NFL Pick n Pass 2018/2019 Season

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
OT or not this sport is becoming unwatchable. Offenses are too easy and the refs/rules are such a huge factor. They decided the Saints game and had an absolutely ridiculous personal foul call at a huge moment in the 4th.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
OT or not this sport is becoming unwatchable. Offenses are too easy and the refs/rules are such a huge factor. They decided the Saints game and had an absolutely ridiculous personal foul call at a huge moment in the 4th.
Good thing I hardly ever watch anymore, then.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
And right on cue, awful defense gets shredded in 3 minutes to end the game. You breath on the QB you can get a game changing penalty. Weak league, weak games. This league will be gone within 30 years

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Good thing I hardly ever watch anymore, then.

Yes, you aren't missing much. American sports, mainly bball and football put too much emphasis on easy offense. Football the problem is you can't touch a receiver and you can't touch a QB. It is now cake for decent offenses.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Yes, you aren't missing much. American sports, mainly bball and football put too much emphasis on easy offense. Football the problem is you can't touch a receiver and you can't touch a QB. It is now cake for decent offenses.

That's for sure. You can't sneeze near a QB these days. Some of these personal fouls and roughing the passer calls are ridiculous.

Reactions: DarthFed

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
That's for sure. You can't sneeze near a QB these days. Some of these personal fouls and roughing the passer calls are ridiculous.

Man it isn't the game I grew up loving more than any other. The basketball offense revolution feels more skill-based or less forced than the NFL. And with the more recent findings of CTE it is understandable that they have to protect the players but the result is simply an inferior product that is too often being decided by refs.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The "PC" effect on professional football? You guys are being wistful for the NFL of old where men were men, and they sucked up head injuries, right?

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The "PC" effect on professional football? You guys are being wistful for the NFL of old where men were men, and they sucked up head injuries, right?
EDIT: Ok I see you already mentioned CTEs.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Man it isn't the game I grew up loving more than any other. The basketball offense revolution feels more skill-based or less forced than the NFL. And with the more recent findings of CTE it is understandable that they have to protect the players but the result is simply an inferior product that is too often being decided by refs.

I think there has to be some pushback in the offseason on revisiting some of the rules and guidelines with the Quarterback Endangered Species rules. I've seen countless plays this season where a defender made a perfectly legitimate tackle but didn't even roll away in the right direction. When they did away with the 3 step rule, that was as far as it should have gone. Before then, some QBs were getting purposefully drilled when the play was basically gone. Now it's insanely stupid and it's not being applied consistently in any event (even by the same officials).

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Not really... the NFL has made adjustments for the good in many areas, but it will always be a collision sport, there is no getting away from that... but the changes they've made for the passer in particular have swung the pendulum so far the other way, it can get almost ridiculous.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Not really... the NFL has made adjustments for the good in many areas, but it will always be a collision sport, there is no getting away from that... but the changes they've made for the passer in particular have swung the pendulum so far the other way, it can get almost ridiculous.
Right, but they are trying to deal with the fact that they are a collision sport, and the consequences of it. They may not have it right yet, but if they don't deal, they'll die. They're losing fans because of what they see from the effects of head injuries. Like some of the changes in tennis, it's a WIP.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions

I know you think I'm being hyperbolic but I do think the NFL is in a slow but terminal decline. And no it isn't Trump or Kaepernick, it is mostly about CTE which is greatly affecting the rules and of course is affecting current participation among youth. Talented explosive athletes will likely turn to basketball or other sports going forward.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I know you think I'm being hyperbolic but I do think the NFL is in a slow but terminal decline. And no it isn't Trump or Kaspernick, it is mostly about CTE which is greatly affecting the rules and of course is affecting current participation among youth. Talented explosive athletes will likely turn to basketball or other sports going forward.
Actually, I don't think you are at all being hyperbolic. Part of it is by their own hand. They buried the results of head injuries for years, and people are unhappy. No one wants their kids to play football growing up. Unless they change the rules to at least make it look like they're trying to protect the players, they will lose viewers. To survive, it may well not be the sport that you loved growing up, in order to go forward. I say this with all dispassion.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Actually, I don't think you are at all being hyperbolic. Part of it is by their own hand. They buried the results of head injuries for years, and people are unhappy. No one wants their kids to play football growing up. Unless they change the rules to at least make it look like they're trying to protect the players, they will lose viewers. To survive, it may well not be the sport that you loved growing up, in order to go forward. I say this with all dispassion.

Ironically, the play Darth was calling earlier was a helmet to helmet pass personal foul that wasn't called (at least that's the one I think he was talking about) - now that should be called... and the NFL have made changes in that respect... the one I'm talking about are the ones brought in to specifically protect a quarterback (they really have gone too far with this one)

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
when you have a HoFer like Favre saying he's not sure he wants his kids to play NFL given this whole CTE thing you know there's a serious problem. I'm actually starting to wonder if players wearing helmets aren't actually part of the problem. These players leading with their heads... wouldn't happen in a real mans sport like rugby :D

Reactions: Moxie and DarthFed

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Ironically, the play Darth was calling earlier was a helmet to helmet pass personal foul that wasn't called (at least that's the one I think he was talking about) - now that should be called... and the NFL have made changes in that respect... the one I'm talking about are the ones brought in to specifically protect a quarterback (they really have gone too far with this one)

Yes that is the one. It wasn't just a clear personal foul it was also blatant pass interference. I didn't have a dog in the fight but I feel terrible for Saints fans as that is obviously one of the worst calls in NFL history given the stakes and time of the play. It was basically game over if they called that right.

Reactions: Moxie

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Brady.

The GOAT.

Mind you he wasn’t perfect; that 1st pick was atrocious,but no one else comes close to being THE clutch player when the stakes are the highest.

As soon as the coin toss was made for OT and Pats elected to receive , it seemed everyone sensed “ game over.”

3 for 3 on 3rd and long in overtime, he’s crazy amazing.

Last edited:

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
I'm not sure why anyone thought the Chiefs would win yesterday. I knew early on this year they'd go nowhere with that defense. And then Hunt happened and they looked average without him. Still think it was an idiotic decision to dump him, he'd have been suspended this year and back the next. You don't get rid of NFL superstars for family values, this ain't a church league.

Interesting decision with Reid. I'm sure they'll keep him but this guy has been around almost 20 years and never goes anywhere in the playoffs. 1 SB appearance (a loss). I'd consider a new coach.