Federer's Schedule 2018

Ricardo

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Hello everyone. Long time no see. As you can imagine, I watched barely any tennis in last six months or so, but I know Federer and Nadal shared pretty much everything most important. But all the good things have to come to end. Now Nole is coming back and assuming he is healed and in good form, Nadal will be injured and Federer will be old again.

As i can imagine, you basically just watch your idol....but i know, if he doesn't come back and win quickly you'll just go away and ignore the sport. But hey nobody will stop you!

Reactions: Puppet Master

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I just don't get fans who only care about their favorite. To me it is always tennis first, Federer (or whomever) a distant second.

Shivashish Sarkar

Major Winner
Reactions
Hopman Cup
AO
Dubai
IW
Halle
Wimbledon
Cincy
USO
Shanghai
Basel
WTF

That seems doable for me. He'll eye good success rate again and not world no. 1. idk tho

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Hello everyone. Long time no see. As you can imagine, I watched barely any tennis in last six months or so, but I know Federer and Nadal shared pretty much everything most important. But all the good things have to come to end. Now Nole is coming back and assuming he is healed and in good form, Nadal will be injured and Federer will be old again.

Interestingly, Fed is the only player who gets old and then gets younger and then gets old again. :lulz2:

Reactions: Moxie and Mastoor

Busted

Major Winner
Reactions
I would imagine Roger's schedule will be the same as this year - minus Toronto\Montreal but with Cincy. And if he doesn't repeat at the AO, IW and Miami then I think he'll play at least 1 clay Masters and RG (for the ranking points just to stay in the Top 4) and skip Stuttgart -

AO
Dubai
IW
Miami
Rome
RG
Halle
Wimbledon
Cincy
US Open
Laver Cup
Shanghai
Basel
WTF - even with a limited schedule I can't imagine he won't be in the Top 8

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
In an interview SFR Sport, Federer has opened up on his Grand slam schedule & drop a huge hit that he may opt out of French Open again when discussing the major tournaments he will base his 2018 around.

“Australian Open, Wimbledon and US Open are cornerstones, everything which lies between we’ll take it from there,” said Federer, per The Express. “We’ll only step on court if we are 100% fit.”

The move seems to be a well-calculated step from the Swiss maestro, who seems to be more keen on focusing on the tournaments where his chances of success are higher.

Like Federer, Nadal also enjoyed a resurgent 2017 and is so dominant in France. So as disappointing as it is to hear an all-time great may have played his last match at the French Open, if the rewards are witnessing the Swiss star prolong his playing career elsewhere on the circuit, it is surely worth it.

“I currently intend to continue to play for a longer period, hopefully for a few more years,” he added.

“I doubt though, it will be another 10 years.”

Shivashish Sarkar

Major Winner
Reactions
Has he explicitly dismissed his chances of playing FO though? I doubt. But, most probably he'll skip the FO. But, surely it has some benefits.

No defeat by Rafa and hence losing confidence
No unnecessary injury on clay
Faster-courts-based-game remains unaffected.

Last edited:

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I don't think he'll ever play Roland Garros again.

Puppet Master

Masters Champion
Reactions

Anything can happen if Istomin isn't in his section of the draw...

Reactions: GameSetAndMath

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Apparently, Federer ha signed on (or close to signing on) to play in an exhibition tournament in Mexico in 2018. Fed has never played in Mexico before and they want to see him. Unfortunately, Acapulco tournament happens in the same week as Dubai tournament where Fed usually plays in that week (not sure as to whether Fed is contractually prohibited from playing elsewhere in that week by the Dubai tournament; I know that with Halle he has a lifetime contract and Halle prohibits him from playing elsewhere that week, although he is allowed to skip it for injury reasons). So, this exhibition match will happen either just before or just after the Dubai Tourney. Needless to say, there will be a huge sum of money given to Fed for playing in this exhibition match although they have not released the figures. It is also not known as to who will be the opponent.

Busted

Major Winner
Reactions
Apparently, Federer ha signed on (or close to signing on) to play in an exhibition tournament in Mexico in 2018. Fed has never played in Mexico before and they want to see him. Unfortunately, Acapulco tournament happens in the same week as Dubai tournament where Fed usually plays in that week (not sure as to whether Fed is contractually prohibited from playing elsewhere in that week by the Dubai tournament; I know that with Halle he has a lifetime contract and Halle prohibits him from playing elsewhere that week, although he is allowed to skip it for injury reasons). So, this exhibition match will happen either just before or just after the Dubai Tourney. Needless to say, there will be a huge sum of money given to Fed for playing in this exhibition match although they have not released the figures. It is also not known as to who will be the opponent.

I saw this story that other day but it didn't say that it was a done deal - just that they were trying to make it happen.. I would assume it's something Federer will use for a fundraiser for his foundation - the way he did in Seattle this year - and NOT for simply for a big payday. He risks his body every time he does an XO so it seems to me like if he does them these days it's for charity. I would think he'd want this scheduled after IW and Miami - not before. Especially if he skips the clay season again.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I am expecting that Fed will announce his schedule for the first quarter (early year HC season) by the end of next week.
Dubai and IW will certainly be there in it. Only thing that remains to be seen is whether Rotterdam or Miami will also be there.

Horsa

Equine-loving rhyme-artist
Reactions
I just don't get fans who only care about their favorite. To me it is always tennis first, Federer (or whomever) a distant second.
For me it's my country 1st as I'm patriotic then if they're out may the best man win.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
The entry list for the imminent tourneys are already out as players are generally required to sign up six weeks in advance.
Roger is not in the entry list for Rotterdam (expected) and also for Dubai (unexpected). So, the only way that Roger can play
in either one of these tourneys is by taking a wild card into them. Needless to say, the tourneys will be happy to give a WC to
him and will hold one until the last moment, just in case TMF needs it.

Another interesting option for Fed is to play Rotterdam in lieu of Dubai (apparently his contract with them expired).

ftan

Masters Champion
Reactions
Guys, I am planning to go to Indian Wells. My question is how is the viewing experience from top rows, (if anyone has been there before). The top rows cost like $130+tax for semi final day session, the bottom rows cost $550+
Also, will it b better to be at top row in Indian Wells or a bottom row for Match for Africa fund raiser in San Jose(roger's charity). It costs about $250 for the bottom row there

10isfan

Major Winner
Reactions
Guys, I am planning to go to Indian Wells. My question is how is the viewing experience from top rows, (if anyone has been there before). The top rows cost like $130+tax for semi final day session, the bottom rows cost $550+
Also, will it b better to be at top row in Indian Wells or a bottom row for Match for Africa fund raiser in San Jose(roger's charity). It costs about $250 for the bottom row there
I’ve been to Indian Wells several times. For me, being in the shade is the most important factor. The first year, I paid a lot of money for a first row seat and couldn’t use it. The heat is relentless until sunset. I suggest being farther away so you can sit in the shade of the scoreboard. If going at night, closer is better obviously.

The charity event will be very different from Indian Wells. It will be indoors and an exhibition so you’ll see him relaxed and having fun, probably get a better sense of his personality. I saw the Fed versus Nadal match at Indisn Wells. It was electric watching these two compete.

The bottom line is that nobody can tell you which is better. It comes down to personal preference.

10isfan

Major Winner
Reactions
Another comment about Indian Wells is that it’s better to go during the week if you can. The first weekend is a madhouse. There are so many people that you can’t see much because there’s a line at each court. The second weekend isn’t great either because almost everyone has been ousted. I go to watch the fourth round.