2014 Roland Garros (French Open) May 25 - June 8, 2014: (Main Draw in Post #1)

Who will win 2014 Roland Garros

• Rafa

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • Nole

Votes: 9 47.4%
  • Stan

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Roger

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • David

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tomas

• Andy

• Milos

• Kei

• Other - specify

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Kieran said:
^^ I agree with this, BB. It's called the GSM Quandary: an Unnamed Assassin takes out the King and Federer benefits, again. He's definitely going to throw himself into this one, sensing that Rafa is vulnerable. I think if it came down to him against Nole for a place in the final against Daveed, I'd also bet on Roger...

I don't know about that. I wouldn't say Federer has come in with the greatest clay preparation, but he does have a great draw that could work quite well. I will say of anyone Djoker is looking to prey on the Rafa vulnerability. I think Roger really will shine at Wimbledon.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I think Federer has a bad draw: he could face Berdych in the QF, and he's not afraid of Roger any more. There's potentially Gulbis or Benneteau along the way, and then if he makes it, possibly Nole in the semis.

I don't think this is a "great draw", buddy...

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I think Federer has a nice and kind draw in his quarter. I don't see any landmines.
I don't really see Berdych making it to QF. Finally, even if he makes it to QF, I am
not worried about Berdych winning over Fed on Clay. I will definitely be worried
about this on non-clay surfaces.

I see our famous spoiler Kohlschrbrier taking out Andy in the 3rd round.

I don't expect Berdych, Andy and Milos to actually reach the QF.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Kieran said:
I think Federer has a bad draw: he could face Berdych in the QF, and he's not afraid of Roger any more. There's potentially Gulbis or Benneteau along the way, and then if he makes it, possibly Nole in the semis.

I don't think this is a "great draw", buddy...

I think it is a great draw for him. Certainly a workable draw given his lack of clay matches this year. The only person of note on his side who has gotten him in the slams is Berdych. Sure Gulbis and Benneteau are tough customers, but not anyone I expect to give Roger too much trouble. It really depends on how much Roger wants to focus. The focus I think was more on the twins than in Rome, and it could still be that way heading into Paris. I think we are going to see Roger buckle down for Wimbledon rather than Paris.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Top candidates for unnamed player:

1st Roiund: None
2nd Round: Dominic Thiem
3rd Round: Tamar Gabashville
4th Round: Delbonis/Haas/Almagro

Players have names starting from QF definitely. Also, the dirt devil will round
up to form if not taken out before QF.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Come on GSM, you looked at the draw and despaired. Who's the Unnamed Dude? You can't name him because it's as unrealistic now that you know their names as it was before the draw... ;)

Moose

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
I have 5 of the Top 8 seeds out before the 1/4s:

4) Federer - loses to Gulbis 4th R
5) Ferrer - loses to Dimitrov 4th R
6) Berdych - loses to Bautista Agut 3rd R
7) Murray - loses to Kohlschreiber 3rd R
8) Raonic - loses to Dolgo/Kei 4th R

I also still end up with #1 and #2 playing for the title, despite those upsets.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
I'd make a decent sized bet Berdych falls before the quarters so no worries for Roger there and as GSM correctly stated, clay isn't a major worry for Federer against him even if Berdych does survive that long.

Worst news so far for Nadal fans is there's rain predicted for much of the first week and he clearly doesn't like that although luckily for him he's drawn no big hitters capable of blasting him off the court in the early stages so actually it probably won't make much difference. His topspin will definitely be hurting opponents a lot less though so his wins may be a lot more labored as they've been most of the clay season to date this year.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Moose said:
I have 5 of the Top 8 seeds out before the 1/4s:

4) Federer - loses to Gulbis 4th R
5) Ferrer - loses to Dimitrov 4th R
6) Berdych - loses to Bautista Agut 3rd R
7) Murray - loses to Kohlschreiber 3rd R
8) Raonic - loses to Dolgo/Kei 4th R

I also still end up with #1 and #2 playing for the title, despite those upsets.

