Federer's Schedule 2018

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Funny if there were two players with similar records and yet their Major record was 20-0 versus 20-5, I would take the player who had actually reached more finals.

It's kind of like SF Niner (American football ) fans who argued that Joe Montana was the better QB because he was 4-0 in Super Bowls versus Tom Brady who at that time was 4-2. The counterargument was that Brady played well enough to well 2 more conference championships. Ditto making five more finals is impressive.overall ie winning 5 more Major SF's but again I agree it's subjective.

Once again, you are missing the point. I am not talking about losses in Finals (actually darthfed holds that view, but not me). What I am talking about is the manner of loss, as opposed the round in which it was lost.

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Once again, you are missing the point. I am not talking about losses in Finals (actually darthfed holds that view, but not me). What I am talking about is the manner of loss, as opposed the round in which it was lost.

So you're comparing his record only to himself, correct? IE it does him no good to reach a final if he's going to play, per your POV, in a choking losing style, ie the "manner of loss"? Better to have a 20-0 then lose in 5 more finals with subpar performances.

Not arguing with your POV, Just want to make sure I get it right.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
So you're comparing his record only to himself, correct? IE it does him no good to reach a final if he's going to play, per your POV, in a choking losing style, ie the "manner of loss"? Better to have a 20-0 then lose in 5 more finals with subpar performances.

Not arguing with your POV, Just want to make sure I get it right.

1. Yes, I am comparing his own performances only.

2. I am not fixated on the round in which the loss happens.

3. To put it in a nutshell, I am ok with a loss; Losses happen. But, a choke is a different matter.

If Fed has won 20 and lost 60 slams, where all the losses were normal losses that is better than if Fed had won 20 and lost 60 with 10 of them being chokes. Hope, you understand what I am saying now.

p.s. A byproduct of this is that a Fedfan would not like to call a loss as a choke as a way of "preemptive rationalization" as alleged by Dude.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Forever characterizing it in your own way. How many insults can you pack into one short paragraph? Spin gives Nadal margin. It also makes the ball heavy and hard to handle, especially as he hits the ball very hard. There's nothing unfair about taking the angles away from players that hit flatter and with less margin. It's a calculation, and Nadal isn't the only one to do it. Perhaps the notion of strategy has escaped you, but Nadal is a great strategist and problem solver on the court. And, yes, he has nerves of steel, for the most part. Great concentration, focus, and ability to stay in each point/game/set. It's won him a lot of matches. Tsitsipas said this about Rafa after their final last week: "The patience that Rafa has is amazing. He never cracks. He will always grab you like a bulldog and always will have you — he will always make you suffer on the court." Any number of players have said that the greatest competitor and their least favorite player to play is Nadal. You will not like that, but there it is. And it's not because he hits a loopy, WTA ball short into the court.

Darth hit the nail on the head saying Nadal fans usually have a victim mentality. I'm not talking about EVERY shot he hits but there are an absolute ton of shots in almost every match he plays where he gets tight and starts hitting really lame, slow and soft shots down the middle of the court. Obviously, there's no margin for error on those since they barely hop over the net, which is the polar opposite of a guy going for his shots and missing or hitting them into the net. Nadal hit plenty of that slop against Djokovic at Wimbledon but he also hits those really slow passive balls against everyone else when he's getting his ass kicked. Feel free to think it's great how he keeps the ball in play but it's mostly 'cos he hits the ball so timidly when he gets tight. He keeps hitting cream puffs in the hope his opponent finally makes an error and they often do. It's "great" to your eyes but it's horrible to watch for many of us 'cos it's just like a dog catching a ball.

Yes, Nadal is a good strategist but you need to realize his "Great concentration, focus, and ability to stay in each point/game/set" is mostly down to stalling opponent's play and therefore annoying them to the point that they lose the point and make him look "great" to you. If you've ever watched him on the rare occasions that an umpire had the balls to actually make him adhere to the time between points properly, you'll know he doesn't have anywhere near the same "Great concentration, focus, and ability to stay in each point/game/set" because his "great focus" requires abuse of the time rules. The truth hurts.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Darth hit the nail on the head saying Nadal fans usually have a victim mentality. I'm not talking about EVERY shot he hits but there are an absolute ton of shots in almost every match he plays where he gets tight and starts hitting really lame, slow and soft shots down the middle of the court. Obviously, there's no margin for error on those since they barely hop over the net, which is the polar opposite of a guy going for his shots and missing or hitting them into the net. Nadal hit plenty of that slop against Djokovic at Wimbledon but he also hits those really slow passive balls against everyone else when he's getting his ass kicked. Feel free to think it's great how he keeps the ball in play but it's mostly 'cos he hits the ball so timidly when he gets tight. He keeps hitting cream puffs in the hope his opponent finally makes an error and they often do. It's "great" to your eyes but it's horrible to watch for many of us 'cos it's just like a dog catching a ball.

