Nitto ATP Finals 2022, Turin, Italy

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Djokovic is wrestling the WTF title from five years in a row of one Lost Gen (Dimitrov) and four Next Genners (Zverev, Tsitsipas, Medvedev, Zverev).

He's by far the oldest WTF champion. In fact, only Roger in 2011 won it as a 30 year old.
I thought they said Ashe was a couple of months older when he won it.

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Ashe won the WCT Finals, not the ATP Tour Finals. So I guess it counts, but it was the final for the WCT not ATP overall.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Ashe won the WCT Finals, not the ATP Tour Finals. So I guess it counts, but it was the final for the WCT not ATP overall.
OK, fair. I just cribbed off of what they said on Tennis Channel, so they counted it.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Actually Ashe didn’t win it that year. I thought he was the oldest to get to the final which he lost to Mac

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Moxie

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
I thought they said Ashe was a couple of months older when he won it.

Ashe was the oldest finalist dropping his match to John McEnroe! AA probably should have won, but inexplicably kept trying to lob over McEnroe's head after winning the 1st set resulting in smashes that ended the point! Arthur had come back from heart surgury which made it amazing he got to the final, but as a senior player depended on dropshots and lobs to defeat his opponents! :thinking-face: :yawningface::fearful-face::zippermouthface:

Reactions: Kieran

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Arthur Ashe won the WCT in 1975 as El Dude mentioned, which I think TC alluded to him being the oldest man to win
John Mac did defeat Ashe in 1978 in the Tour final

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
But even then, Ashe turned 32 in 1975. He was 35 in 1978, when he lost to young Mac.
I am now confused to what TC was alluding to then, they said Ashe was a couple months older than Novak., making him the oldest player to win

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I am now confused to what TC was alluding to then, they said Ashe was a couple months older than Novak., making him the oldest player to win
It was during the match, so maybe I wasn't listening closely enough...they may have only been talking about as finalist, since the match wasn't over.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
When Ruud lost to rafa, i don’t remember the dissappointment in his playing from people being dissappointed in today’s performance. :) do i sense djoker hating?

Ruud is a class act, genuinely nice guy, not fake. I hope he breaks through.. he just doesn’t seem to have the athleticism and weapons to match the very elite consistently so will be tough
If you'd been around, you would have seen that people said much the same even prior to today's match.
Novak, what can i say. I admire him more and more as time goes by. He keeps setting the bar higher and higher with his unparalleled discipline, dedication to his craft. He is an inspiration. They way he persevered this year, against evil forces. He was used as a political pawn by governments, attacked by political correct/speech police mob.. he was banned from many major masters titles/slams for not good reason other than he believes he doesn’t need vaccine. He was never a danger to anyone and now everyone realizes he was right. With all these forces against him, he was able to get 5 titles, including 1 slam and eoy cup. He ends the year as arguably the best and will go down as goat, no doubt in my mind. Djokovic is an indomitable force and not only the greatest to ever play but as a person, sets the bar high as-well. He is the epitome of work ethic, dedication, perseverance, courage and IMO sets a better standard than even rafa or roger. The latter play it safe and do as everyone tells them to do, novak shows us to stay true to your beliefs and have the courage to stay the course, it always pays off.
Well, then, why don't you stay around and defend him, if you're so offended by those who aren't as enamored of him? You show up to gloat when he wins, complain about the bans, then scupper away when you're wrong, say, when Rafa beat him at Roland Garros.

He is a beast, and a great tennis player. IMO, though, you overplay the extent to which he has been a "victim" over the past year. "Evil forces?" This isn't a sci-fi movie or a video game. Nations don't make their policies just to screw up Novak's tennis career.

Reactions: kskate2

roberto

Futures Player
Reactions
I'd be curious if anyone hears what Novak was suffering from. As the commentators pointed out, his arm was shaking during an early changeover in the first set, similar to what we saw during the Medvedev match. And some dizziness/shortness of breath. When Tennis Channel asked him after the match he said: "Well every player always has something going on whether it's physical or mental, so I don't really want to talk about it." Not to take anything away from his performance beating 5 youngsters during the week, even though he only had his B game going most of the time....

Reactions: Fiero425

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I'd be curious if anyone hears what Novak was suffering from. As the commentators pointed out, his arm was shaking during an early changeover in the first set, similar to what we saw during the Medvedev match. And some dizziness/shortness of breath. When Tennis Channel asked him after the match he said: "Well every player always has something going on whether it's physical or mental, so I don't really want to talk about it." Not to take anything away from his performance beating 5 youngsters during the week, even though he only had his B game going most of the time....
Like you said, he took out the field with his B-game, and was clearly suffering from something, but I doubt we'll ever know. It's one thing to be hampered by a physical niggle, but he did seem to be unwell. Certainly his camp was concerned, early on, until he seemed to play himself past it. TC showed him warming up with gloves on. And he wore some kind of compression shrug under his shirt today. Was it cold in Torino? Well, he's got his title, and he has time to recover before January.

Reactions: Fiero425