I'd agree with many of those, especially Berdych and Raonic. Murray is 50/50 there, as is Ferrer imo but wouldn't surprise me that much if both lost. Gulbis can indeed be rather deadly on clay and if it were best of 3 I'd agree he'd pose a big threat but Federer should win that I reckon. They're both prone to lapses in concentration but I'd favour the guy who's had tons more success at RG any day, and not just saying that as a fan, just being realistic.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
^ Ps: big fan of Gulbis too and if it were anyone but Federer I'd been hoping he'd rip them a new one :cool: Either way it's not an easy match and it's also questionable that erratic Ernie even makes it to the 4th round.

TennisFanatic7

Major Winner
Reactions
Website
tennisfanaticblog.weebly.com
I'm not really worried about Andy not reaching the QFs. He's dodgy on clay but he does tend to step it up in the slams and I'm not sure Kohlschreiber or Gasquet have enough in the tank to win three sets against him.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Front242 said:
^ Ps: big fan of Gulbis too and if it were anyone but Federer I'd been hoping he'd rip them a new one :cool: Either way it's not an easy match and it's also questionable that erratic Ernie even makes it to the 4th round.

Besides, by the time Fed reaches 4th round to play Gulbis, all the rust due to not playing
matches the last five weeks would be gone. I am ready to pencil in Roger for an SF.
After that, he may need foreign assistance and/or divine assistance.

But, it would be fun if he ends up winning this as he would then have 2 of each and
not very many are talking about that.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Roger would rather have anyone in the QF aside from Berd and that goes for any major (yes I'm including Murray). Berd has been very inconsistent so he might not make it there but if he does I'd pick Berd to win that match no question. I think Roger's chances are better on fast courts where he can take the game to Berd but even there it is tough.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
DarthFed said:
Roger would rather have anyone in the QF aside from Berd and that goes for any major (yes I'm including Murray). Berd has been very inconsistent so he might not make it there but if he does I'd pick Berd to win that match no question. I think Roger's chances are better on fast courts where he can take the game to Berd but even there it is tough.

I actually think the other way w.r.t. the match up between post peak Roger and Berdych.
Berdych has an advantage over Roger in hard courts and on grass (to a lesser extent). Berdych
has a great serve on fast courts and it would be neutralized on clay. Also, Berdych does
not have clay chops. So, I am not worried about Berdych.

Most probably Agut or Robredo will be across the net in QF agaist Roger.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
TennisFanatic7 said:
I'm not really worried about Andy not reaching the QFs. He's dodgy on clay but he does tend to step it up in the slams and I'm not sure Kohlschreiber or Gasquet have enough in the tank to win three sets against him.

Kohlscreiber played two matches today in Dusseldorf (or parts of two,) and is into the final tomorrow v. Karlovic. I'd pick Murray, if they meet.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Andy is reaching a crucial part of his year: he'll face enormous scrutiny at Wimbledon. Better for him to stay in Paris as long as possible and delay the media glare...

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
^ Roger's main problems are 1. he can't put Berd on the defensive consistently. Eventually Berd takes control of the point and Roger's defense is not good enough to turn it around anymore and 2. Berd returns Roger's serve very well and Roger ends up with an awful 2nd serve % won and doesn't win many free points period.

Both of these figure to be bigger problems on the slower surfaces. Just look at Roger's last 3 wins over Tomas, a dominating win indoors at Paris, a nailbiting win on the gimmicky blue clay of Madrid in 2012, and then a tough comeback in Dubai this year. The last time I remember them playing on a slow surface was Miami 2010 which was a close win by Berd, so it has been awhile.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
^ Always fugly as hell matches between Berdych and Federer.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Roger didn't do himself any favors with that awful post match excuse fest after Wimbledon 2010. Berd always brings it vs. Roger now.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
^ Yeah, the bad back comments there sucked alright.