Early Grass Talk - 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael;Kiwi

Futures Player
Reactions
Speaking of thick skulls: Djokovic knows how the seeding works at Wimbledon. He was asked his opinion. Same way Nadal was. They opined. They're neither "whiny" nor stupid. But they have opinions, and they know more about tennis than you do. BTW, I'm still waiting for someone to weigh in on Anderson getting the #4.
Anderson does deserve the number four seed in my opinion. He is way better on grass than Thiem, Zverev and Nishikori. Tsitsipas is a question but he is only disadvantaged because last year he wasn’t nearly as good. Also the difference between Anderson and the others is small. Anderson has also been injured for the last few months and would probably be 4 anyway if he hadn’t been injured. I think all majors should surface adjust.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Okay.. explain how Roger's has 20 titles and be able to defeat the other big for atleast for half of the titles..are you saying Roger's beautiful smooth playing style has given him the edge of Nadal , Murray and Djokervic.. Acourse it's his defense..
Are you Slow or what?

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Here's my two cents? The dangerous player for Novak's title defense may be RBA...An informed and hot RBA knows how to shorten the court against Novak's defense..RBA flat BH to Novak's fH stays low on grass and reduces the margin of error.. The draw is always so fickle like the French fans but a late first week or early 2nd week may be Novak's new Boogie man.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Here's my two cents? The dangerous player for Novak's title defense may be RBA...An informed and hot RBA knows how to shorten the court against Novak's defense..RBA flat BH to Novak's fH stays low on grass and reduces the margin of error.. The draw is always so fickle like the French fans but a late first week or early 2nd week may be Novak's new Boogie man.
This is priceless. First you call me slow, for pointing out idiotic posts you've made. And then you supply an absolute gem.

you heard it here first folks. Roberto Bautista Agut is the threat for Novak's Wimbledon defence!

G
E
N
I
U
S

:cuckoo::help::wacko:

:finger:

Reactions: The_Grand_Slam

monfed

Major Winner
Reactions
dull is always dangerous in the 2nd week that's why the draw needs to be denadalized in the first week, preferably in Round 1.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
This is priceless. First you call me slow, for pointing out idiotic posts you've made. And then you supply an absolute gem.

you heard it here first folks. Roberto Bautista Agut is the threat for Novak's Wimbledon defence!

G
E
N
I
U
S

:cuckoo::help::wacko:

:finger:
that's why I wrote the post..I knew a pure Neanderthal like yourself would ommit the words "may be"...dude you are a pure joke and a real sissy of a poster..please hit the ignore option.."I don't suffer fools like you Glady" ..

Remember what BB famous words, "attack the post not the poster"...

FB, you do not read or comprehend at all..you don't even have the skill of listening..I would suggest , take a few months to a year off.. learn the game of tennis and quit being a fanboy (that's some jackass's words but there's no other euphemism to express the meaning )

Last edited:

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
that's why I wrote the post..I knew a pure Neanderthal like yourself would ommit the words "may be"...dude you are a pure joke and a real sissy of a poster..please hit the ignore option.."I don't suffer fools like you Glady" ..

Remember what BB famous words, "attack the post not the poster"...

FB, you do not read or comprehend at all..you don't even have the skill of listening..I would suggest , take a few months to a year off.. learn the game of tennis and quit being a fanboy (that's some jackass's words but there's no other euphemism to express the meaning )
first you did the ghetto slang thing, now you're pretending to be a tough guy? :lol6: I'll give you this.. you have range. Basically you're claiming an out on anything you write huh? That seems to contradict the conviction you seem so desperate to project. That's ok. Keep at it, I have no doubt you'll eventually believe, but it's quite clear that right now you know you're a sissy that's why you came up with the word. My respect for Freud increases every time I have these types of interaction!

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Whose pre-Wimbledon preparation do you think helps him the most: Roger (playing Halle), Novak (skipping all tune-ups), or Rafa (also skipping all tune-ups)?

Reactions: mrzz

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Whose pre-Wimbledon preparation do you think helps him the most: Roger (playing Halle), Novak (skipping all tune-ups), or Rafa (also skipping all tune-ups)?

It has to be Federer playing Halle. At this point of his career, he needs some sort of rhythm or preparation in order to play well in the Slams.

Djokovic has won Wimbledon before without playing any tune-ups so he is fine

Nadal needed to rest his body after another long and successful Clay court campaign.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
It has to be Federer playing Halle. At this point of his career, he needs some sort of rhythm or preparation in order to play well in the Slams.

Nadal needed to rest his body after another long and successful Clay court campaign.

I agree about Rafa, since he got to the SF last year, under the same circumstances.

