WTA News and Gossip 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moose

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
RJD11 said:
But more importantly – is Marion Bartoli eyeing a return to competition at Wimbledon? :

And then this appears this morning:

Marion Bartoli to play Wimbledon warm-up tournament in Liverpool
By Jack Prescott, London Correspondent
Filed: Wednesday, April 30, 2014 at 13:35 UK
Last Updated: Wednesday, April 30, 2014 at 13:35 UK
Marion Bartoli has been confirmed to play at a Wimbledon warm-up event in Liverpool.

The Frenchwoman will be the first reigning Wimbledon champion to feature in the Liverpool Hope University International Tennis Tournament, which gets underway on June 20.

The 29-year-old's appearance is likely to fuel speculation that she could return to the sport following her retirement last year.

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/tennis/wimbledon/news/bartoli-to-play-wimbledon-warm-up_152621.html

Hoergren

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Good quote from Vika
BmcIrk2CMAEpWaf.jpg

Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you!!! #teamvika thank u all for ur support

RJD11

Major Winner
Reactions
ten_g_bartoli17_288.jpg

LIVERPOOL, England -- Wimbledon champion Marion Bartoli will play for the first time since her retirement at an exhibition tournament in June.

The 29-year-old Frenchwoman retired suddenly just weeks after winning the Wimbledon title last year. She is set to play in the Liverpool Hope University International Tennis Tournament from June 18-22, which will also feature retired players Greg Rusedski and Virginia Wade, organizers said Wednesday in a statement.

Bartoli struggled with all manner of injuries during her 14-year career, but it was her shoulder that really prevented her from continuing because she could not serve properly.

She won Wimbledon in her 47th start at a Grand Slam tournament -- the most ever played by a woman before winning a major championship, and won it without losing a set.

Copyright 2014 by The Associated Press

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Eugenie Bouchard will likely be on ESPN for her hitting a BH back after slipping and falling on the clay at the Portugal Open--ultimately getting up and winning the point with a BH pass up the line.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
shawnbm said:
Eugenie Bouchard will likely be on ESPN for her hitting a BH back after slipping and falling on the clay at the Portugal Open--ultimately getting up and winning the point with a BH pass up the line.

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VNYwgrJxGQ[/video]

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
fashionista said:
GameSetAndMath said:
fashionista said:
The romance between Stepanek and Kvitova is over.Apparently their manager made the announcement and it has been reported in the Czech media.

This was one of the predictions I made at the end of last year. See the crystal ball
2014 thread for the 10 predictions that I made.

But, is there a new Czech WTA face involved in the break-up?

Not as far as I am aware.

Czech tennis spokesperson,Karel Tejkal,said "Petra and Radek are friends and will continue to support one another".

Petra said "To combine a career and a relationship between two top players is sometimes impossible".

Watch this space....I doubt Steps will be single for very long:)

Time to gloat. See my prediction no. 9 in my top 10 predictions for 2014.

http://www.tennisfrontier.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=1423&page=3&highlight=crystal

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
fashionista said:
GameSetAndMath said:
fashionista said:
The romance between Stepanek and Kvitova is over.Apparently their manager made the announcement and it has been reported in the Czech media.

This was one of the predictions I made at the end of last year. See the crystal ball
2014 thread for the 10 predictions that I made.

But, is there a new Czech WTA face involved in the break-up?

Not as far as I am aware.

Czech tennis spokesperson,Karel Tejkal,said "Petra and Radek are friends and will continue to support one another".

Petra said "To combine a career and a relationship between two top players is sometimes impossible".

Watch this space....I doubt Steps will be single for very long:)

Time to gloat. See my prediction no. 9 in my top 10 predictions for 2014.

http://www.tennisfrontier.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=1423&page=3&highlight=crystal

Impressive....correct with Steps and also Novak getting married this year....let's see if your other predication comes true....there is still enough time for Andy to propose.................

RJD11

Major Winner
Reactions
Wimbledon champion Marion Bartoli is returning to the grass courts of Britain this summer - but she quickly shot down any talk of a comeback.

