Federer's Schedule 2018

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Are you sure? That's not been announced even on his website. I believe he said he would let everyone know this week

ftan

Masters Champion
Reactions
Another comment about Indian Wells is that it’s better to go during the week if you can. The first weekend is a madhouse. There are so many people that you can’t see much because there’s a line at each court. The second weekend isn’t great either because almost everyone has been ousted. I go to watch the fourth round.
thanks a lot 10isfan for your inputs, i will definitely take all these into consideration, right now exhibition looks more of a possibility, as its where i live, so no overnight living costs and no need to take leave from work. Sigh, but I do want to see Fed in real action

Last edited:

10isfan

Major Winner
Reactions
SAP is a very nice venue. I used to go before the tournament got moved. You’ll enjoy going to that and walking away feeling like you know Fed better. He does have a genuine, fun-loving, likable personality.

Reactions: ftan

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
see entry list, Grigor is top seed, no Mr Vavrinec around this year

That is old news. His name is not on entry list because his contract expired and he did not renegotiate a new one in time.
The only thing this means is that he would need a wild card to play in Dubai, which they would be happy to give.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Hope Fed decides to play Rotterdam, Dubai & IW and decides to skip Miami.

The only thing that we know for sure at this time is that he will be playing IW. Rotterdam, Dubai, Miami all are up in the air.
But, it is safe to say that no other pre-clay tourney is under consideration.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Actually, early this year (but before AO), talked about his schedule . In that he says, he definitely will be playing
in AO, IW, M, Halle, Wimbledon, USO, Shanghai, Basel and WTF. So, we know 9 of his tourneys.

He says, he will consider skipping Dubai as well as Stuttgart as his contract has expired in both these places.

Also, without going into details, he merely mentions North America as warm up to USO. So, it looks like he has not ruled out
Canada, contrary to popular thinking (including mine).

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
This is what I hope he plays: AO, Dubai, IW, Miami, Rome, Roland Garros, Halle, Wimbledon, Cincinnati, USO, Shanghai, Basel, World Tour Finals.

That's 13, plus Hopman and Laver. One more than 2017, switching out Stuttgart and Canada for Rome, RG, and Cincinnati.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
OK, makes sense. When I heard he was playing Rotterdam I thought it meant he'd play two of Dubai, IW, and Miami.

That said, what if he doesn't get #1 at Rotterdam? I bet he'll play Dubai.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
OK, makes sense. When I heard he was playing Rotterdam I thought it meant he'd play two of Dubai, IW, and Miami.

That said, what if he doesn't get #1 at Rotterdam? I bet he'll play Dubai.

I am very sure, he will play Dubai in that case. Also, that would definitely mean he will skip Miami (unless of course he had decided to skip the clay season completely).

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
stange to see him play Rotterdam, I thought he was tired after AO and needed more rest before IW

Busted

Major Winner
Reactions
stange to see him play Rotterdam, I thought he was tired after AO and needed more rest before IW

The story I read said he practiced for a couple of days and decided he was good to go. If he wins Rotterdam he'll have a month before IW. He's got a Match For Africa XO on March 5 in San Jose (against Jack Sock) but he should be fresh for IW - especially if he skips Dubai.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
The story I read said he practiced for a couple of days and decided he was good to go. If he wins Rotterdam he'll have a month before IW. He's got a Match For Africa XO on March 5 in San Jose (against Jack Sock) but he should be fresh for IW - especially if he skips Dubai.

Nope. Exactly two weeks.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
In a presser in Rotterdam, Fed has said that he is considering playing on clay this year. As expected, he has clearly said, even if he plays it will be a light schedule on clay.

I would say that if Fed skips Miami, he will definitely be playing in clay. If he does not skip, it is hard to predict.

Of course, if #1 does not happen in Rotterdam, he will definitely play in Dubai and IW. In that case, he will be forced to skip Miami as he won't be feeling up to it. In that case, play on clay seems almost sure to happen.

If #1 happens in Rotterdam, it looks highly likely that he will skip Dubai and play both IW and M.
In that case, clay will be 50/50 proposition.

To summarize, here are my estimation of Fed's chances of playing some clay based on
his pre-clay hard court season play. First column lists the tourneys that he plays before the
clay season and the second column gives the chances of he playing some clay.

1. Rotterdam, Dubai, IW, Miami. ----------------- 0% chance of playing in clay
2. Rotterdam, Dubai, IW ---------------- 75% chance.
3. Rotterdam, IW and M ---------------- 50% chance.
4. Rotterdam and IW only ---------------- 100% chance.

Last edited:
Reactions: Moxie

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Fed in an interview to Guardian (just before Rotterdam start).

“I guess by being here now, and maybe being in Dubai, it’s just going to have to be lighter if I play the clay-court season. Or not at all. So I just have to get into this situation a little bit, because the priority is for me to try to defend my sunshine double in Indian Wells and Miami. So, then we’ll see what happens with the clay, what happens next.”

So, Fed is clearly planning on playing both IW and M. Most probably he will skip Dubai, especially if he manages to reach #1 in the next couple of days.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Fed on Olympics 2020:

So, would he aim at the Olympics, where he has yet to win a gold medal in singles, one of the few baubles to elude him? “It’s not like with Rio [in 2016], where it was really something I set myself as a goal,” he said.

“If I’m still playing, great. But I’m not saying I have to play one more [Olympics] before I retire. If it happens, then it makes sense for me to go play, but it’s too far away. I don’t know what happens then. We’ll see if it works and makes sense. I haven’t put it on the table. It’s not a discussion point, let’s put it that way. When the time is right, I’ll talk about it – and see how I feel in that year. When is it? 2020? It’s so far away. There’s no point to discuss it. Why not – it would be nice ... but I can’t tell you for sure, or not for sure.”