11. Maria Sakkari
12. Elena Rybakina
13. Ons Jabeur
14. Karolina Muchova
15. Coco Gauff
16. Madison Keys

cc2-copy.jpg

The Tournament:

The Canadian Open, also known as the Canada Masters, and currently branded as the National Bank Open, is an annual tennis tournament held in Canada. The second-oldest tournament in all of tennis (behind only Wimbledon), the men's competition is a Masters 1000 event on the ATP Tour, and the women's competition is a WTA 1000 tournament on the WTA Tour. The competition is played on outdoor hard courts.

Prior to 2011, they were held during separate weeks in the July–August period; now the two competitions are held during the same week in August. The events alternate from year to year between the cities of Montreal and Toronto. Since 2021 in even-numbered years the men's tournament is held in Montreal, while the women's tournament is held in Toronto, and vice versa in odd-numbered years. The Toronto tournament is held at the Aviva Centre and the Montreal tournament is held at the IGA Stadium.

About Montreal:

Montreal, officially Montréal, is the most populous municipality in the Canadian province of Quebec and the second-most populous municipality in Canada. Originally founded in 1642 as Ville-Marie, or "City of Mary", it is named after Mount Royal, the triple-peaked hill in the heart of the city. The city is centred on the Island of Montreal, which took its name from the same source as the city, and a few much smaller peripheral islands, the largest of which is Île Bizard. It has a distinct four-season continental climate with warm to hot summers and cold, snowy winters.

In 2016, the city had a population of 1,704,694, with a population of 1,942,247 in the urban agglomeration, including all of the other municipalities on the Island of Montreal. The broader metropolitan area had a population of 4,098,247. French is the city's official language and is the language spoken at home by 49.8% of the population of the city, followed by English at 22.8% and 18.3% other languages (in the 2016 census, not including multi-language responses). In the larger Montreal Census Metropolitan Area, 65.8% of the population speaks French at home, compared to 15.3% who speak English. The agglomeration Montreal is one of the most bilingual cities in Quebec and Canada, with over 59% of the population able to speak both English and French. Montreal is the second largest primarily French-speaking city in the developed world, after Paris. It is situated 196 km (122 mi) north-east of the national capital Ottawa, and 258 km (160 mi) south-west of the provincial capital Quebec City.

Montreal_Montage_2020.jpg

Tourism Guide:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Projected Q/Finals ( if the seeds hold up)

Sabalenka (1) vs Azarenka (8)
Karolina Pliskova (4) vs Muguruza (5)
Kvitova (7) vs Svitolina (3_
Halep (6) vs Andreescu (2)

Reactions: AnonymousFan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Elise Mertens and Aryna Sabalenka have reunited for Montreal in doubles.Sabalenka confirms their occasional pairings are still one-offs.She still does not want to play doubles at Slams but with Hsieh not in Montreal,wanted to help Mertens prepare for the US Open.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Hope Bianca can rediscover herself in this tourney.
I was thinking the same when I filled out my draw. Hopefully the home country advantage can pull her along, too.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I was thinking the same when I filled out my draw. Hopefully the home country advantage can pull her along, too.
Bianca is trialing a new coach at present Sven Gorenefeld long time coach of Maria Sharapova,I am interested to see what he can bring to her game,Bianca said she has already seen improvement....main issue with Bianca is her body,which seems to fall apart.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Bianca is trialing a new coach at present Sven Gorenefeld long time coach of Maria Sharapova,I am interested to see what he can bring to her game,Bianca said she has already seen improvement....main issue with Bianca is her body,which seems to fall apart.
That is an interesting match-up, and I'm glad it's a help, but I agree that the issue is her body. I'm hoping she's healthy and ready to do well at home. It could be the boost she needs.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I am disappointed that Leylah lost in straight sets (although they were competitive) to a player ranked 100 spots below her.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Fernandez had a upper thigh problem and had to take a MTO in her match,if anyone was watching.I was not surprised she lost.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Bianca Andreescu plays tomorrow against Dart (Q) who defeated WC Fernandez
Azarenka who rolled her ankle in practice at the Citi Open Invitational and withdrew is playing Cirstea,will not be an easy match
Pegula vs Kontaveit
Stephens (WC) vs Yastremeska.

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Katerina Siniakova ( doubles partner of Barbora Krejcikova) takes out the 5th seed Garbine Muguruza in 3 sets 62 06 63.
Siniakova has had 2 Top 10 wins so far this season (Muguruza,S.Williams).

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Good win from Azarenka 62 62 over Cirstea.....movement was good,glad to see her ankle held up well in the match

Reactions: Moxie

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Some of the Top remaining seeds are on court tomorrow,

Top seed Sabalenka vs Sloane Stephens (AP will be interested in this match up,considering Madison went out in her opening match yesterday).

Simona Halep (6) returns to tennis after a three month injury break,where she is up against Danielle Collins who has won back to back WTA titles.

Fresh from her Bronze Medal at the Tokyo Olympics Elina Svitolina (3) takes on Johanna Konta.

Karolina Pliskova (4) vs Donna Vekic.

Last edited: