• Nadal in five sets

• Tsitsipas in three sets

• Tsitsipas in four sets

• Tsitsipas in five sets

Results are only viewable after voting.

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Nadal leads the H2H match-up 2-0 (all from 2018) and this their meeting at a slam.

It will be interesting on how this match unfolds...

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Rafa has had one of the easier roads to a Slam SF in recent memory - he’s had to play no significant players. Tsitsipas will be his first. Hopefully the kid can handle the pressure.

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I’m going for Nadal in four sets. I hope I get to see some of it, because this should be quite enjoyable.

I hope Nadal gets dragged into a fifth and pulls through cause I kind of want a Djokovic Nadal final.

atttomole

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I am going with Nadal in 4 sets because I expect Tsitsipas to repeat the same sluggish performance he showed against RBA. However, if he can produce anything close to his performance against Roger, he has a good chance.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Here are few things to consider.

1. If at all there has to be a let down after beating Fed, it usually will happen in the very next match. Now, that Perseus has won the next match, his win over Roger is far away in the rear view mirror. So, there will not be any emotional let down from Tsitsipas.

2. Easier to be on the guard and bring your best, when there is a big name across the net. So, Tsitsipas will be fully alert.

3. Tsitsipas has not played any five set matches (even though all his wins came in four sets) and also he is young; hence, he should be physically fine.

4. Ralph has not really faced big time players yet in this AO and would be tested.

So, I go with Perseus in four. Perseus's net rushing attacking game will be difficult to handle for Rafa.

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
5. He is playing Rafa Nadal, one of the greatest to have played the game.

Let’s see how his backhand holds up against Rafas spin.

Also, if you think rushing to the net against Rafa is a good idea you may want to see some of his (backhand) passing shots on YouTube.

Last edited:

SmashingTip

In the Locker Room
Reactions
R. Nadal vs S. Tsitsipas one more great match of the Semi-Finals at Australian Open Grand Slam Tournament taking place in Australia. Both talented players will play in a serious confrontation. Review our thoughts on this match here below.

Rafael Nadal

Rafael Nadal is one of the greatest tennis players of all time. Every year he showing best results and for almost 15 years he plays at the highest level. He won lots of Grand Slams, Master and other Tournaments in his career and now he is the 3rd all-time leader by earnings. During Australian Open this year he already has played five matches. Spaniard finished all matches with clean 3:0 result. At the first round, Nadal met Australian Duckworth. They played three sets, Spaniard made only 6 aces and won 74% of the 1st serve. During the match Duckworth had 3 breakpoints, however, took only one. The second round was against M. Eden, where Nadal didn’t face any problems and won easily all three sets. Nadal saved all the break points against him, however, made four double faults and only 6 aces. Next was Australian talent A. De Minaur, but here Rafa was even more confident and won against youngster with result 6:1/6:2/6:4. In 1/8 Finals Rafael Nadal met T. Berdych and won against him confidently, however, previously Tomas gave a fight to Spaniard. Berdych had only two break points, however, Nadal saved them and went further to the quarter-final. At the quarter-final Rafael met young talent F. Tiafoe, but and this time Nadal was confidently stronger and didn’t give any chance for American.

Stefanos Tsitsipas
We previously wrote about Tsitsipas and his match against N. Basilashvili. So after that Stefanos Tsitsipas met with the greatest tennis player ever – Roger Federer and won against him in four sets. That was his win of the career and he went further to the quarter-final. At the match with Federer, players played 4 times tiebreak, where Greek was stronger. Tstsipas made 20 aces and only 1 double fault, he was stronger and faster, moreover, he was very accurate. At quarter-final, Stefanos have met R. Bautista-Agut and won against him even more confidently. This time his serve was a little bit weaker, however, he won 84% of the 1st serve points. Bautista won 3 break points, but in total Tsitsipas was better and faster.

H2H
Players met previously two only times in last year. Both times R. Nadal was stronger. Both times they played for the title at Toronto – Masters Tournament Final Nadal won 6:2/7:6 and in Barcelona tournament on clay Nadal won 6:2/6:1 much more confident while playing at home ground and favorite surface.

SmashingTip!
Both players are very strong and skilled, however, of course, R. Nadal showing very best tennis and can fight against everyone. S. Tsitsipas won against Federer what should give him much confidence before Nadal clash. We see Tsitsipas fighting strong, so we prefer to take over games. https://smashingtip.com/tennis/atp-tournaments/r-nadal-vs-s-tsitsipas-24-01-2019-preview/

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
5. He is playing Rafa Nadal, one of the greatest to have played the game.

Let’s see how his backhand holds up against Rafas spin.

Also, if you think rushing to the net against Rafa is a good idea you may want to see some of his (backhand) passing shots on YouTube.

Perseus's net rushing is of a different kind. It is not so much of "serve and volley". It is coming in after a good approach shot.

Having said that, I agree that Ralph is very good at hitting passing shots.

So, at any rate this will make the match more exciting.

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Rafa to save tennis from the servebot Tsitsipas. :good:

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Tsitsipas has said to the Greek press: " I've learned of my two losses against Nadal but I feel that this time I can beat him"
It's good to have some confidence but sometimes I think it's better to keep quiet

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Tsitsipas has said to the Greek press: " I've learned of my two losses against Nadal but I feel that this time I can beat him"
It's good to have some confidence but sometimes I think it's better to keep quiet
Why keep quiet?

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Why keep quiet?
Shapo said the same before the match against Novak ¨I know how to beat him". That's why they should be quiet and just to play

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Live tennis rankings have Tsitsipas at #12 now. (NCH) He'd go up to 9 if he were to beat Rafa, but I don't think he will.

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I do agree that Tsitsipas was impressive in bearing RBA without a major letdown from beating Federer.

Stefanos level will be high, but I think Rafa’s serve is allowing him to be more aggressive on the HC.

Nadal in 4.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
Colossal clash (borrowed the adjective from you, @Moxie).

Tsitsipas playing really well, he beat the two-time defending champion and one unbeaten in 2019 guy in back to back matches. Both were closely contested, in both his opponent had opportunities to get a big lead, but in both he kept fighting, playing good tennis when it mattered, and in both he was the deserving winner. If this translates in him not folding against Nadal at those classical injunctions were Nadal's opponents lose the fighting spirit, his chances are multiplied.

Nadal, on the other hand, has been very efficient, but playing against so-so opposition. This has translated in lower quality matches. he knows the drill, but adjusting to a new level is always tricky. Nadal had difficulty in important patches of most his matches, and in all of them his adversary was not able to maintain the pressure, as in all cases the player was playing above his usual level just to keep it competitive. It won't be the case this time. Nadal will need to change gears up. Historically, he usually succeeds. At some point, he won't...

One interesting aspect will be how Nadal will serve. One of the reasons he historically served not extra hard is to give him more time for the second shot. In the early rounds he was struggling a bit when the opponent was connecting the returns. I guess de Minaur let him a bit of the hook in that department, and Tiafoe was simply not consistent enough to explore that. Tsitsipas will be a whole other challenge.