2014 Roland Garros SF: Nadal vs Murray

Who wins

• Total voters

crystalfire

Major Winner
Reactions
they just played in rome which murray almost won. can he actually do it this time around. who yall got?

R

Rose

RE: French open semis: Nadal vs Murray

Both of them :laydownlaughing

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

I pick Nadal in 3 or 4 sets. It is just of matter of which Murray shows up in this match. If Murray plays like he did against Nadal and the first two sets against Monfils, then I could see Murray taking a set; however, if Murray plays like the last three sets against Monfils, then this would be a straight set match. Either way, Nadal will win this match.

Here's an interesting fact: If Murray wins this match, he would be in the Top 4 surpassing Federer.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

Nadal in 4.

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Picked Nadal in 5. Depends on which murray and rafa show up. Could be Rafa in 3,4, or 5. Don't give Murray too much of a shot.

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

Even after chugging down a 2-liter bottle of the finest Scottish beer, I would have a hard time picking Murray. Maybe if this was a three-set match but like someone else posted somewhere, the hardest feat in tennis right now may be defeating Nadal in a 5-set match at the French Open.

I'll be rooting for Murray all the way until the last point but I will be pleasantly surprised if he wins. Nadal in four says my mind, Murray in five says my wishful heart.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

Rafa in three. He will want to dispatch the Scot and make a statement to the guys in the other semifinal.

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

nehmeth said:
Rafa in three. He will want to dispatch the Scot and make a statement to the guys in the other semifinal.

The only statement Rafa has made so far is that he's vulnarable. He has had a very nice draw so far. This might go the distance, but Rafa will win.

crystalfire

Major Winner
Reactions

i think rafa will win as well regardless which murray shows up. that said murray has the same style as djokovic just not as consistent. so if he can keep it without any lapses he has the best chance of anyone not named djokovic in beating nadal.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

Denisovich said:
nehmeth said:

The only statement Rafa has made so far is that he's vulnarable. He has had a very nice draw so far. This might go the distance, but Rafa will win.

Do you think a tougher draw would have a made a difference? I seriously ask, because what opponent that Nadal could have faced in the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th rounds would have stood a legitimate chance of beating him at the FO? He had to face Ferrer before facing Murray. Sounds to me like his 2nd week draw is anything but easy, and in this particular context, that's far more relevant than a potential tough draw in the first week that he would have navigated through regardless.

TennisFanatic7

Major Winner
Reactions
Website
tennisfanaticblog.weebly.com

Can't really see Andy winning this although if he's ever going to beat Nadal at Garros, this is probably going to be a better chance than he'll ever have given how dangerous a returner he is, if Rafa is indeed having to compromise his serve due to a back problem.

Will be rooting for Murray all the way, but I think Nadal in four.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

Been thinking about this for a week or so and the same thing keeps coming back to me.

I know Novak has to beat Ernie to get to the final. But if he makes it to the final here, the only person I want to see on the other side of the net is Rafael Nadal. If he's going to win this thing, I want it to be by beating the King of Clay on his home turf.

ftan

Masters Champion
Reactions

I will stick with my initial prediction.. Rafa will get through in 4 competitive sets

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions

nehmeth said:
Been thinking about this for a week or so and the same thing keeps coming back to me.

I know Novak has to beat Ernie to get to the final. But if he makes it to the final here, the only person I want to see on the other side of the net is Rafael Nadal. If he's going to win this thing, I want it to be by beating the King of Clay on his home turf.

"Been thinking about this for a week or so"

Only been thinking about for a week..Yeah right, you are full of BrokenShoelace..

Batman vs Djoker, mortal enemies on the tennis court.. Agreed.. Bring it on.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions

^ What makes you think he couldn't the way Nadal has been playing? This is 2014 Nadal not previous years.

Iona16

Masters Champion
Reactions

I wait nearly 3 years for a Murray v Nadal match and then I get 2 in the space of 3 weeks.

I think it would be insulting to Andy for anyone to suggest that any version of Nadal can just show up and beat Murray. Is Rafa the overwhelming favourite? Absolutely. Do I think Rafa will win and in 3 sets? Yes, and quite possibly. I don't think Rafa will be underestimating Andy though.

I'll be rooting for my boy obviously. I just hope that the winner of this match wins the tournament.

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca

TennisFanatic7 said:
1972Murat said:
Murray gets this one in 4. Or Nadal. Someone wins in 4.

Out of curiosity, what makes you think Murray could get it done?

Returns. Murray has the potential to be in every Rafa service game. And he has a big first serve. So if things went his way, he could pull it off. On a lesser note, the DTL backhand Murray has, on a good day, could be another determining factor.

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

1972Murat said:
TennisFanatic7 said:
1972Murat said:
Murray gets this one in 4. Or Nadal. Someone wins in 4.

Out of curiosity, what makes you think Murray could get it done?

Returns. Murray has the potential to be in every Rafa service game. And he has a big first serve. So if things went his way, he could pull it off. On a lesser note, the DTL backhand Murray has, on a good day, could be another determining factor.

I'll admit I haven't been able to see a lot of Murray's serve this tournament but from what I've seen I would have guessed his serve is still giving him fits. How was it clicking for him yesterday?