World Cup 2018

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
What a cracking game Portugal/Spain. I feel like the World Cup has well and truly kicked off. Cristiano!!!!!!!

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
going to be a lot of pressure for Messi to match that.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
bwahaha! Messi missed the pen. Cristiano is kicking his behind right now

Another choke job from the great Lionel

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
What a cracking game Portugal/Spain. I feel like the World Cup has well and truly kicked off. Cristiano!!!!!!!
I can't believe that Spain handed Cristiano that opportunity, but he took it with a great shot. And the Spain one before from Nacho was amazing. Great match, bad for Spain to have to walk away with the draw, though. And yes, based on today, Cristiano's bragging rights way up, and Messi's way down.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The World Cup will end up being renamed as "Messi's Bane". I'm sorry, but you've got to do it on the biggest stage of all... and Lionel has been found wanting...
I prefer Messi to Cristiano, but I have to agree. Lionel has some work to do to get that monkey off his back.

Great win by Mexico over Germany yesterday. Many here in the US are embracing them.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
The World Cup will end up being renamed as "Messi's Bane". I'm sorry, but you've got to do it on the biggest stage of all... and Lionel has been found wanting...
I’m waiting for BS to come up with a defence for that epic choke. Best player ever? Do me a favour

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I’m waiting for BS to come up with a defence for that epic choke. Best player ever? Do me a favour
You don't like Messi? Do you have a favorite for Best Ever? (Asking sincerely.)

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
You don't like Messi? Do you have a favorite for Best Ever? (Asking sincerely.)
I love watching Messi play. I just have a realistic appreciation of his place in the pantheon of greats. He’s not shown enough to surpass Diego, Pele, Ronaldo, Zidane or even Beckebauer. There are levels to this. All of his achievements have been with a crop of Spanish greats who have won things without him

Reactions: atttomole

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I love watching Messi play. I just have a realistic appreciation of his place in the pantheon of greats. He’s not shown enough to surpass Diego, Pele, Ronaldo, Zidane or even Beckebauer. There are levels to this. All of his achievements have been with a crop of Spanish greats who have won things without him
Fair enough. I don't really have a deep understanding of the game. I like it, and I mostly just stand at the elbow of friends like you and try to absorb the wisdom. I remember Beckenbauer from back in the day. The others, of course. I particularly liked Zidane. It was too bad the way his career ended. That Italian guy was a putz. I should like Cristiano Ronaldo in theory...since he's Real Madrid. But I can't warm up to the guy. That last goal v Spain was amazing, though. (As was the one just before by Nacho from outside the paint for Spain.) They're idiots for fouling him. Should have won that one. SMH. That's the only match I've watched, so far.

Last edited:

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Fair enough. I don't really have a deep understanding of the game. I like it, and I mostly just stand at the elbow of friends like you and try to absorb the wisdom. I remember Beckenbauer from back in the day. The others, of course. I particularly liked Zidane. It was too bad the way his career ended. That Italian guy was a putz. I should like Cristiano Ronaldo in theory...since he's Real Madrid. But I can't warm up to the guy. That last goal v Spain was amazing, though. (As was the one just before by Nacho from outside the paint for Spain.) They're idiots for fouling him. Should have won that one. SMH. That's the only match I've watched, so far.
That was the match to watch for sure. Say what you like about Cristiano, but he shows up at the big moments. That's all you can ask

Horsa

Equine-loving rhyme-artist
Reactions
I've got 3 questions for all football fans. Just curious to know your thoughts & opinions on these questions.
1. Who do you want to win?
2. Realistically who do you think is going to win?
3. Brazil has won the World Cup more times than other countries. Do you think they're going to win again?

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I'm rooting for Spain and Mexico. Also, I'll root for England because I think a fair number of people will want them to win. I don't really know who's supposed to win.

Reactions: Horsa

Horsa

Reactions
I'm rooting for Spain and Mexico. Also, I'll root for England because I think a fair number of people will want them to win. I don't really know who's supposed to win.
Since you joined in & answered my questions I'll tell you what I think, I want Scotland, Ireland or England to win. Scotland & Ireland 1st because I feel more connected to my roots & I'm genealogically more Scots/Irish than English. Realistically I don't know but as Brazil have won most often I'll go for Brazil. As for answer #3 I'll say yes Brazil will probably win again. Thank you very much for your response.

Last edited:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I'd root for Ireland and Scotland. I'm only just starting to pay attention. It's a whole month. Gotta pace myself. :D

Horsa

Reactions
I'd root for Ireland and Scotland. I'm only just starting to pay attention. It's a whole month. Gotta pace myself. :D
Good idea! You're a very busy woman I must say. :0) Sorry for typed emojis. If I use the custom smilies my P.C. plays up.

Reactions: Moxie

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
I'm guessing you're not aware that neither Ireland or Scotland qualified? :D