Rolex Paris Masters, Bercy, France - ATP Masters 1000

Status
Not open for further replies.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
That’s it, he’s adapting to everything so fast. It seems like yesterday he was a spoilt infant during his loss to Ruud in Paris in June, but back again in Paris in November we see him able to handle any player with the same ferocious will that he showed in the final game yesterday. He’s a work in progress, as they say, but he’s also proof that players don’t get what they want if they wait long enough - he’s busting down the door and barging his even slightly older peers outta the way. I’d say he’s a fast learner, and along with FAA, Sinner, and young Charlie at the top, it’s going to be very interesting season next year, let alone how the future looks…
Sounds like Kieran you feel that the playing field have been leveled. Is the ATP finally like the NFL, Any given Sunday?

Reactions: Kieran

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
It’s definitely blue volatile,
Sounds like Kieran you feel that the playing field have been leveled. Is the ATP finally like the NFL, Any given Sunday?
It’s definitely more volatile, isn’t it? We’ve 7 different winners of the 8 MS titles, 3 different winners in the slams, couple of teens in the top 10. Alcaraz, Ruud and Kyrgios were in their first slam finals. It’s more unpredictable than it has been in years. The real next step is that next year they nudge the old timers out in all the slams…

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
That’s it, he’s adapting to everything so fast. It seems like yesterday he was a spoilt infant during his loss to Ruud in Paris in June, but back again in Paris in November we see him able to handle any player with the same ferocious will that he showed in the final game yesterday. He’s a work in progress, as they say, but he’s also proof that players don’t get what they want if they wait long enough - he’s busting down the door and barging his even slightly older peers outta the way. I’d say he’s a fast learner, and along with FAA, Sinner, and young Charlie at the top, it’s going to be very interesting season next year, let alone how the future looks…

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: Moxie and Kieran

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
It’s definitely blue volatile,

It’s definitely more volatile, isn’t it? We’ve 7 different winners of the 8 MS titles, 3 different winners in the slams, couple of teens in the top 10. Alcaraz, Ruud and Kyrgios were in their first slam finals. It’s more unpredictable than it has been in years. The real next step is that next year they nudge the old timers out in all the slams…
Someone mentioned Darth name, @kskate2 maybe you can check our Brotha especially since Aaron Rodgers and the Pack are having the worst season in 12 or 15 years. Do we need a Go Fund me to locate Darth? Jajaja

Last edited:

roberto

Futures Player
Reactions
Good one! I think this match is a little bit in the category of time marches on. I don't know if you saw the match, but Novak played an impeccable first set, and Rune had some nerves (DFs that cost him his serve and the set.) But then Djokovic dipped a bit in the 2nd, something he is more inclined to do than he used to be, including against Tsitsipas yesterday. But for Stefanos not sealing the deal, he wouldn't have even been in this final. In the game where Rune was serving for the match, which went over 10 minutes, Rune was very lucky to get let off the hook at least a couple of times by Novak. It took Rune that long to settle his nerves and close it out. I don't think it takes a tennis genius to say that, had Novak gotten it to a tie-break, there may well have been a different outcome. I think these are the small chinks that come with age. Not to take anything away from Rune...fantastic win for him. But there is a lot of painting Novak as the ageless one, and he's just not. It's little wobbles here and there. Dips in form. Nerves, because the stakes are high. The Top 3 are not going to go out with a bang, but by increments.
I agreed with everything you said UNTIL you did what you (and others) like to do: equate Rafa and Novak at this point in their careers. Novak is in better shape physically than Rafa, and therefore has a better shot at the big titles (other than the French).....

Reactions: Fiero425

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I agreed with everything you said UNTIL you did what you (and others) like to do: equate Rafa and Novak at this point in their careers. Novak is in better shape physically than Rafa, and therefore has a better shot at the big titles (other than the French).....
I didn't mean especially physically. I was talking more about the mental sinks and stresses that come with the closing of windows. Most people don't that think Roger would have failed to close out the 2019 Wimbledon final had he been younger and not felt like it was his last shot. I could go on, but you know the moments from all 3 in the later years when the nerves come in. Though there are more physical dents in the armor, too, and don't think that Novak is immune to them. It doesn't have to be full-on injury, just the wear and tear. Novak had the trainer out in that match. Recovery is slower, etc. At 35, age IS a factor.

