WTA News and Gossip 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
This does not come as a total surprise to me, considering the number of times they
broke off and got together in the past. The only difference this time is that they are
doing it after printing the invitation. :rolleyes:

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
This does not come as a total surprise to me, considering the number of times they
broke off and got together in the past. The only difference this time is that they are
doing it after printing the invitation. :rolleyes:

Yeah, they're a bit twittery and tabloidistic. I bet when they announced their engagement she spent the whole night checking how many likes she got for it on Facebook and buying up more followers for Twitter...

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I am glad Rory realized the problem was on his side and he did the correct thing in calling off the engagement.Marriage is a long time commitment.I feel the couples of today,take the easy way out,getting a divorce,call me old fashioned if you will.I also feel they get caught up in the name of 'love',without thinking.....................

Caroline and Rory being in the public spot light,makes this harder.

Caroline must be devastated,in time she will realize,this is a blessing in disguise.I wish her all the best.

rubydo

Reactions
Not sure if Caroline will be devastated, fashionista, but it will certainly cause her some sadness and pain. It had some seriously rocky moments since 2011. I agree with you that Rory owned up to his problem and made the smart decision to call it off. I remind myself, that while I am in the media, public figures are "human" too, and deserve respect from us, when such stories are made public.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
^ As you say, Ruby, they're both human, and I expect they might both be a little devastated. It's gotta be hard managing a high-profile relationship, especially with two such peripatetic lifestyles. Breaking up is hard enough, without having to do it on a global scale. I wish them both well.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
^ As you say, Ruby, they're both human, and I expect they might both be a little devastated. It's gotta be hard managing a high-profile relationship, especially with two such peripatetic lifestyles. Breaking up is hard enough, without having to do it on a global scale. I wish them both well.

I don't have any sympathy for them. All along they used to feed the media with
info and teasers about their relationship (such as Carloline posting a picture of
Rory in a bad pose etc). I don't think either of them was so much interested in
maintaing the privacy of their relationship and nurture it. Actually, they were
happy that their relationship was in the news and media. Only thing is that,
they wanted to be in control of what gets out in the news. That is double
standards. Hence, they don't deserve sympathy.

golds girl

Major Winner
Reactions
^I think KSKate captured the essence of marriages and engagements, it's a great comment.

I have some male friends who commented on this story and said 'oh he probably felt pressured into proposing in the first place cause she probably talked about it ALL the time'
As an adult male, he should have been able to stand strong and say 'hey let's date and really get to know each other' and if she's threatening to leave then so be it.
Now, he's put her in an embarrassing position where invites have been sent out and registries and dresses have been thought of.
Also, not sure why I learned about this from a press conference on ESPN, no need to put EVERYTHING on Front St.

I feel badly for her for that particular lost future, but there's no better way to get your mind off things than to go to work. There's an Open coming up.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Moxie629 said:

I don't have any sympathy for them. All along they used to feed the media with
info and teasers about their relationship (such as Carloline posting a picture of
Rory in a bad pose etc). I don't think either of them was so much interested in
maintaing the privacy of their relationship and nurture it. Actually, they were
happy that their relationship was in the news and media. Only thing is that,
they wanted to be in control of what gets out in the news. That is double
standards. Hence, they don't deserve sympathy.

They may have made huge mistakes, because they're young and famous, but if you don't assume that there is also heartbreak that deserves some sympathy, I think you're being too cynical. They're only 22-23, right? I'd ask you to remember having your heart broken at that age, because I think almost all of us did.

And I don't see what double standard you mean…they didn't blame media attention for their breakup. That would be the double-standard you're identifying, I think.

R

Rose

Two high profile people in Pro Sports especially in two different Pro Sports didn't really have a chance. I'm glad Rory called it off before the wedding! People in their positions are media magnets and sure maybe they did use that a bit, but it was a two way street. And I always feel sympathy when any couple breaks up!

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
golds girl said:
^I think KSKate captured the essence of marriages and engagements, it's a great comment.

I have some male friends who commented on this story and said 'oh he probably felt pressured into proposing in the first place cause she probably talked about it ALL the time'
As an adult male, he should have been able to stand strong and say 'hey let's date and really get to know each other' and if she's threatening to leave then so be it.
Now, he's put her in an embarrassing position where invites have been sent out and registries and dresses have been thought of.
Also, not sure why I learned about this from a press conference on ESPN, no need to put EVERYTHING on Front St.

I feel badly for her for that particular lost future, but there's no better way to get your mind off things than to go to work. There's an Open coming up.

The same thing happened to my sister would you believe.She was about to send the invitations out and her fiancee of 5 years,suddenly decided he didnt want to go on with their marriage.My sister had her wedding dress and bridesmaids dresses made,the reception was booked and also the honeymoon.My sister's fiancee was a man in his thirties by the way.My sister was devastated,so say the least.In hindsight she also saw this as a blessing.I am happy to report she is happily married with two wonderful children.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Rose said:
Two high profile people in Pro Sports especially in two different Pro Sports didn't really have a chance. I'm glad Rory called it off before the wedding! People in their positions are media magnets and sure maybe they did use that a bit, but it was a two way street. And I always feel sympathy when any couple breaks up!

I have sympathy about their break-up.

What I was referring to in my "no sympathy" post is this: They used the news and
media in various ways to get the publicity they wanted. Now they cannot say, we
are also human, we want to hide and grieve privately over the break-up. That would
be double standards.

You either attempt to keep all media out of your private life (i know it is difficult).
But, once you take an active part in using the media, you cannot ask them to keep
out of it at your call. Of course, here they did not request the media yet. But, I
saw another poster essentially requesting that media should keep out as "they are
also humans". That is where I have no sympathy.

Hoergren

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I guess we all have had the opportunity to end a relationship and found out after a while that we were there - alive and well - ready for the rest of our life. It's tough but every time you learn how to live and how life is cruel, pleasant, painful, lovable, laughable and cosy. Here real friends show their sympahty. These are a few twits from today a couple of hours ago:

Caroline Wozniacki ‏@CaroWozniacki 7 t.

It's a hard time for me right now.Thanks for all the sweet messages!Happy I support Liverpool right now because I know I'll never walk alone

Serena Williams ‏@serenawilliams
3 t.

@CaroWozniacki I'll always walk with you. #friendsforever

Caroline Wozniacki ‏@CaroWozniacki
3 t.

“@serenawilliams: @CaroWozniacki I'll always walk with you. #friendsforever. aww thank you! ❤️❤️

victoria azarenka ‏@vika7

@CaroWozniacki you know how to reach me :) im there for ya

rubydo

Reactions
I had a niece in London, who was living with her boyfriend for about 5 years. Everything went smoothly, in fact got married, and within 4 weeks, he said to my neice, Katie, in so many words, I can't handle being married, I want out of this marriage. Well, I wanted to flipping catch a flight from Canada to London, and take this weak pea brain moron, and beat the pulp out of him! It broke my niece's heart for many months and really caused our family much sadness.
You can use all the rhetoric you like, on the Caro/Rory situation, but we are on the outside looking in, so who are we to really judge, on such a delicate matter?

jhar26

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
Rose said:
It is always best to leave before the marriage instead of after it!
Yes, but it's always best to leave before you have let your potential bride to be buy her wedding dress and invite all kinds of people to come to the party. Very clumsy and humiliating for Caroline I'd say. They have been in a relationship for almost three years and in a matter of speaking five minutes before he's supposed to say "I do" he calls the whole thing off. Sounds like the script for a Meg Ryan or Sandra Bullock movie. Caro must be devastated. She invested so much in this relationship, even made her own career number two on her list of priorities for almost three years, and for what?

tented

Administrator
Reactions
jhar26 said:
Rose said:
Yes, but it's always best to leave before you have let your potential bride to be buy her wedding dress and invite all kinds of people to come to the party. Very clumsy and humiliating for Caroline I'd say. They have been in a relationship for almost three years and in a matter of speaking five minutes before he's supposed to say "I do" he calls the whole thing off. Sounds like the script for a Meg Ryan or Sandra Bullock movie. Caro must be devastated. She invested so much in this relationship, even made her own career number two on her list of priorities for almost three years, and for what?

Well said, jhar26. Great to see you again, too. :)

jhar26

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Rose said:

I have sympathy about their break-up.

What I was referring to in my "no sympathy" post is this: They used the news and
media in various ways to get the publicity they wanted. Now they cannot say, we
are also human, we want to hide and grieve privately over the break-up. That would
be double standards.

You either attempt to keep all media out of your private life (i know it is difficult).
But, once you take an active part in using the media, you cannot ask them to keep
out of it at your call. Of course, here they did not request the media yet. But, I
saw another poster essentially requesting that media should keep out as "they are
also humans". That is where I have no sympathy.
Well, it's always a difficult balancing act, ain't it? Personally I wouldn't get a facebook account or be on things like twitter if I was a celebrity because you automatically set yourself up for abuse because there are so many fruitcakes out there. On the other hand, if you do decide to go ahead with those things it's primarily to share things with your fans. If not, what would be the point? Deciding on what isn't enough and what is too much is the hard part. And yes, I admit that is a fan I enjoy the fact that Caroline let's "me" know (up to a point) what's going on in her life. And she's a pretty bubbly girl by nature and perhaps also a bit naive, so she probably doesn't see any harm in these things. And in principle there isn't, or shouldn't be.

But not everybody out there is a Caroline Wozniacki fan who has her best interests at heart - not by a long shot. There are also a lot of people out there, including people from the media who put every word you say under the microscope in the hope that you will make a mistake or say something that they can sell as such. And of course, once things really go wrong there's bound to be a lot of gloating from jealous people who say that they always knew that it would end like this. Sharing your happiness with your fans is fun for both you as a celeb and for those fans, but the flip side is that there are also lots of people out there who will be opening champagne bottles and high fiving each other when things all go horribly wrong. It's a cruel world out there, Caroline. :hug

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
jhar26 said:
Rose said:

Sad but true.There is a hard lesson to be learnt here not only for Caroline,but for others who have been put in this position.My sister also learnt her lesson the hard way.My sister also made her own career number two for five years and the exact same thing happened to her like Caroline.

I think in relationships one has to find a balance.Most couples support each other's career's,so they should,though not at the expense of another....eg like Caroline did.I dont think that is being selfish at all.Hopefully in time,Caroline will see this as a blessing in disguise.Caroline can now give her career,the 100% focus.I wish her all the best in the future.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I don't buy the notion that Caroline put her carrer second due to relationship. It is not that
she took time off from tennis circuit or anything close to that. She was playing full schedule
and was generally sucking.

The problem is that Caroline was in love with being in love. The realationship put her
in the dreamland and so she was not focusing on tennis properly. It is not like she spent
lot of time supporting Rory and so she put her career second.

Disclaimer: I am not supporting what Rory did though.

jhar26

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
I don't buy the notion that Caroline put her carrer second due to relationship......
It is not like she spent lot of time supporting Rory and so she put her career second.
Oh, but she did. I can't count all the times when at the Caro fan forum at TF fans were complaining that instead of properly training she was following Rory around in some golf tournament. She no doubt missed countless training sessions because of all that. I rarely said anything about it because, well, young girl in love and that sort of thing. Let's just say that despite the fact that I didn't always agree with her actions I understood them from an emotional perspective. But that makes the fact that he has now dumped her at the last minute even more frustrating of course. To tell you the truth, I always feared that something like this would happen. I was happy that she was happy, but there was always that little voice inside me that told me, "be careful Caroline. You're putting all your eggs in his basket and you might end up with nothing." So sad that my instincts were right.

Status
Not open for further replies.