Nitto ATP Finals 2022, Turin, Italy

roberto

Futures Player
Reactions
Well as far as I am concerned when a player takes the court he is well enough to play
Well enough to play is not the same as being in top form. Novak clearly was not playing his "A" game most of the week. He was doubled over at times. Dizzy. Arm shaking during changeovers. Yes "well enough to play" but not "himself". ....

Reactions: Fiero425

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Well enough to play is not the same as being in top form. Novak clearly was not playing his "A" game most of the week. He was doubled over at times. Dizzy. Arm shaking during changeovers. Yes "well enough to play" but not "himself". ....
Well he was asked many times what was wrong by journalists and he didnt want to reveal, saying his team knew what he was going through, still even when he was having these shaking, dizzy moments, he went on to win, he did inhale during one match in a break

Reactions: TheSicilian

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Agreed. Let's not pretend that players don't try to press on through when not 100%. Margaret is putting off the idea of excuse if you lose, I think, but Novak won, so it's not an excuse, just a curiosity. As Tennis Channel pointed out, Novak is the guy who has been fit enough to win 9 times in the Australian summer heat, 9 times. Torino is indoors and played in late autumn. And best of 3. Something was off with him.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Casper Ruud, today after his match,
"Technically I'm not perfect at all. Many things I can improve technically.But my base as a tennis player has improved a lot this year.But there are many things I can improve, shots that I dont feel comfortable hitting, especially maybe moving forward, coming to the net.But in my mind I still believe that I can play better tennis than what I have done this year ".

Reactions: kskate2 and Moxie

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
We have to remember Ruud is only 23 and has time to improve area's in his game, one thing I would like him to have if possible is more of a 'killer instinct' as a player, apart from his bhand which needs improvement ASAP and his transition game to the net

Andy22

Major Winner
Reactions
Congratulations Djokovic getting record 6th atp finals title and now has double the big indoor hardcourts compared to Federer 12>6.

Two of Federer atp finals titles was outdoors by the way.

I officially call Djokovic the indoor Goat of tennis it's only fair.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
When Ruud lost to rafa, i don’t remember the dissappointment in his playing from people being dissappointed in today’s performance. :) do i sense djoker hating?

Ruud is a class act, genuinely nice guy, not fake. I hope he breaks through.. he just doesn’t seem to have the athleticism and weapons to match the very elite consistently so will be tough

Novak, what can i say. I admire him more and more as time goes by. He keeps setting the bar higher and higher with his unparalleled discipline, dedication to his craft. He is an inspiration. They way he persevered this year, against evil forces. He was used as a political pawn by governments, attacked by political correct/speech police mob.. he was banned from many major masters titles/slams for not good reason other than he believes he doesn’t need vaccine. He was never a danger to anyone and now everyone realizes he was right. With all these forces against him, he was able to get 5 titles, including 1 slam and eoy cup. He ends the year as arguably the best and will go down as goat, no doubt in my mind. Djokovic is an indomitable force and not only the greatest to ever play but as a person, sets the bar high as-well. He is the epitome of work ethic, dedication, perseverance, courage and IMO sets a better standard than even rafa or roger. The latter play it safe and do as everyone tells them to do, novak shows us to stay true to your beliefs and have the courage to stay the course, it always pays off.
You make him sound like a character in a soap opera. If you recite that long propaganda spiel in the accent of Dot Cotton in EastEnders, with maybe the world’s tiniest violin playing in the background, well - to quote Oscar Wilde - you’d have to have a heart of stone not to laugh…

• Haha
Reactions: kskate2 and Moxie

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
We have to remember Ruud is only 23 and has time to improve area's in his game, one thing I would like him to have if possible is more of a 'killer instinct' as a player, apart from his bhand which needs improvement ASAP and his transition game to the net
I like Ruud. Probably my favorite of this generation. He is disciplined and good at what he does, but he lacks the athleticism of many of the players he’s beating. I’m sure he will continue to improve, but his ceiling is a little lower than some of the other guys out there.
Very disappointing from Ruud. I hope he goes home and adds someone to his team to get him some fight and grit in his game. His dad isn’t cutting it with just the baseline tactics. He can only get away with that if he has both a forehand and backhand.
You guys do realize that Ruud is lacking the athleticism of most of his peers? He is disciplined. His strokes are good. His footwork is excellent. His work ethic is better than his peers and that’s why he’s doing as well as he is. But his athleticism at 23 isn’t able to match Novak’s at 35. Zverev, Rublev, Medvedev, FAA, Rune are more naturally gifted than he is. Developing more of a killer instinct isn’t going to make up for his lack of foot speed. After Novak, Ruud is my favorite player on tour… I am 110% for him., but he’s got limitations that aren’t going to go away.

