2019 Australian Open semifinals: Djokovic vs Pouille

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Novak in 3.

However it’s nice to see Amelie Mauresmo coach another male tennis player to the SF of a Major.

Last edited:
Reactions: Moxie

atttomole

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Novak in 3. However, if Pouille plays like Wawrinka, he could rattle Djokovic.

Mile

Masters Champion
Reactions
I havent seen Poulie playing, perhaps Novak in 4. This will be trully NextGen vs Oldies. But if those 2 young fellas lose just like that, and Nadal hit RG win, then this NextGen can wait till next year.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I think that Novak will win that semis but if Rafa would advance to the final I wouldn’t mind if he would play against Pouille just remembering the USO 2016 :facepalm:

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I saw the QF last night. Lucas is moving really well and returning well. Causing upsets and taking big scalps out is nothing new to Lucas (remember his win against Ralph at USO). Having said all of that, Novak's game is so steady that Lucas cannot upset the apple cart. But, I will give Lucas a set.

Nole in four.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I saw the QF last night. Lucas is moving really well and returning well. Causing upsets and taking big scalps out is nothing new to Lucas (remember his win against Ralph at USO). Having said all of that, Novak's game is so steady that Lucas cannot upset the apple cart. But, I will give Lucas a set.

Nole in four.
We remember or you haven’t read my previous comment or you are enyoing to remind us? and it happened when Rafa was in that roller coaster going more down than up and that the reason why I think Novak will beat the French and very easy

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
We remember or you haven’t read my previous comment or you are enyoing to remind us? and it happened when Rafa was in that roller coaster going more down than up and that the reason why I think Novak will beat the French and very easy

I had not read your post when I posted mine. Anyway, what was Rafa suffering from when he lost to Lucas? Is that Parkinson Disease or
Lou Gehrig's disease?

Reactions: Front242

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
For sure Lucas is a more interesting opponent than Milos would have been, in terms of the tennis. I'll be honest, I thought at least Kei might rough Novak up a bit, since he was complaining of fatigue and some back pain (and random stuff, per usual) after the Medvedev match, but instead he got a rest day, for the most part. Friday is supposed to be really hot, so they might play with the roof closed? Pouille's best result percentage is indoors. Still, best chance is he takes a set.

Reactions: rafanoy1992

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
For sure Lucas is a more interesting opponent than Milos would have been, in terms of the tennis. I'll be honest, I thought at least Kei might rough Novak up a bit, since he was complaining of fatigue and some back pain (and random stuff, per usual) after the Medvedev match, but instead he got a rest day, for the most part. Friday is supposed to be really hot, so they might play with the roof closed? Pouille's best result percentage is indoors. Still, best chance is he takes a set.

It will be interesting to see on what Mauresmo will tell Pouille on how to approach the match. One thing that I noticed about Pouille (especially against Milos) is that from sets 2 to 4, he did not seemed fazed of the moment. I know some of that is Milos inability to extend rallies and missed volleys but Pouille still went back to work like he knew he was gonna win the match.

I am with you that Djokovic will win this four but Pouille can show that mental resilience along with his shot making ability it could be a FUN match. Also, Pouille does not seem tired at all so he is ready to go to the distance (unlike Kei).

As for Djokovic, he also needs to be careful in terms of spending energy on the court. While he still can recover well from a long match, he is 31 years old so that he could feel the effects (in the finals) if he is not careful on how he plays.

Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It will be interesting to see on what Mauresmo will tell Pouille on how to approach the match. One thing that I noticed about Pouille (especially against Milos) is that from sets 2 to 4, he did not seemed fazed of the moment. I know some of that is Milos inability to extend rallies and missed volleys but Pouille still went back to work like he knew he was gonna win the match.

I am with you that Djokovic will win this four but Pouille can show that mental resilience along with his shot making ability it could be a FUN match. Also, Pouille does not seem tired at all so he is ready to go to the distance (unlike Kei).

As for Djokovic, he also needs to be careful in terms of spending energy on the court. While he still can recover well from a long match, he is 31 years old so that he could feel the effects (in the finals) if he is not careful on how he plays.
If Pouille pushes him, it's Djokovic that has the short recovery for the final.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I had not read your post when I posted mine. Anyway, what was Rafa suffering from when he lost to Lucas? Is that Parkinson Disease or
Lou Gehrig's disease?
Just a rough patch like every player sooner or later goes through. By the way your comment is out of context (better than to say stupid)

Chris Koziarz

Masters Champion
Reactions
It will be 43C in MEL tomorrow. But it might cool down in the evening when they play. How do the players handle heat? Are they better indoors in case organisers close the roof due to heat policy? These env conditions might be decisive. Closing the roof might be controversial, as historically was case with Nad, who likes complaining about everything everywhere, from roof, through time violation enforcement to grass length. Do Joker/Pouille have similar history of complains?

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It will be 43C in MEL tomorrow. But it might cool down in the evening when they play. How do the players handle heat? Are they better indoors in case organisers close the roof due to heat policy? These env conditions might be decisive. Closing the roof might be controversial, as historically was case with Nad, who likes complaining about everything everywhere, from roof, through time violation enforcement to grass length. Do Joker/Pouille have similar history of complains?
I don't know that Nadal is the biggest complainer out there, let's be fair. But as to the roof, he has reasons to complain. What if it starts hot and cools off soon after? Is it really right to play the whole match under closed roof?

Andy22

Major Winner
Reactions
Djokovic will destroy L.pouille, in straight set end of story/ hopefully nadal vs. Djokovic final rematch of 2012 where nadal was the better player.