2014 Roland Garros Final: Nadal vs. Djokovic

Who wins?

• Total voters

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
I mentioned before I do not believe in momentum from tournament to tournament, not even match to match because there are so many momentum changes even within a match. So I don't think Nole's recent wins against Rafa will play any role on Sunday.

Having said that, if one had to look for signs from today, a lot of positives for Rafa, bit of a worry for Nole, but Sunday is a new day and there are no secrets between these two. Everybody knows everything.

One thing is for sure: Rafa is not giving this away. Nole wants it, he has to go get it. Nole's mental wanderings is a concern though. Can he keep it together for a whole match?

Here is my feeling: If it goes 5 sets, Rafa takes this. Since Nole is not winning this in straights, his only chance of winning it is in 4 sets. Just my feeling.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
1972Murat said:
I mentioned before I do not believe in momentum from tournament to tournament, not even match to match because there are so many momentum changes even within a match. So I don't think Nole's recent wins against Rafa will play any role on Sunday.

Having said that, if one had to look for signs from today, a lot of positives for Rafa, bit of a worry for Nole, but Sunday is a new day and there are no secrets between these two. Everybody knows everything.

One thing is for sure: Rafa is not giving this away. Nole wants it, he has to go get it. Nole's mental wanderings is a concern though. Can he keep it together for a whole match?

Here is my feeling: If it goes 5 sets, Rafa takes this. Since Nole is not winning this in straights, his only chance of winning it is in 4 sets. Just my feeling.

Sounds logical to me! I can't wait for the more irrational posts; NOT! :snigger :laydownlaughing

crystalfire

Major Winner
Reactions
Heart says djoker but I just can't pick against Rafa at the French. Hope I'm wrong tho

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
tented said:
Djokovic in 4.

Congrats in advance, Novak, on the Career Slam.

Stop these games tented :snigger

I think Novak in 4. I think making it to a 5th set means Novak is off his game, so Rafa would take advantage and win it. So I pretty much agree with Murat.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Riotbeard said:
tented said:
Djokovic in 4.

I think Novak in 4. I think making it to a 5th set means Novak is off his game, so Rafa would take advantage and win it. So I pretty much agree with Murat.

They're not games! I voted for Novak in Rome, and guess what? Novak won. I voted for Novak here, and he'll win this, too.

Good lord, what does Rafa have to do to make it plain to everyone he's not going to win? He lost in Monte Carlo to Ferrer for the first time on clay in a decade. He lost to Almagro for the first time ever. He only won Madrid because Kei retired. He lost in Rome. What's it going to take to get you to think I'm NOT playing games?

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
i'll go for rafa or djokovic in 5..its going to be a classic, dunno who might win though.

what level is rafa at ?, he has not been tested much thanks to feeble displays by ferrer/murray.

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
This is it folks, the final most of us have been waiting for. Novak gets to face the ultimate challenge on clay: Rafa Nadal in the final at Roland Garros.

I agree with Murat that the mental lapses are a source of concern, but I also think Novak understands that he is not facing Gulbis but Nadal Sunday. I disagree about previous matches not being relevant. It would be surprising if another Rafa shows up, and expected that he will not bring his absolute best. He did do a good job against Murray though, but that was more Murray's doing.

Weather is probably providing reasonably neutral conditions, cloudy with a patch of rain but hot. No wind (which is good for Novak).

Djokovic in four to get his Career Slam against the King of Clay himself. Might go to five too.

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
tented said:
Riotbeard said:
tented said:
Djokovic in 4.

They're not games! I voted for Novak in Rome, and guess what? Novak won. I voted for Novak here, and he'll win this, too.

Good lord, what does Rafa have to do to make it plain to everyone he's not going to win? He lost in Monte Carlo to Ferrer for the first time on clay in a decade. He lost to Almagro for the first time ever. He only won Madrid because Kei retired. He lost in Rome. What's it going to take to get you to think I'm NOT playing games?

Yeah, that's my feeling too. He might be able to right the ship just in time too. Would not surprise me.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
I'll be $2,500 richer if a certain hated left hander wins, not to name names. I think this is the year Djoker doesn't cave in, the only question in these matchups is if he can play clean enough throughout as he is almost always going to dictate play. I will go with Nole in 4 but if it goes 5 it is definitely Wafa.

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
tented said:
Riotbeard said:
tented said:
Djokovic in 4.

Teasing you a little bit, hence the good natured emoticon. I also think you are underselling rafa a bit, but alas, I guess if Novak wins all the rafa fans will expect it which takes away some of the fun of a rivalry.

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
DarthFed said:
I'll be $2,500 richer if a certain hated left hander wins, not to name names. I think this is the year Djoker doesn't cave in, the only question in these matchups is if he can play clean enough throughout as he is almost always going to dictate play. I will go with Nole in 4 but if it goes 5 it is definitely Wafa.

I would tend to think the opposite. Novak is not letting this one go. Not after his previous GS finals and last years semi.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Riotbeard said:
tented said:
Riotbeard said:
tented said:
Djokovic in 4.

Teasing you a little bit, hence the good natured emoticon. I also think you are underselling rafa a bit, but alas, I guess if Novak wins all the rafa fans will expect which takes away some of the fun of a rivalry.

Oh, I know you're teasing, my friend, but I also want to make it clear I'm going into this with my eyes wide open. This has been a landmark poor clay season for Rafa. It's not going to turn into greatness all of a sudden.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
DarthFed said:

Why did you make the bet? I hope you don't stand to lose a lot, Darth!

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
tented said:
Riotbeard said:
tented said:
Riotbeard said:
tented said:
Djokovic in 4.

Teasing you a little bit, hence the good natured emoticon. I also think you are underselling rafa a bit, but alas, I guess if Novak wins all the rafa fans will expect which takes away some of the fun of a rivalry.

Oh, I know you're teasing, my friend, but I also want to make it clear I'm going into this with my eyes wide open. This has been a landmark poor clay season for Rafa. It's not going to turn into greatness all of a sudden.

I hear ya. I guess it's the novak fan in me, that knows recent disappointment in slam finals. Novak has been at times capable of giving slams away at times...

And I also hope that Novak isn't thinking he already has the title etc. I think based on recent form, Novak SHOULD win this, but I still have some fear.

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
previous clay form this season might not count for much in a major final for rafa.

bet he finds a way to raise his level.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
tented said:
Riotbeard said:
tented said:
Djokovic in 4.

Tented. I dont have a problem with your predicting Djoker.. Its been a tough year for Rafa but I am very encouraged about the way he has picked up his level of play the past 6 sets at RG. As usual, I am sticking with (Batman, Dirt Devil, The Spanish Bull, The Clay Warrior or the Ultimate Competior, RAFA) over Djoker in 5. Djoker is going to have a baby and getting married(he will have a fantastic Summer regardless of the outcome)

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Riotbeard said:
I hear ya. I guess it's the novak fan in me, that knows recent disappointment in slam finals. Novak has been at times capable of giving slams away at times...

And I also hope that Novak isn't thinking he already has the title etc. I think based on recent form, Novak SHOULD win this, but I still have some fear.

That won't be a problem. He knows better. He's too tough and smart as a competitor to take that attitude. That's something we fans worry about at times, but not them.