Reactions: Moxie and Fiero425

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I like Ruud. Probably my favorite of this generation. He is disciplined and good at what he does, but he lacks the athleticism of many of the players he’s beating. I’m sure he will continue to improve, but his ceiling is a little lower than some of the other guys out there.

You guys do realize that Ruud is lacking the athleticism of most of his peers? He is disciplined. His strokes are good. His footwork is excellent. His work ethic is better than his peers and that’s why he’s doing as well as he is. But his athleticism at 23 isn’t able to match Novak’s at 35. Zverev, Rublev, Medvedev, FAA, Rune are more naturally gifted than he is. Developing more of a killer instinct isn’t going to make up for his lack of foot speed. After Novak, Ruud is my favorite player on tour… I am 110% for him., but he’s got limitations that aren’t going to go away.
Hi Nehmeth good to see you posting again,

If you watch Ruud on his bhand wing he slices the ball at times in returns to neutralize the rally? though he can improve his bhand wing, players expose it, especially in the last big majors, RG,USO and Novak at the end of year finals, he needs to improve it, because I feel without the improvement he will not win major tournaments going forward.

Reactions: AnonymousFan

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

This is my sense as well - re: his limited upside, but a disciplined style and overall solid game that will lead to a very high floor and consistency. In a way he's like the anti-Kyrgios.

When I look at Ruud, I see a guy who is frequently going to be in the second week at Slams, win a bunch of lesser titles and maybe a big title or two, but he just doesn't "wow me" like some of those other young guys you mention (and I would add Alcaraz and Tsitsipas as clearly more naturally gifted).

Ruud may end up with a better career than guys like Rublev, Berretini, Hurkacz, etc - players with big weapons, but a less well-rounded game. He might even win a Slam, but he probably needs to face someone like Tsitsipas or Zverev in the final, and hope their head-case nature takes over.

Ten years from now, we may look back at him as this era's Michael Chang.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
This is my sense as well - re: his limited upside, but a disciplined style and overall solid game that will lead to a very high floor and consistency. In a way he's like the anti-Kyrgios.

When I look at Ruud, I see a guy who is frequently going to be in the second week at Slams, win a bunch of lesser titles and maybe a big title or two, but he just doesn't "wow me" like some of those other young guys you mention (and I would add Alcaraz and Tsitsipas as clearly more naturally gifted).

Ruud may end up with a better career than guys like Rublev, Berretini, Hurkacz, etc - players with big weapons, but a less well-rounded game. He might even win a Slam, but he probably needs to face someone like Tsitsipas or Zverev in the final, and hope their head-case nature takes over.

Ten years from now, we may look back at him as this era's Michael Chang.
The ‘anti-kyrgios’… I couldn’t think of a better way to describe Ruud. I didn’t intend to leave the other two out, I was just giving a general idea. The only thing I would disagree with you on - I think he could be this era’s Ferrer. Chang was too often injured.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
If you watch Ruud on his bhand wing he slices the ball at times in returns to neutralize the rally? though he can improve his bhand wing, players expose it, especially in the last big majors, RG,USO and Novak at the end of year finals, he needs to improve it, because I feel without the improvement he will not win major tournaments going forward.
That’s not going to compensate for his lack of foot speed. And I would venture to say, that it’s because of his lack of foot speed he finds himself in those situations where he’s using the defensive slice. When he has time to get to the shot, his backhand is solid and clean with no hitch in his stroke.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
From watching the matches, I would venture to say his blood sugar was low and whoever was responsible for putting his drinks and snacks together did something wrong, or Novak wasn’t eating enough of what he needed… in my opinion. He stepped on the court to play and he was fit to play. He found a way to win while not playing his best tennis; that’s what great players do.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
That’s not going to compensate for his lack of foot speed. And I would venture to say, that it’s because of his lack of foot speed he finds himself in those situations where he’s using the defensive slice. When he has time to get to the shot, his backhand is solid and clean with no hitch in his stroke.
as you pointed out it is his lack of foot speed on his bh wing, still it is his weakest side, players attack it with ease, win points, it does break down,I still feel at age 23 he can improve it.

Last edited:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
From watching the matches, I would venture to say his blood sugar was low and whoever was responsible for putting his drinks and snacks together did something wrong, or Novak wasn’t eating enough of what he needed… in my opinion. He stepped on the court to play and he was fit to play. He found a way to win while not playing his best tennis; that’s what great players do.
Does that really seem plausible to you? For a guy so careful about his diet, and considering it happened over the course of a couple of days? Doesn't seem more like an illness?

• Wow
Reactions: TheSicilian

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions

Easily fixed:D

gloved-hand-holding-medical-syringe-animated-clipart.gif
beep-roadrunner.gif