The Frenchwoman will be at Liverpool Cricket Club in June for the Liverpool Hope University International Tennis Tournament, a pre-Wimbledon exhibition event.

Bartoli became one of the most unexpected champions in Wimbledon's history when she beat Sabine Lisicki in the final last July to win her first grand slam title at the age of 28.

Even more surprisingly, Bartoli announced she was retiring from tennis little over a month later, citing the wear and tear of injuries.

Many people assumed she would change her mind at some point, following in the footsteps of Martina Hingis, Justine Henin and Kim Clijsters in making a comeback.

There have been rumours that Bartoli would ask for a wild card into Wimbledon this year but the 29-year-old insists she could not be happier in retirement.

The recent launch of her fashion brand, which raises money for Unicef, takes up most of her time, while she has also dabbled in media work and turned her hand to painting.

Asked about a comeback, Bartoli told Press Association Sport: "It's not going to happen.

"Tennis is still my passion but I have other passions and they take a lot of work and dedication. I'm going to be 30 years old later this year and my body is extremely tired.

"I never had a feeling of maybe I didn't make the right decision. I'm moving on with my life. When I think about my tennis career it brings me pure happiness and pride but I don't feel I'm missing out."

Attracting a reigning Wimbledon champion for the first time is a big coup for the Liverpool tournament, and Bartoli, who still plays tennis regularly, is hoping to show off her grass-court skills once again.

She said: "I'm very lucky to be coming to Liverpool. I heard from Laura Robson that it's a great event.

"Playing on grass again and for fun, not a serious competition, is really something I'm looking forward to. I still hate to lose so I hope to play all three days."

Liverpool has an extra attraction for Bartoli, who is a massive football fan and supports Olympique Marseille.

She said: "I'm so excited to be visiting Liverpool for the first time. I really hope I can go to Anfield and Goodison and meet the players."

Greg Rusedski and Virginia Wade are the other headliners at the Liverpool tournament, which runs from June 19-22.

Tournament director Anders Borg said: "We have been fortunate to boast some fantastic players in the past, but this year's line-up is the best yet.

"It is the first time that a current Wimbledon champion has been involved with the tournament and we couldn't be happier to have been able to bring Marion to this year's event."

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
RJD11 said:
Wimbledon champion Marion Bartoli is returning to the grass courts of Britain this summer - but she quickly shot down any talk of a comeback.

The Frenchwoman will be at Liverpool Cricket Club in June for the Liverpool Hope University International Tennis Tournament, a pre-Wimbledon exhibition event.

Bartoli became one of the most unexpected champions in Wimbledon's history when she beat Sabine Lisicki in the final last July to win her first grand slam title at the age of 28.

Even more surprisingly, Bartoli announced she was retiring from tennis little over a month later, citing the wear and tear of injuries.

Many people assumed she would change her mind at some point, following in the footsteps of Martina Hingis, Justine Henin and Kim Clijsters in making a comeback.

There have been rumours that Bartoli would ask for a wild card into Wimbledon this year but the 29-year-old insists she could not be happier in retirement.

The recent launch of her fashion brand, which raises money for Unicef, takes up most of her time, while she has also dabbled in media work and turned her hand to painting.

Asked about a comeback, Bartoli told Press Association Sport: "It's not going to happen.

"Tennis is still my passion but I have other passions and they take a lot of work and dedication. I'm going to be 30 years old later this year and my body is extremely tired.

"I never had a feeling of maybe I didn't make the right decision. I'm moving on with my life. When I think about my tennis career it brings me pure happiness and pride but I don't feel I'm missing out."

Attracting a reigning Wimbledon champion for the first time is a big coup for the Liverpool tournament, and Bartoli, who still plays tennis regularly, is hoping to show off her grass-court skills once again.

She said: "I'm very lucky to be coming to Liverpool. I heard from Laura Robson that it's a great event.

"Playing on grass again and for fun, not a serious competition, is really something I'm looking forward to. I still hate to lose so I hope to play all three days."

Liverpool has an extra attraction for Bartoli, who is a massive football fan and supports Olympique Marseille.

