27 Alex de Minaur (AUS)
28 Lucas Pouille (FRA)
29 Gilles Simon (FRA)
30 Monfils, Gael (FRA)
31 Steve Johnson (USA)
32 Philipp Kohlschreiber (GER)

bb8f174ae03cd59d14bf664be5b833e6.jpeg

The Tournament:

The Australian Open is the first of the four Grand Slam tennis events of the year and has been staged since 1905. Prior to 1988 the tournament was played on grass. Since 1988 two types of hardcourt surfaces have been used at Melbourne Park (formely known as Flinders Park) - Rebound Ace to 2007 and then Plexicushion.

Attendances at the Australian Open are second only to the US Open and the showcourts are the Rod Laver Arena, Hisense Arena and the refurbished Margaret Court Arena. All are equipped with retractable roofs.

About Melbourne:

Melbourne is the state capital of Victoria in Queensland and regularly features in the top ranks of the "most livable" cities in the world. It is the second largest city in Australia (after Sydney) with a population of just over 4.5 million.

Founded in 1835, The metropolis is located on the large natural bay of Port Phillip and expands into the hinterlands towards the Dandenong and Macedon mountain ranges, Mornington Peninsula and Yarra Valley.

At the city's centre is the modern Federation Square development, with plazas, bars, and restaurants by the Yarra River. In the Southbank area, the Melbourne Arts Precinct is the site of Arts Centre Melbourne – a performing arts complex – and the National Gallery of Victoria, with Australian and indigenous art.

800px-Melbourne_city_montage.jpg

Tourism Guide:

Reactions: britbox

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Pathway for Djokovic

Rd 1: Qualifier
Rd 2: Tsonga/Klizan
Rd 3: Shapo
Rd 4: Medvedev/Goffin/Vesely
QF: Nishikori
SF: Zverev/Raonic/Stan/Kyrgios
F: Federer/Nadal/Cilic/Tsitsipas/Anderson/Khachanov

Last edited:
Reactions: ftan and Moxie

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Pathway for Federer

Rd 1: Istomin
Rd 2: Qualifier
Rd 3: Monfils/Norrie/Fritz/Dzhumur
Rd 4: Tsitsipas
QF: Cilic/Murray/Khachanov
SF: Nadal/Anderson
F: Djokovic/Zverev/Roanic

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Pathway for Nadal

Rd 1: Duckworth
Rd 2: Ebden/Struff
Rd 3: De Minaur
Rd 4: Schwartzmann/Berdych/Edmond
QF: Isner/Dimitrov/Anderson
SF: Federer/Cilic/Murray/Khachanov
F: Djokovic/Zverev/Roanic

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
bad luck for Tsonga, Nole in 2nd round won't be easy at all

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
Ugh, I hated this draw to my guts. A lot of players I like pitted against each other in the first round.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
I've heard that they changed the balls for the AUS OPEN, from Wilson to Dunlop. In general Dunlop balls are lighter and harder than Wilson, so I would guess this would favor the big hitters, but we need to know the actual product that will hit the courts...

(italics on edited word)

Last edited:

atttomole

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Federer’s draw is tricky. If Federer reaches round 4, he could be in serious trouble against Tsitsipas.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
I've heard that they changed the balls for the AUS OPEN, from Wilson to Dunlop. In general Dunlop balls are lighter and heavier than Wilson, so I would guess this would favor the big hitters, but we need to know the actual product that will hit the courts...

Lighter and heavier?

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Federer’s draw is tricky. If Federer reaches round 4, he could be in serious trouble against Tsitsipas.

What I don't like is there are two potential tricky customers in the 4th round and 2 potential tough QF's. Upsets happen but if the Greek hero gets upset there is still Bash, if Cilic gets upset there is still Khach.

But end of day it is about Roger. If he plays well on a fairly fast hard court he's reaching the final at the very least. He had a nice Hopman Cup, let's see if he is back to a respectable level again.

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Federer has the easiest draw in the history of the universe and some of his fans are complaining. :facepalm: Looking at his draw he probably slept with the director of the AO. :heart:

Rafa's draw is very tricky but if he's 100% healthy he will have no problem as he would be the favorite against anyone. Vamos Rafa! :good:

atttomole

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I've heard that they changed the balls for the AUS OPEN, from Wilson to Dunlop. In general Dunlop balls are lighter and heavier than Wilson, so I would guess this would favor the big hitters, but we need to know the actual product that will hit the courts...
What do you mean by Dunlop balls being lighter and heavier than Wilson?

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Federer has the easiest draw in the history of the universe and some of his fans are complaining. :facepalm: Looking at his draw he probably slept with the director of the AO. :heart:

Rafa's draw is very tricky but if he's 100% healthy he will have no problem as he would be the favorite against anyone. Vamos Rafa! :good:

Lol, poor troll attempt. Try harder! Roger clearly with the tougher draw but I don't think any of the top 3 have much to complain about. None of them have a brutal draw.

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Yeah Istomin with a 0-6 h2h vs Federer, 0-1 this year and a career match record in the negative is such a difficult draw. :cuckoo:

Poor Federer. :cry:

:rolleyes:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Yeah Istomin with a 0-6 h2h vs Federer, 0-1 this year and a career match record in the negative is such a difficult draw. :cuckoo:

Poor Federer. :cry:

:rolleyes:
I've just glanced through the draw, but I do think Roger has the more difficult of the big 3. That said, Istomin is remembered for taking out Novak in the 2nd round a couple of years ago. But given what Istomin has done since, i.e., nothing, that upset does look to have been more about Novak's freefall than a dangerous floater in Istomin.

The_Grand_Slam

Masters Champion
Reactions
I've just glanced through the draw, but I do think Roger has the more difficult of the big 3. That said, Istomin is remembered for taking out Novak in the 2nd round a couple of years ago. But given what Istomin has done since, i.e., nothing, that upset does look to have been more about Novak's freefall than a dangerous floater in Istomin.

2-33 record against top-10 guys

Reactions: Moxie