World Cup 2018

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I'm guessing you're not aware that neither Ireland or Scotland qualified? :D
That's what I thought, esp. based on your picture above. But when Ann said she's root for them, I thought I'd missed something. (Where is the *blushing* emoticon.) I've only just skimmed the groups. Anyway, I did say I haven't studied up yet. :) Who are you rooting for? Who is getting picked to win?

I'm still going to root for Ireland and Scotland. :lol6:

Horsa

Equine-loving rhyme-artist
Reactions
That's what I thought, esp. based on your picture above. But when Ann said she's root for them, I thought I'd missed something. (Where is the *blushing* emoticon.) I've only just skimmed the groups. Anyway, I did say I haven't studied up yet. :) Who are you rooting for? Who is getting picked to win?

I meant that's what I normally do, Moxie. I'm very sorry. I just don't watch much T.V. & only read local newspapers now. :0)

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I meant that's what I normally do, Moxie. I'm very sorry. I just don't watch much T.V. & only read local newspapers now. :0)
Not your fault. I'm cool. I did say I was only just catching up to speed. I'm nobody's expert on football, by a long stretch. I just like it, and the World Cup is a good excuse to enjoy it in one lump. Or, as we refer to it here in the US: an excuse for daytime drinking. :lulz2:

Horsa

Reactions
Not your fault. I'm cool. I did say I was only just catching up to speed. I'm nobody's expert on football, by a long stretch. I just like it, and the World Cup is a good excuse to enjoy it in one lump. Or, as we refer to it here in the US: an excuse for daytime drinking. :lulz2:
Me neither. I just come up with the questions & heard somewhere about Brazil winning the World Cup more often than anyone else. I just appear to pick things up from out of nowhere & hatch on to them not always realising where I pick things up from. Why not indeed? I don't & can't blame you. I'm partial to the odd sweet & fruity white or rose wine, sangria, mixed spirit or cocktail myself. Lol. It's a good way of de-stressing, forgetting your troubles & it tastes nice.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions

England, Nigeria, Senegal (I really want an African team to win) I can imagine few things that would piss Putin off more. I think either France or Brazil will win. But if they keep their heads I could easily Belgium doing it

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
England, Nigeria, Senegal (I really want an African team to win) I can imagine few things that would piss Putin off more. I think either France or Brazil will win. But if they keep their heads I could easily Belgium doing it
Excellent choices and good intel. I'll admit that, which I'm pulling for Mexico in large part because they are North America's team, and various other sentimental reasons involving friends, part of me does think it would piss off Trump if Mexico won, so we're on the same page with the bit of political agenda. ;-):

Reactions: Federberg

Horsa

Reactions
Excellent choices and good intel. I'll admit that, which I'm pulling for Mexico in large part because they are North America's team, and various other sentimental reasons involving friends, part of me does think it would piss off Trump if Mexico won, so we're on the same page with the bit of political agenda. ;-):
Huh? I thought Mexico was in South America.

atttomole

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
bwahaha! Messi missed the pen. Cristiano is kicking his behind right now

Another choke job from the great Lionel
Too much pressure on him. I think people should stop comparing him to Maradona. They always want to talk about how Messi has dragged the team, reminiscent of what Maradona did, but its clearly not the same. To that, add comparisons with Cristiano, and it becomes a Calvary for Messi. Its not fair to Messi. Messi can still turn things around in the next few matches though. He has only played one game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Moxie

atttomole

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
You don't like Messi? Do you have a favorite for Best Ever? (Asking sincerely.)
Messi is still not yet the best ever, but he has the same level of skills as the players that are in the conversation. He still falls short for reasons that have already been mentioned.

atttomole

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I would like Brazil to win the World Cup so that they can increase the gap between themselves and Germany/Italy. If not, I will take Spain because of their free-flowing football.

Last edited:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I could only watch the first half of Spain v. Iran today, but Iran were blocking them mightily. 1-0 Spain, in the end, but that shouldn't have been so scary, should it? And Cristiano hit some kind of scoring record today, I guess. He certainly is clutch.

Here's a question for those who know things: How do they decide how much stoppage time to put on at the end of a half/match? It seems a little random, to me, and then sometimes they go over.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
I could only watch the first half of Spain v. Iran today, but Iran were blocking them mightily. 1-0 Spain, in the end, but that shouldn't have been so scary, should it? And Cristiano hit some kind of scoring record today, I guess. He certainly is clutch.

Here's a question for those who know things: How do they decide how much stoppage time to put on at the end of a half/match? It seems a little random, to me, and then sometimes they go over.
The referee keeps note of any stops each half (particularly injury related) and a few minutes before the end of the half they'll collate any time wasted which gets added to the half as "injury time". It's not random, but sometimes the amount of injury time can be controversial

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
I'm watching Argentina v Croatia. Tell you one thing I'm not seeing. The best player ever..

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I'm thinking that conversation may be over. Now Croatia 2-0. I'm surprised...should I be?

atttomole

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Unbelievable. Argentina are now playing with virtually no midfield, and Croatia are having a field day in the middle of the pitch.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
I'm thinking that conversation may be over. Now Croatia 2-0. I'm surprised...should I be?
you shouldn't. Croatia have a good team. Argentina barely qualified. The only reason anyone pays them any mind is because of Messi