NBA Draft/Offseason

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
I guess it was time for Timmy to hang them up. From all accounts he is a great person and a great teammate. And a great player. I guess he doesn't get enough credit because he is a soft spoken person, but he was as competitive as they come.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Sad day. With both him and Kobe gone it is truly the end of an era. I think Duncan knew after this postseason that he was done. There was nothing left to give. Seen as boring by most but there is no question that he is one of the all-time greats.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
He was a tremendous player. He simply didn't have the flare and personality that some basketball fans prefer but he was one of the best there's been and he had been around forever. With Duncan and Kobe gone it really is the end of an era (the first post-Jordan mega superstars are all retired or pretty much done).

I'd rank him near the back end of the top 10 all-time near Kobe and Shaq. It really is a tough tough list, it can be argued many ways. I'm not even sure where to place Lebron now.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
I'd put him in top 5 probably over Wilt. The top 5 before this Finals IMO was definitely MJ and then Kareem, Magic, Russell, and Wilt in some order. I had Lebron #6 before the finals, Bird #7, Big O #8, and then practically a 3 way tie between Shaq, Kobe, and Duncan.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
^That fits in with what I've heard from others. Some now saying that Lebron is definitely top 3 after this championship.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
^didn't he get 2 in Miami and now this one? So 3...

I think the argument is that he's been in so many finals now, and looks likely to be in quite a few more before he's done

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Yeah, but how can 3 rings propel you into the Top 3 of all time? other than a "what did you do for me today" argument?

No way should LeBron be above Larry Bird, Magic, Kareem, Wilt, Bill Russell...

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
^don't shoot the messenger. The argument is that because of him, any team he's in, is a virtual lock to get to at least the finals. And they make the point that he has as many rings as Jordan did at the same age, but has been in more finals

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Yeah, but how can 3 rings propel you into the Top 3 of all time? other than a "what did you do for me today" argument?

No way should LeBron be above Larry Bird, Magic, Kareem, Wilt, Bill Russell...

Bird has 3 rings and Wilt has just 2. There is no legit argument to put Bird ahead of him anymore. Lebron already has more longevity and more accolades. Wilt is still debatable because he was the most dominating force ever. Ridiculous video game numbers even if it was awhile ago but it didn't translate into many championships.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
^don't shoot the messenger. The argument is that because of him, any team he's in, is a virtual lock to get to at least the finals. And they make the point that he has as many rings as Jordan did at the same age, but has been in more finals

I will say that it is a lot easier for him because he does play in the East but even in a weak conference it is amazing just how much impact he has when he joins a team and the impact he has when he leaves a team.

In team sports it can't all be about rings when judging players but it is undoubtedly a big thing no question. If we go off rings then Russell is #1 and will be probably until the end of time, and then you'd also have Kobe, Shaq and Duncan ahead of Bird and Lebron.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
^That fits in with what I've heard from others. Some now saying that Lebron is definitely top 3 after this championship.

ESPN actually had him #3 all time in the middle of the season which was absolutely absurd. Now there is at least an argument though I wouldn't place him top 3. If he wins another ring I'd probably put him #3 behind MJ and Kareem.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
ESPN actually had him #3 all time in the middle of the season which was absolutely absurd. Now there is at least an argument though I wouldn't place him top 3. If he wins another ring I'd probably put him #3 behind MJ and Kareem.
That makes sense. Re: Wilt weren't the hoops lower then. I heard it all changed because of him. The Tiger effect maybe

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
I don't think the hoops were lower but there was no offensive goaltending back then and they changed that rule because of him. They also widened the lanes and also prohibited players from shooting free throws and crossing the lane before the ball hit the rim. Apparently he used to dunk a lot off his own free throw misses.

Reactions: Federberg

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
I don't think the hoops were lower but there was no offensive goaltending back then and they changed that rule because of him. They also widened the lanes and also prohibited players from shooting free throws and crossing the lane before the ball hit the rim. Apparently he used to dunk a lot off his own free throw misses.

Very interesting thanks. I've only started to pay more attention to the NBA in the last few years

Reactions: DarthFed

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
So Durant ended up with the Warriors... anyone surprised?

I see they were booing him last week at the Staples Center when the USA were playing China in a pre-Olympic warm-up. Was that because the Clippers were in for him?

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
So Durant ended up with the Warriors... anyone surprised?

I see they were booing him last week at the Staples Center when the USA were playing China in a pre-Olympic warm-up. Was that because the Clippers were in for him?

I thought for sure he would leave town but I was not expecting him to join the Warriors (the team he just lost to in the conference finals, and a team that has the current two-time MVP). After they lost to the Warriors I figured he might go out East in the offseason to a team like Washington or Boston.

I think the LA fans were booing him because he "sold out" and created a mega superteam by joining the Warriors. Lebron got a ton of hate after going to Miami in 2010 and it's going to happen to KD for at least a year or two.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Westbrook signed a 3 year deal today with OKC. I'm actually a little surprised he resigned there, I had figured he'd be gone after next season. One thing to note though is that there is no guarantee he would've stayed long-term had Durant resigned. On top of the fact they really didn't always see eye-to-eye I think Westbrook is happy to have "his own team" now.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Bulls deal the Butler to Minny for a reunion w/ Thibs. Bulls get slam dunk champ Zach Levine, P.G. Kris Dunn and a draft pick.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Fiero425 Other Sports 0
J Other Sports 31
J Other Sports 6
kskate2 Other Sports 144
Murat Baslamisli Other Sports 3