World Cup 2018

atttomole

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
You're the one extrapolating. Where did I even mention 1998? I said 2006 Zidane took them to the WC final for sure.

Mbappe made a difference for sure but he didn't win it singlehandedly for France. Zidane almost did in 2006. Let me repeat 2006!! Deal with it!
Why only 2006? I want to look at other WC's too. OK. Pele dragged Brazil to the 1970 WC win, Maradona dragged Argentina to the 1986 WC, Romario dragged Brazil to the 1994 WC, Zidane dragged France to the 1998 WC, Ronaldo dragged Brazil to the 2002 WC, Pirlo dragged Italy to the 2006 WC, Iniesta dragged Spain to the 2010 WC, Muller dragged Germany to the 2014 Wc and Mbappe did it this year. No?

atttomole

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
You're the one extrapolating. Where did I even mention 1998? I said 2006 Zidane took them to the WC final for sure.

Mbappe made a difference for sure but he didn't win it singlehandedly for France. Zidane almost did in 2006. Let me repeat 2006!! Deal with it!
I watched WC 2006, and I did not see Zidane dragging France. Can you explain please?

monfed

Major Winner
Reactions
Why only 2006? I want to look at other WC's too. OK. Pele dragged Brazil to the 1970 WC win, Maradona dragged Argentina to the 1986 WC, Romario dragged Brazil to the 1994 WC, Zidane dragged France to the 1998 WC, Ronaldo dragged Brazil to the 2002 WC, Pirlo dragged Italy to the 2006 WC, Iniesta dragged Spain to the 2010 WC, Muller dragged Germany to the 2014 Wc and Mbappe did it this year. No?

Calm down. My point was that the heros of the WC specially Zidane in 06, Messi in 14 and Modric in 18 didn't have their happy ending which they deserved. Pretty much the entire world was rooting for them to achieve glory and it sucks that it didn't happen.

Usually the GOATs of underdog teams don't get glory. For example, Messi didn't win WC when he's won everything and has been the best player for so many years. Meanwhile Mbappe as a teen wins the WC in his very first WC. If you don't see the unfairness in that, then kindly donot respond to my posts, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

monfed

Major Winner
Reactions
I watched WC 2006, and I did not see Zidane dragging France. Can you explain please?

I don't need to explain anything, you can see for yourself. What's that saying? Oh ya Seeing is believing.

atttomole

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Calm down. My point was that the heros of the WC specially Zidane in 06, Messi in 14 and Modric in 18 didn't have their happy ending which they deserved. Pretty much the entire world was rooting for them to achieve glory and it sucks that it didn't happen.

Usually the GOATs of underdog teams don't get glory. For example, Messi didn't win WC when he's won everything and has been the best player for so many years. Meanwhile Mbappe as a teen wins the WC in his very first WC. If you don't see the unfairness in that, then kindly donot respond to my posts, we'll just have to agree to disagree.
Your problem is that you want to tell us that your favorite players should have won a WC because you like them. You can list other top players who could not win WC's, so there is no need to be parochial. Germany scored in the final and Argentina did not, which is how the match went. But Messi should have won it even though Argentina did not score. You are somehow diminishing Germany, a very strong team. France scored 4 goals and Croatia scored 2, but because you like Modric, that should not have happened. Do not allow yourself to be controlled by fantasies. We are still in the real world.

Reactions: britbox

atttomole

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I don't need to explain anything, you can see for yourself. What's that saying? Oh ya Seeing is believing.

You have also seen the WC that has just ended and you saw what Mbappe did to Argentina, Uruguay and Croatia in the final. Somehow you think that this video is the most impressive we have ever seen. Enjoy your world of fantasy.

monfed

Major Winner
Reactions
Your problem is that you want to tell us that your favorite players should have won a WC because you like them. You can list other top players who could not win WC's, so there is no need to be parochial. Germany scored in the final and Argentina did not, which is how the match went. But Messi should have won it even though Argentina did not score. You are somehow diminishing Germany, a very strong team. France scored 4 goals and Croatia scored 2, but because you like Modric, that should not have happened. Do not allow yourself to be controlled by fantasies. We are still in the real world.

Your problem is that you don't want to accept what the majority of the world wanted and that is to see Croatia and Modric succeed because a small nation would've finally won a WC playing QUALITY football after god knows how many years. It would've been a legendary story. Instead, you have France winning playing power football who nobody will care or remember years down the line. That's no fun at all, last time it was Germany, this time it was France, next edition it will be someone else. Who the hell cares besides their own countries? It's good for France they won, it's not good for the footballing world itself that they won. Simple as that.

As far as the final goes, France won because of the ref. Nothing else. They got two decisions specially the penalty that completely changed the game in favour of France. After that 2nd goal it was always going to be an uphill climb for Croatia even when they were dominating for the first 60 mins of the match.

monfed

Major Winner
Reactions
You have also seen the WC that has just ended and you saw what Mbappe did to Argentina, Uruguay and Croatia in the final. Somehow you think that this video is the most impressive we have ever seen. Enjoy your world of fantasy.

Mbappe hasn't done shit anywhere in the league of what Zidane did for France in 06. If Mbappe was put in that squad of 06, they don't even make it past the group stage. Feel free to live under a rock but dont expect others to follow you into darkness.

atttomole

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Mbappe hasn't done shit anywhere in the league of what Zidane did for France in 06. If Mbappe was put in that squad of 06, they don't even make it past the group stage. Feel free to live under a rock but dont expect others to follow you into darkness.
OK.

monfed

Major Winner
Reactions
I think we both appeared to be a bit harsh, and for me it was about the facts.

It's purely my opinion and I'm not saying that I'm right or wrong. I feel Mbappe is a livewire, powerful player obviously but I'm not sure he could marshall a side like a captain around him. Ofcourse he's only 19 so it's hard to say but I don't think he has as much vision or trickery as Zidane had or a Messi has and that was needed in 2006 because the french side in 06 were quite poor. Zidane was playing the central role like Modric was for Croatia, but even more cause Ribery was average and Henry didn't really do a whole lot in 06 by his standards.

Infact it's funny you mention Pirlo because I think he could fit into that role too actually with his playmaking and passing ability.

But yes I really enjoy watching a beautiful player like Zizou/Pirlo/Figo/Modric carrying their side to glory without much help from their squad. It's what I live for in football.

monfed

Major Winner
Reactions
It's interesting that Zidane hasn't commented on this WC win yet.

monfed

Major Winner
Reactions
Argentina were so unlucky in this WC. They drew France and Croatia so early, one in the group stage and the other in the knockout stages. And then they go ahead in the France game only to get an unreal goal from Pavard? That's just height of bad luck.

I don't wish for a lot of luck but if you have such bad luck where a guy like Pavard scores a goal like that out of the blue then there's nothing you can do.

monfed

Major Winner
Reactions
For all the criticism that Argentina received, they're the only team in the WC that led France at 2-1 before that crazy Pavard strike.