Yes, Nadal is a good strategist but you need to realize his "Great concentration, focus, and ability to stay in each point/game/set" is mostly down to stalling opponent's play and therefore annoying them to the point that they lose the point and make him look "great" to you. If you've ever watched him on the rare occasions that an umpire had the balls to actually make him adhere to the time between points properly, you'll know he doesn't have anywhere near the same "Great concentration, focus, and ability to stay in each point/game/set" because his "great focus" requires abuse of the time rules. The truth hurts.
In what way is disagreeing with you having a "victim mentality?" And since when has anything you have to say about Nadal ever really even had a hint of truth in it without editorializing, spinning and reiterating all old tropes from over the years? What you write isn't truth, it's just the same old tired and desperate Feddie propoganda. It embarrasses me for you how transparent it is, and repetitive.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
In what way is disagreeing with you having a "victim mentality?" And since when has anything you have to say about Nadal ever really even had a hint of truth in it without editorializing, spinning and reiterating all old tropes from over the years? What you write isn't truth, it's just the same old tired and desperate Feddie propoganda. It embarrasses me for you how transparent it is, and repetitive.

Because what I said is 100% true. When Nadal gets tight (ie. when he's getting his ass kicked) he DOES indeed hit limp, slow, cream puffs down the middle of the court with no pace. You're taking everything negative as an insult to Nadal even though it's true and therefore as fan you're coming across as though you're a victim with every negative comment directed towards him, even the true ones. Look, I'm a Federer fan and he hits a lot of pathetic shanks out of nowhere and drops serve like a baboon to nobodies on a regular basis. I'm saying this as a fan but if you said it I wouldn't take any offense to it as it's TRUE.

The_Grand_Slam

Masters Champion
Reactions
If Federer continues with his patchy form even at US Open, I think it would be a good idea to enter couple more tournaments in the fall.Maybe Tokyo(easier 500) and not skipping Bercy this year.

What do you guys think?

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
If Federer continues with his patchy form even at US Open, I think it would be a good idea to enter couple more tournaments in the fall.Maybe Tokyo(easier 500) and not skipping Bercy this year.

What do you guys think?

No, there is no point going for small fishes for him at this stage. Especially, if he loses (actually even if he wins) at USO, he is not in running for YE #1. Why unnecessarily play in small events getting injured and fatigued. Remember last year, even without playing in small events, he was forced to withdraw from Bercy and lose at WTF just due to accumulated fatigue.

Reactions: The_Grand_Slam

The_Grand_Slam

Masters Champion
Reactions
No, there is no point going for small fishes for him at this stage. Especially, if he loses (actually even if he wins) at USO, he is not in running for YE #1. Why unnecessarily play in small events getting injured and fatigued. Remember last year, even without playing in small events, he was forced to withdraw from Bercy and lose at WTF just due to accumulated fatigue.

Thanks for the reply.
IMHO the long breaks are hurting his rhythm a lot.He netted so many returns today :cry:

Anyway,How do you see remaining part of the year panning out for Federer?
Can he regain form this year ?

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Thanks for the reply.
IMHO the long breaks are hurting his rhythm a lot.He netted so many returns today :cry:

Anyway,How do you see remaining part of the year panning out for Federer?
Can he regain form this year ?

1. Actually, Federer is better than most others in getting to form quickly after long breaks. Look at AO 2017, AO 2018, and Stuttgart as recent examples.

2. Even though Fed did not win Cincy, I still maintain that he made a good decision in not playing back to back Masters Tourneys. Perhaps, Fed should try Washington DC, take a week off and then play Cincy next year as a way of preparing for USO.

3. I am hoping (but not as a realistic expectation) that he wins at least one of USO or WTF. WTF will be very tough as the courts favor Novak. Fed still has some chances at USO, IMO.

4. Fed's ROS was atrocious today. Don't know what to attribute that to though.

The_Grand_Slam

Masters Champion
Reactions
1. Actually, Federer is better than most others in getting to form quickly after long breaks. Look at AO 2017, AO 2018, and Stuttgart as recent examples.

That's true

2. Even though Fed did not win Cincy, I still maintain that he made a good decision in not playing back to back Masters Tourneys. Perhaps, Fed should try Washington DC, take a week off and then play Cincy next year as a way of preparing for USO.

Yeah Toronto-Cincy b2b was not feasible.Even against mediocre competition he couldn't sustain his level in Halle after playing Stuttgart a week before

3. I am hoping (but not as a realistic expectation) that he wins at least one of USO or WTF. WTF will be very tough as the courts favor Novak. Fed still has some chances at USO, IMO.

He needs a favorable draw at USO.Something like Zverev,Thiem,Dimitrov the seeds in his half and Djokovic,Nadal,JMDP in the other.
Wtf obviously will be tough unless someone knocks out Djokovic

4. Fed's ROS was atrocious today. Don't know what to attribute that to though.

Lack of matchplay was my guess