Last edited:

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Outside of a round robin, was Holger Rune the first ATP player to best 5 consecutive top 10 opponents
(Hurcaz, Rublev, Alcaraz, FAA, & Djokovic.)
in consecutive days?

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Don't know the answer to that, but here's a crazy statistic. Going back to the the first match of Sofia, Rune has gone 19-2, or 15-1 since Stockholm.

His Paris run is just insane: Wawrinka, Hurkacz, Rublev, Alcaraz, FAA, Djokovic. I know Stan isn't the Stan of five years ago and Alcaraz retired, but still.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
If
Don't know the answer to that, but here's a crazy statistic. Going back to the the first match of Sofia, Rune has gone 19-2, or 15-1 since Stockholm.

His Paris run is just insane: Wawrinka, Hurkacz, Rublev, Alcaraz, FAA, Djokovic. I know Stan isn't the Stan of five years ago and Alcaraz retired, but still.
I know this isn't going to be "liked" but what Rune did in Paris was to me more impressive than Carlos Alcarez's victory at USO.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Carlos won 3 five set matches in a row in New York, it’s a slam, I think it’s the second greatest achievement of the season after Rafa’s in Oz…
I agree. And factor in what they were playing for in the final (a slam title and the #1 ranking) adds more significance. What Holger did is impressive, but that's not an apples to apples comparison.

Reactions: Moxie and Fiero425

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I found this online... :face-with-hand-over-mouth: Will Rune completely push Djokovic off the ship next year? To be continued. :popcorn

t468cn9stny91.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Ellentonboy

TheSicilian

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
It's true that in all sports an unusual leap in form is reason for suspicion, especially later-career. I know you're not talking specifically about Novak, but I will repeat a point I have made before: often, when I have made the point that Rafa beat Novak in the final at the USO in 2010, some people like to say, "well, that wasn't Novak 2.0 yet." My answer to that is that he WAS Novak 2.0 just 4.5 months later, so you can't have it both ways, or you are implying something you don't want to. As far as I can see, Novak beat Roger on the Saturday, but wasn't quite there to beat Rafa the next day. But a lot of the rest of 2010 went into consolidating his belief/confidence/game.
Interesting. People who say that are probably just trying to downplay Nadal's achievement. As it's a ridiculous argument as Nadal beat Djokovic in 2013 final too. I see a lot in sports football especially or soccer ;) Some individual players or teams transform extremely quickly it's hard to not ask questions. Take a look at this site it's mainly football but near the bottom New Balls Please about tennis is quite an interesting few paragraphs. https://backpagefootball.com/sure-theyre-all-at-it-are-you-entertained-part-2/127087/

Reactions: Kieran

TheSicilian

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
He had ages off tour to work on timing and sharpness. No, Rune is very suss and mostly cos he works with Mouratoglou.
Rune made the QF at RG this year beating some top players, he also took a set of Djokovic last year, he is a good player, but I don't think he is suspicious yet.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
“Ages off tour” only ages an ageing player even more…

So ridiculous! Novak loses 1 match since Wimbledon and he's considered ancient or "aging off the tour!" RIdiculous! He won 3 Majors last season! Those idiots on TCC keep referencing The Laver Cup matches which is even more ridiculous of them as they played on the tour! The LC is little more than a glorified exhibition! It just shouldn't count in the H2H! I seem to remember Novak losing 2 LC matches in 2018 after his huge comeback! He went on on to collect 7 majors since then! This shortened season might even be rejuvenating for all we know after such a tough 2021 being a match from a CYGS and defeat at the Olympics! :fearful-face: :yawningface::thinking-face::face-with-hand-over-mouth:

Status
Not open for further replies.