2014 Roland Garros QF: Nadal vs. Ferrer

Who wins?

• Total voters

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Nadal leads the H2H 21-6

http://www.atpworldtour.com/Players/Head-To-Head.aspx?pId=N409&oId=F401

They've split the last 4 meetings. The most recent was the Monte Carlo QF that Ferrer took in straights.

Who wins?

nadal-vs-thiem-roland-garros-r2-2014-9.jpg

vs
446918-david-ferrer-of-spain-reacts-during-his-mens-singles-match-against-igo.JPG

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
RE: Roland Garros QF: Nadal vs. Ferrer

Incoming Tennis Frontier $hitstorm:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/tennis/article-2644921/Rafael-Nadal-injury-concerns-despite-cruising-16.html

tented

Administrator
Reactions

^ Yeah, they've been talking about that all morning on ESPN. I'm surprised it took this long for someone to mention it.

TsarMatt

Major Winner
Reactions

Nadal in 4 sets. Ferrer's recent win over Rafa on clay will surely give him some confidence, but there's no way, at least in my opinion, that Ferrer is defeating Nadal at RG. Then again, this back injury is a bit of a concern. One doesn't know the severity of it, course, but if it's bad, then you just never know.

Should be a good match nonetheless. Expect a lot of long, grinding rallies, much similar to Monte Carlo.

R

Rose

With Rafa's back I don't even want to think about this Match :cover

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

So, for those who can't be bothered to click the link, Nadal said he felt some discomfort in his back in his opening match and that's why he's been taking some pace off the serve.

‘I felt my back a little bit so that’s why I slowed down the serve,’ he said.

‘I felt it a little bit from the beginning and in the second match I was not serving that fast, too. I had a few strappings on and in the second set I was feeling the pain.

‘During my career I have had a few problems so always things can happen. Hopefully, it will not be the case here.’

(Please, let's try -- TRY -- not to turn this into Rafa's history with injuries, their legitimacy, and excuse making. I doubt he's just taping his back as camouflage, and taking pace off his serve to play possum).

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

I picked Rafa in 5. David is such a good returner that he could really punish rafa for the 107 mph average first serve. That being said, I don't seem him winning it, but he has a much better shot than I would have predicted at the beginning of this year.

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca

Rafa has not been tested physically or mentally yet. This is the first one. Can David make it really physical for Rafa? If he can, and the back comes into play, anything can happen. If the back is OK and the only effect of it is 10k's off the serve speed, Rafa will still find a way to win this in 4.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

I still think Nadal will beat him. It's a major after all. And the French Open at that. Had he been serving better I'd have picked him in straights. I'll go with 4 sets, but I expect a lot of breaks. Hopefully Nadal finds some angle on his slider out wide to get on top of the points.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions

Broken_Shoelace said:
I still think Nadal will beat him. It's a major after all. And the French Open at that. Had he been serving better I'd have picked him in straights. I'll go with 4 sets, but I expect a lot of breaks. Hopefully Nadal finds some angle on his slider out wide to get on top of the points.

I sincerely hope that Rafa provides a beat down of Ferrer.,,

crystalfire

Major Winner
Reactions

havent really seen any of ferrer's matches but he seems to be playing well. so im gonna say rafa in 5. but it could be ferrer.

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I dunno..its ferrers best ever chance to beat nadal at a major I think.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Broken_Shoelace said:
So, for those who can't be bothered to click the link, Nadal said he felt some discomfort in his back in his opening match and that's why he's been taking some pace off the serve.

‘I felt it a little bit from the beginning and in the second match I was not serving that fast, too. I had a few strappings on and in the second set I was feeling the pain.

‘During my career I have had a few problems so always things can happen. Hopefully, it will not be the case here.’

(Please, let's try -- TRY -- not to turn this into Rafa's history with injuries, their legitimacy, and excuse making. I doubt he's just taping his back as camouflage, and taking pace off his serve to play possum).

Speaking of medical injuries, Rafa playing Ferrer is like going to the dentist every 6 months, you know its gonna occur but you never look forward to the visit.IMO

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
tented said:
^ Yeah, they've been talking about that all morning on ESPN. I'm surprised it took this long for someone to mention it.

no one mentioned it on here prob because we are all bored of hearing rafa moan about everything..or mention injuries that he does not want to talk about even though he brings it up of his own accord to start with.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
JesuslookslikeBorg. said:
I dunno..its ferrers best ever chance to beat nadal at a major I think.

His best chances were the US Open in 2007, and the Australian Open in 2011, where he beat Nadal on both occasions.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Broken_Shoelace said:

Even as a Novak fan, I've been wondering about the diminished serve and reduced pop off the backhand side. Obviously something (more than just motivation) is wrong with the old guy. Bad news.

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
^^rafa's back issues are actually helping to make this French open more than just the nadal-djokovic show.

some other players think they might get a look in for once.

I.Haychew

Major Winner
Reactions
Nadal in phour...unless he goes all "2014 Australian Open" on us. Iph so, then Pherrer in phive (6-2 or 6-3, depending on who serves phirst).