SURFACE: HARD
PRIZE MONEY: $7,972,535
FIELD SIZE: 96
DEFENDING CHAMPION: Roger Federer

miami.jpeg

Seeds:

TBA

The Tournament:

The Miami Open is an annual tennis tournament for men and women held, since 1985, in Key Biscayne, Florida. It is an ATP World Tour Masters 1000 event on the men's tour and a Premier Mandatory event on the women's tour.

The court has been criticized as the slowest hardcourt on the tour, subjecting players to endless grinding rallies in extreme heat and humidity. Src: Wiki

About Miami:

Miami is a major port in the southeastern US, and a leader in finance, commerce, culture, media, entertainment, the arts, and international trade. In 2008, Forbes magazine ranked Miami "America's Cleanest City", for its year-round good air quality, vast green spaces, clean drinking water, clean streets, and citywide recycling programs. Miami was ranked as the richest city in the United States and is also called the "Capital of Latin America."

AE_Carousel_2016_Miami_Open.jpg

images-1.jpeg

79bc61910df09581e33fe876efc13ab8.jpeg

Tourism video:

Attachments

• Unknown.jpeg
    Unknown.jpeg
    8 KB · Views: 249
Last edited:
Reactions: mrzz and britbox

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I expect Fed to go second here. I believe normally, they give the choice for the #1 seeded player. If so, Fed's first match will be on Saturday, giving him 5 days gap for recovering.

p.s. Main draw matches start in Miami on Wednesday (unlike in IW where it starts on Thursday).

Chris Koziarz

Masters Champion
Reactions
I expect Fed to go second here. I believe normally, they give the choice for the #1 seeded player
I'm not as familiar with this tourney or with ATP scheduling to understand it. What is "go second" and what "choice" do they give to #1 player? If too basic for you to explain can you at least point me to the APT or Miami M1000 rule book?
Thanks.

10isfan

Major Winner
Reactions
I'm not as familiar with this tourney or with ATP scheduling to understand it. What is "go second" and what "choice" do they give to #1 player? If too basic for you to explain can you at least point me to the APT or Miami M1000 rule book?
Thanks.
The tournament is giving Fed the choice of playing on day 1 or 2. He is likely to choose day 2 to get an extra day of rest. This mean his half of the draw will play on day 2, and the other half will play on day 1.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
The tournament is giving Fed the choice of playing on day 1 or 2. He is likely to choose day 2 to get an extra day of rest. This mean his half of the draw will play on day 2, and the other half will play on day 1.

..and the two different halves of the draw keep playing on alternate days until the semis.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
..and the two different halves of the draw keep playing on alternate days until the semis.

No. They play on alternate day for the first 3 rounds. (Wed through Mon)

Then everybody plays the 4th round the sameday. (Tue)

Then QFs on two days. (Wed, Thursday)

Then immediately after that both SF on same day (Friday).

Final on Sunday after a day of rest.

p.s. The only difference between schedules of IW and M is the day of rest between SF and F.
M is able to give this break as they start the main draw matches a day earlier than IW.

Last edited:
Reactions: mrzz

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Not sure whether going first or second is advantageous for Fed.

If you go 2nd, need to play twice on consecutive days (3R&4R, QF&SF).

If you got 1st, need to play only once on consecutive days (4R&QF).

I think the best strategy for Fed will be to wait for the draw and if his first match (2R match) is
not expected to be tricky, he might be better off choosing to go first again in view of the above.

Andy22

Major Winner
Reactions
Federer still be favorite for this event, even with he's choke today.:lulz2::suicide:

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Federer still be favorite for this event, even with he's choke today.:lulz2::suicide:
Roger is the favorite, because of his results the last year as well as this year. Nothing has changed with today's loss.

Andy22

Major Winner
Reactions
Just read a story about Nadal, being on painkillers since 2005 this make that done, in he's career even more amazing, its that's could have led to some of his losses.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
IMO, Federer's best tournament in 2017 was IW, which he played after losing to Donskoy having match points. Halle was also one of his best tournaments, same case (just lost to Haas having a MP). So I expect Federer to have a very good Miami tournament (last year he only played well in the final). I also expect Cilic to rebound and play well, and del Potro to keep his form. Let's see about Coric and Chung, they might be the new threats to the establishment. If they do well again as soon as Miami, they're for real already.

Reactions: The_Grand_Slam

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Chung is for real already regardless. He is ranked #4 in the 2018 race, he brought it in both 2 big events this year.

Reactions: Moxie and mrzz