Miami Open, ATP Masters 2018

10isfan

Major Winner
Reactions
What’s the rule regarding ranking points? If someone plays 30 tournaments in one year, do all his points count or just the best 18 or whatever tournaments?

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
What’s the rule regarding ranking points? If someone plays 30 tournaments in one year, do all his points count or just the best 18 or whatever tournaments?

Not all events will count, if a player surpasses a certain number.
I think the 500 events are countable up to 4 in total and the 250 events are capped as well.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
The draw is out .

Here are the projected R16 matched ups.

Fed vs. PCB
Berdych vs. Anderson
Sasha vs. Fog
Querry vs. Sock
JMDP vs. Novak
Shortman vs. Grigor
Goffin vs. RBA
Isner vs. Cilic

Roger has a reasonable draw. After a qualifier, Roger faces Verdasco in round 3. Kyrgios and Nishikori are coming back from injury break in Miami. To compensate Thiem is sitting out.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10isfan

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions

Ranking is based on 18 tournaments. 4GS and 8 MM (mandatory masters) are fixed and included. Then, the best six results from all other tournaments are included.

For those who qualify for WTF, the points earned there is added as a bonus.

Reactions: 10isfan and Moxie

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
God punished Delpotro for beating Fed. :D

He has the toughest draw in Miami.

R2: Sugita
R3: Nishikori
R4: Djokovic
QF: Grigor
SF: Cilic
F for Federer

p.s. Surprised not to see discussion of cupcake draws for your antis vs. tough draws for your favs.

Reactions: Chris Koziarz

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
So Djokovic has decided to play. I wonder if that's wise. Well, he needs the match play, if the elbow is ok.

10isfan

Major Winner
Reactions
Will Djoke survive long enough to meet Potro?
I’m not sure why the rush to play when he has barely recovered from the surgery.

Let’s see if Kyrgios is healthy in mind and body. He desperately needs a stabilizing force in his life.

Reactions: Moxie

atttomole

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
God punished Delpotro for beating Fed. :D

He has the toughest draw in Miami.

R2: Sugita
R3: Nishikori
R4: Djokovic
QF: Grigor
SF: Cilic
F for Federer

p.s. Surprised not to see discussion of cupcake draws for your antis vs. tough draws for your favs.
I think he beats the two samurais. Not sure if Djokovic is a threat yet, while Grigor and Cilic could be tough. Cilic does not usually do well on slower surfaces.

Andy22

Major Winner
Reactions
I think raonic, potro will not go as far this week potro looked really tried after match We will see.

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
poor Delpo, what a difficult draw....hope he still has some gas in the tank

Chris Koziarz

Masters Champion
Reactions
poor Delpo, what a difficult draw....hope he still has some gas in the tank
Delpo has been more unlucky than this throughout his career (injuries) so he's tough and able to take it mentally. Yet physically as you said, "gas in tank" or a risk of injury reoccurance is real.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Delpo has been more unlucky than this throughout his career (injuries) so he's tough and able to take it mentally. Yet physically as you said, "gas in tank" or a risk of injury reoccurance is real.
My difficulty in placing him in my draw was "gas in tank," as @isabelle says. It's worth remembering that he also won Acapulco before IW. I hope we don't have to keep worrying about injury. He seems pretty fit. I think all of the draws are difficult. I'm not assuming Roger is going to be fresh-as-a-daisy, either. I think Coric is ready to break out. Chung. My draw challenge is a mess, and I keep changing it. :popcorn

Chris Koziarz

Masters Champion
Reactions
My draw challenge is a mess, and I keep changing it
I wonder how long you can change it for... Until the moment a given match started, or the whole round becomes non-editable past a certain time (e.g. when the first match of said round started)?
And if your favourite player you expected to go deep, loses early, what happens with the rest of your draw? Can you change the later rounds in your draw challenge as the tourney progresses?

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I wonder how long you can change it for... Until the moment a given match started, or the whole round becomes non-editable past a certain time (e.g. when the first match of said round started)?
And if your favourite player you expected to go deep, loses early, what happens with the rest of your draw? Can you change the later rounds in your draw challenge as the tourney progresses?

I don't run the draw challenge and so my reply is not official. My belief is that you cannot edit any part of the draw challenge once the first ball of the main draw is struck. The organizers will confirm that later for you.

Reactions: Moxie

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Not sure whether going first or second is advantageous for Fed.

If you go 2nd, need to play twice on consecutive days (3R&4R, QF&SF).

If you got 1st, need to play only once on consecutive days (4R&QF).

I think the best strategy for Fed will be to wait for the draw and if his first match (2R match) is
not expected to be tricky, he might be better off choosing to go first again in view of the above.

Fed decided to go second. Fed will play only on Saturday. Not sure that it is a good choice considering
this would involve him playing twice on consecutive days.

Chris Koziarz

Masters Champion
Reactions
Fed decided to go second. Fed will play only on Saturday. Not sure that it is a good choice considering
this would involve him playing twice on consecutive days.
How about his kids annoyed him on going to Disneyworld on Friday and would not relent until he agreed? Then it's not Fed who decided so but his kids:)

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
You have until the tournament starts to change your picks. Some 10 hours now. After that, your choices are fixed. If you pick someone to go deep and they lose early, well, you're screwed. Then you'll be like the rest of us...captives to fortune. But do play!