Rogers Cup 2023, Montreal, Canada - WTA 1000

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
So I can't see Elena recovering physically enough to be able to beat Luidmila who she has a losing record against anyway. So likely it's Jess/Sam in in the final. And that will be a very competitive match that I'm afraid to call a winner.
BTW TC called that match between Elina and Daria QF as the Match of the Year, lol! Keli you and I apparently were watching a different match

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
@the AntiPusher Where in my post don't I give Jess credit? I said she rushed her and gave different looks. It was an effective gameplan. How is that not giving credit Monsieur?
No no my Post wasn't directed at you. I was just saying I know Jess gets a beating in general because she hasn't won the big one or possibly made a slam final..

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Jess needed this win for her to remain the US number 1.She can feel Coco breathing down her neck..lol..let the games begin.I think Coco's win in DC triggered her.I hope they have a pleasant competition...

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Rybakina v Samsonova SF cancelled due to the weather? hopefully tomorrow the rain will have gone, either one of these 2 players will have to double up

Rybakina v Samsonova will play their SF at 1.30pm tomorrow
The final will be at 5.30pm........
Hopefully the weather behaves itself for tomorrow

Last edited:
Reactions: AnonymousFan

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Rybakina v Samsonova SF cancelled due to the weather? hopefully tomorrow the rain will have gone, either one of these 2 players will have to double up

Rybakina v Samsonova will play their SF at 1.30pm tomorrow
The final will be at 5.30pm........
Hopefully the weather behaves itself for tomorrow
All of this because they split these SF matches. Dumbest idea ever. One is played in the day and the other at night guaranteeing that even if the weather is perfect, one opponent will have more rest and an advantage vs the other. These SF's should be played back-to-back, even more so if rain is expected

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
All of this because they split these SF matches. Dumbest idea ever. One is played in the day and the other at night guaranteeing that even if the weather is perfect, one opponent will have more rest and an advantage vs the other. These SF's should be played back-to-back, even more so if rain is expected
Agree, both SF should have been played back to back? another brain fail, considering the weather has been bad all week in Montreal.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
No way Elina can win the title. She will be jaded for sure

Reactions: kskate2 and tossip

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
No way Elina can win the title. She will be jaded for sure
Well she was jaded in her QF match, she got sucked into playing Daria's game, too many UFE and her serve went missing, she was confused what shots she should have played, Samsonova is my pick to win, her game suits the HCs she took out Saba and then came back to win another match the same day and defeated the Swiss Miss

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Just a Thought,
I suppose the 'powers to be' in Montreal never considered having the final on Monday to be fairer to players? though they would not get the fans in, not being on a week end and the fans would not be happy if that happened, and would probably want a refund on their tickets, then again it could rain again :)

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Well she was jaded in her QF match, she got sucked into playing Daria's game, too many UFE and her serve went missing, she was confused what shots she should have played, Samsonova is my pick to win, her game suits the HCs she took out Saba and then came back to win another match the same day and defeated the Swiss Miss
No no MM there's only one Swiss Miss my Hingis <3..

tented

Administrator
Reactions
IMG_3541.jpeg

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Elena and Luidmila on court, doing warm up.
Elena has a tape on her shoulder, she did have a MTO, in one of her previous matches, probably just precautionary.

Last edited:

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Why didn't they start as say 11.30..this is not fair on Rybakina or Samsonova.I hope that it's not a three setter.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
This match could be over in straight sets, as Elena has come out in this match, playing well, and very efficient she leads 4-1,

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Elena serving for the 1st set 5-1
Samsonova not handling the pace of ball of Elena at all so far in this match, also too many UFE from Luidmila which didnt help her cause
First set to Elena 61 with her foot on the gas in just 28 mins!

Last edited:

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Well ..she is struggling to hold serve.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Well ..she is struggling to hold serve.
Yep, maybe it is the shoulder giving her yips, in the 1st set she had no problem holding serve, though Samsonova has picked up her play not making the UFE she did in the 1st set, and has settled into this match now

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Well this match will go 3 sets now as Samsonova won the 2nd set 61, she has settled into the match, making less UFE than the 1st set, maybe a case of nerves, though Elena's serve has gone AWOL, she seemed to 'hit a wall'.

Last edited: