2014 Roland Garros SF: Djokovic vs. Gulbis

Who ya got in this one?

• Total voters

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Novak leads the series 4-1

http://www.atpworldtour.com/Players/Head-To-Head.aspx?pId=D643&oId=G858

They haven't played since IW 2011. Ernie's only win came at Brisbane 2009. They have played in a slam once, Roland Garros 2008 QF that Novak took in 3 tight sets. Another compelling match-up.

Who ya like in this one?

rg2014_06.jpg

vs
ernests_gulbis_2926972b.jpg

R

Rose

Before the Tournament had already started I had given the trophy to Nole, if Ernie can take it from him more power to Ernie!

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
RE: 2014 Roland Garros SF: Djokovich vs. Gulbis

I am saying Nole in 4.

crystalfire

Major Winner
Reactions
this could go 5 if ernie serves like he did today. and hes got better game all around to break djokovic unlike raonic.

crystalfire

Major Winner
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
tented said:
Novak in three.

Explain please..U don't think that Ernest has gotten better

Yea I highly doubt djoker wins in 3. If he does he's playing incredibly good or Ernie is playing like crap. Or both.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
crystalfire said:
the AntiPusher said:
tented said:
Novak in three.

Yea I highly doubt djoker wins in 3. If he does he's playing incredibly good or Ernie is playing like crap. Or both.

Absolutely.. I agree..However with Mr Tented , there is some rational reason why he feels that Novak is gonna rolling over EG

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
tented said:
Novak in three.

I agree.

This is the business end of the tournament. Novak's return of serve is much better than Berd's; he's also way more consistent. Rather than power serving, Novak picks his spots and will frustrate the Latvian.

That said, Ernie brings a power game, not unlike Stan's, so he may get a set out of this. Thinking the fact that he's in the semifinal of a slam might play on his nerves a bit.

Will enjoy watching these two guys get after it...

crystalfire

Major Winner
Reactions
gulbis will be in the top 10 when the rankings come out i believe.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Said he was going to celebrate a bit tonight. Hope he doesn't belt back too many vodkas 'cos he has a bigger shot than many think in this semi imo if he serves like he has been. For me his serve is better than Raonic's.

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Front242 said:
Said he was going to celebrate a bit tonight. Hope he doesn't belt back too many vodkas 'cos he has a bigger shot than many think in this semi imo if he serves like he has been. For me his serve is better than Raonic's.

It's not nearly as reliable as Raonic, IMO.

I think he was mostly kidding about celebrating.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Front242 said:

Where do I send the case of Riga Black Balsam and cigarettes?! :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riga_Black_Balsam

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
Novak has the perfect game to bring out the headcase in Gulbis. His mental approach will be tested severely by Nole. I don't think he will be able to handle it. I do give him kudos for improvement in that and other areas by the way. But...

Nole in straights.

crystalfire

Major Winner
Reactions
nehmeth said:
Front242 said:

yea lets send him a lot so he has like a 2 day hangover.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
nehmeth said:
Front242 said:

Have that very same bottle in the kitchen cupboard here. Good for helping recovery from colds in winter apparently though I never tried 'cos I'm hardly ever sick :cool: This missus is back home in Riga till Friday actually, home of said stuff as the name would imply :p Kvass is a nice drink actually. Also found in Latvia and surrounding countries.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kvass

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Riotbeard said:
Front242 said:

It's not nearly as reliable as Raonic, IMO.

I think he was mostly kidding about celebrating.

Thing is though, the rest of his game is light years better than Raonic's so he doesn't have to fall back on his serve anywhere near as much. I found Raonic's BH improved today compared to earlier this year though and kudos to him on a very good tournament. A shame Nishikori couldn't play though as he was meant to be in his quarter. If that little fella was fully fit he'd likely be big trouble to many of the top players. Unluckily for him he hardly ever is fully fit.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
crystalfire said:
the AntiPusher said:
tented said:
Novak in three.

Absolutely.. I agree..However with Mr Tented , there is some rational reason why he feels that Novak is gonna rolling over EG

Probably because Djokovic is Djokovic and Gulbis is Gulbis. Wouldn't shock me if Novak won in straights at all. And a straight set match doesn't necessarily have to be a walk in the park. The sets themselves might be close.

Personally I'll go with Novak in 4.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
One thing I'm interested in is the forehand CC exchanges. Novak's forehand is significantly superior, and Gulbis' rally forehand cross court doesn't have the same angle and variety. It's huge, but Gulbis is far more comfortable hitting it when he's dictating and not on the run. He's inconsistent when changing direction with that shot and going up the line so I think Novak will be daring him to do that quite a lot, before adjusting if it turns out Ernie is doing it consistently.

I think Ernie will hold his own on the backhand wing though.

I think the rallies will be close and the match competitive, but that extra bit of defense, counter-punching, better-returning, and consistency on the forehand will make the difference between a super-tight match that can go either way and a competitive but comfortable victory for Novak.