She said: "I'm so excited to be visiting Liverpool for the first time. I really hope I can go to Anfield and Goodison and meet the players."

Greg Rusedski and Virginia Wade are the other headliners at the Liverpool tournament, which runs from June 19-22.

Tournament director Anders Borg said: "We have been fortunate to boast some fantastic players in the past, but this year's line-up is the best yet.

"It is the first time that a current Wimbledon champion has been involved with the tournament and we couldn't be happier to have been able to bring Marion to this year's event."

Marion seems happy in retirement with her varied interests.Stay happy Marion.

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I wonder who'll be next Stepanek's gf...can't understand why he's so successful with women !!

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
isabelle said:
I wonder who'll be next Stepanek's gf...can't understand why he's so successful with women !!

I imagine it has something to do with horses ;)

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Safina set to officially retire....report from Kamakshi Tandon.

Former no 1 Dinara Safina will officially retire when she visits Madrid next week to present the womens trophy,reports L'Equipe.

Safina reached the top spot in 2009 but then began to experience back injuries and has not played since Madrid in 2011.Safina is now attending university at Moscow.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
fashionista said:

Former no 1 Dinara Safina will officially retire when she visits Madrid next week to present the womens trophy,reports L'Equipe.

Safina reached the top spot in 2009 but then began to experience back injuries and has not played since Madrid in 2011.Safina is now attending university at Moscow.

Does she plan to run in public election in Russia after retiring? ;)

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
fashionista said:

Does she plan to run in public election in Russia after retiring? ;)

:laydownlaughing

RJD11

Major Winner
Reactions
isabelle said:

In this situation when the guy doesn't look that

appealing, but seems to get all the ladies.......

.... If it ain't for the beauty ... its for the Boo....

He's either.... a master of the motion of the ocean

or ...... he has something in common with Donkeys

...or Gene Simmons

Hoergren

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
BmoZ7WfCMAAgvEu.jpg

Tennis - Former world no. 1 Caroline Wozniacki has other dreams besides winning a grand slam and one of them is to start a family with Rory McIlroy.

The Dane tells Lime magazine in an interview, "I want to be a relatively young mother, and I do not see it as being too far in the future. I have always even been like that I would even want to bring up my children. Therefore, I have no dream to make my mark , instead , I enjoy economic freedom, my hard work has given me. It means that I can give my children the best start in life by being there 100 percent for them."

Talking about her relationship with the golfer, Wozniacki says their time away from each other helps them appreciate the time they do get to spend together. "We try to get our calendars to fit together. I think it helps that we both have something to take us to where we do not see each other and that we both are dealing with something that we are passionate about. When we are in our respective tournaments, we focus there, and so are missed, not so great . And so we learn to be better at appreciating the time we have when we are finally together."

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Laura Robson makes the list of sexiest Women (at #92) by FHM. I agree with her selction
although the particular photograph is not very flattering.

http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2014/05/laura-robson-fhm-sexiest-list/51340/#.U2XR4mAU-M8

10isfan

Major Winner
Reactions
Great to see Woz so happy, and looking forward to married life with Rory. I wonder what she means by "relatively young mom". In any case, I think she will make a wonderful mother.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Laura Robson makes the list of sexiest Women (at #92) by FHM. I agree with her selction
although the particular photograph is not very flattering.

http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2014/05/laura-robson-fhm-sexiest-list/51340/#.U2XR4mAU-M8

Yeah, way too much fake tan for one thing. Clearly a pretty girl but without the fake oompah loompah tan she'd look much nicer imo.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Report from Si.Com

Taylor Townsend has earned a wild card into the main draw at the French Open after winning a US Tennis Association qualifying tournament.The former world no 1 junior will be playing the main draw of a Grand Slam tournament for the first time.She is ranked 256th in the world.

The 18 year old Townsend,earned the spot by beating Anett Konaveit 36 76(4) 64 to reach the final,then topped Yulia Putintseva 61 61 on Sunday in the championship match.

The USTA provides wild cards for one man and one women each year.Robby Ginepri won the men's spot on Saturday.

Status
Not open for further replies.