBA. What planet are you on? Most of us want Perseus to win the whole thing, he reminds me of a young Fed a bit. But RBA has that special extra Spanish stamina. I highly doubt he will be tired after the Cilic match.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Everything is ok and glad to see Rafa playing so well starting with his serve. Hope today he does a great match against Tiafoe who is playing well too
I am not overly concerned about Tiafoe.. although I am very happy for Frances to have made it this far.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
No Federer fan likes RBA. What planet are you on? Most of us want Perseus to win the whole thing, he reminds me of a young Fed a bit. But RBA has that special extra Spanish stamina. I highly doubt he will be tired after the Cilic match.
Besides Tisip has different style it would be better not to compare him with Federer, look what is happening to Dimitrov.....:nono:

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
I am not overly concerned about Tiafoe.. although I am very happy for Frances to have made it this far.

Tiafoe blows, talk about a walkover tonight. Hope my Greek boy doesn't fall to that annoying as hell pusher

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Tiafoe blows, talk about a walkover tonight. Hope my Greek boy doesn't fall to that annoying as hell pusher
I have admit I do not find anything about Tiafoe's aesthetically pleasing to the trained tennis eyes..but he does compete at a very high level..

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
He does not! He's strong and has some belief. He's a NextGen on the rise. You're just bummed that there isn't someone that looks like a tougher opponent for Rafa. Well, sorry, but there isn't much of one. I'm sure you'd have rathered Dimitrov, but let's face it re: Grigor. Other options were basically Anderson and Seppi. This is a kid on the rise, and they've never met. He's your best option.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Of course Tiafoe is playing now better than Nishi and what I can say about Zverev....ouch!

tenisplayrla08

Major Winner
Reactions
RBA is already little out of gas not saying he wont win the match because of it but it will cost him makeing the final definitely., also You say djokovic that makes you think that the other players are as fit as him not a good point at all and these young players being gas out at the end of events happens every slam so dont act like its something Im makeing up its just a fact.

So I get the feeling that you just misunderstood what I said the first time. Which is why I tried to reiterate it. I said, "If those players lose, it ain't because they're tired. It's because their opponents are better players than them." I was mostly referring to Nishikori playing Djokovic and Tiafoe playing Nadal. Because two of those people are all time greats. And two of them are not. I was never trying to say they won't be gassed at all. They will. But, they have a day to recover which is more than they normally have. And these are elite athletes. They'll mostly recover. Not as much as their opponent maybe. But the fact that their opponent hasn't had as much court time will not be the reason they lose. It will be because Tiafoe has never really had to deal with Nadal's weight of shot, intensity and the fact that he can get to everything. Nishikori will not lose to Djokovic because he's spent 3 or 4 or 5 more hours on court than Djokovic has. He'll lose to Djokovic because Djokovic can basically break his serve on command. Nishikori will be able to break Djokovic's serve as well. But not as many times. Djokovic is just a little bit cleaner. A bit more aggressive. More agile. More flexible. And well, a slew of other things that he's better at. Which is why he's won 14 slams or whatever and Nishi has won none.

I can't even understand your second sentence in this last post. So I can't respond to it.

And young players being out of gas at the end of slam events is because on the tour these days, the veterans are so good at making you play one more shot, one more shot, and one more shot, that these young players aren't prepared enough yet to win matches in 3 sets. So it takes 5 sets more than once and then they don't even make it to the end of the slams. The fitness it takes to be on tour these days is much higher than it used to be.

But I was only ever trying to say that how Nishikori or Tiafoe or Pouille or even RBA feels will not matter as much as you were saying it would. Mostly because each of those players, except RBA, were going up against a better, more accomplished player. And I do think Tsitsipas is a better player. He's just young. And could very easily lose the match he's playing right now because RBA has been doing this a long time and knows how to stick in there and bother his opponent.

Now I'm incredibly DONE with this ridiculous conversation!

Reactions: Andy22

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I am SO sad I missed the Nishikori/Carreno Busta match live. I did want to get up and watch it. But a man's gotta sleep. Anyways. I've watched the tiebreak. Which was fantastic. A tough call for the umpire. And he probably made the wrong one. But Nishikori hit that ball either right after the out call or as it was called. It was almost simultaneous. And Carreno Busta, as the ump said, was definitely racing the other direction. STILL probably should have played it again.

I'm always glad to see Nishikori come through. Thrilled he fought back from 2 sets to love. Carreno Busta's outburst and meltdown was probably as much about being mad at himself for being in the situation in the first place. Having let Nishikori come back from two sets down. Though, he knows Nishikori is great. So maybe not. He knows he fought in sets 3 and 4 and they were close. So were the first two sets. They mirrored each other exactly. But to play that well. Serve well enough and return well enough to break as many times as you were broken. To force the fifth set tiebreak and be up 8-5. That's just crushing.

don't you have a DVD recorder or blu-ray recorder with built-in Hard drive that you can set to record 8 or 10 hours of the days action ?