If Roger hadn’t played any clay tournaments, as he had been doing, I wouldn’t now be questioning how ready he is to enter another best of 5 tournament, a week after winning a grass court 500 title. He will be 38 in a couple of months, after all. How much can be expected, even from him, at this age, playing 4 events in 1.5 months?

Novak - I’m not sure. On one hand, he showed last year he’s capable of entering and winning with zero grass-court preparation, but on the other, can he be expected to do that again? How much will the RG loss affect his confidence?

Reactions: don_fabio

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Yes, but you're avoiding your own post...he didn't move up to 5...he moved up to 4. That's a big deal.

What do you mean, I am avoiding. I am saying it is a big deal and that is the point of grass formula (to reward players for their performance on grass courts).

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
If Roger hadn’t played any clay tournaments, as he had been doing, I wouldn’t now be questioning how ready he is to enter another best of 5 tournament, a week after winning a grass court 500 title. He will be 38 in a couple of months, after all. How much can be expected, even from him, at this age, playing 4 events in 1.5 months?

Well, for Roger playing in Halle is a mixed bag. On the positive side, he got the #2 seed (and thus also created some meaning in playing in the clay season). On the negative side, he clearly suffered (IMO) from accumulated fatigue (physical/mental) in Halle. Not sure, whether it is right in the balance. Only time will tell.

For both Novak and Rafa, definitely what they did (skipping grass season) is the right thing.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions

Roger doesn't need preparation, especially on grass as he's won Wimbledon multiple times without a warmup. As GSM said, time will tell if it matters. I don't think all the match play the past 1.5 months is any kind of a positive heading into Wimbledon, it is simply not ideal when he is going on 38. Hopefully it doesn't matter, this tournament is potentially life and death for his career. And that should mean no fatigue.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I actually don't necessarily disagree with this. It's worth noting that the purpose of the ranking was less about rewarding form on grass than discerning pedigree. Let's be honest, this is Wimbledon being Wimbledon, the process is an anachronism, but it is known. All players, particularly multiple time Wimbledon winners know it. For me the only issue is the self-serving nature of Rafa's comments, not the substance of the comment itself. It's the 2 yr rankings idea all over again ;)

In a new presser of Ralph reported in Onion he said

"The only thing that does not seem right to me about this is that only Wimbledon requires players to wear white clothes. No other GS does it.

"It has not only happened to me, it has happened to other players. They do not respect the fact that some players have lot of gaudy colorful clothes and want to wear them during the tournament "

Reactions: mrzz and Federberg

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I agree about Rafa, since he got to the SF last year, under the same circumstances.

Novak - I’m not sure. On one hand, he showed last year he’s capable of entering and winning with zero grass-court preparation, but on the other, can he be expected to do that again? How much will the RG loss affect his confidence?

Who is the hungriest of the big3 to win the title? WHo wants this title the most? They all seem to be extremely hungry even though they all have more than 50 slams combined.

Novak wants to defend the title and continue chasing Fed and Rafa. It seems he was hungrier the last year, but he is playing better this year.

Rafa hasn't won a Wimbledon for almost a decade and feels if he wins it he has a very good chance to overcome Fed's slam count. Maybe he is the hungriest of the 3. When was the last time he made 2 slams in a row, 2010? That's a long time ago.

Fed wants another slam to make Rafa's and Novak's life more miserable and prove he is still on top of the game, but also knows that he is vulnerable given the age. He is still very hungry for success and seems like he is putting all the effort in this one. He will probably be a bit deflated for USO this year.

It's really hard to put any money outside of the big 3, but I have a feeling that one of them will be knocked out before semis. Which would mean that 2 other guys will be in the semifinal and that also feels a bit unlikely at the moment, but not impossible. All we know is that all of the big3 are not untouchable, but still very hard to go down if they are motivated like they are at the moment. I guess it depends a lot on the draw, matchups and dangerous opponents who could deliver an upset if they play lights out. I hope to see more young guys making QF or SF. The draw is finally tomorrow, thank god.

Reactions: tented

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Draw ceremony is at 10 a.m. on Friday local time. It is just about 12 hours from now.

I don't really care in which half Ralph falls honestly.

But, I do care as to where Perseus falls.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions

"The only thing that does not seem right to me about this is that only Wimbledon requires players to wear white clothes. No other GS does it.

"It has not only happened to me, it has happened to other players. They do not respect the fact that some players have lot of gaudy colorful clothes and want to wear them during the tournament "
and he added at the end, quietly to a few familiar journalists...

"It is disrespectful they make us wear whites no? How can we pick our butts properly? We have to do it....suavemente? Otherwise the shorts... it is get brown!"

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Who is the hungriest of the big3 to win the title? WHo wants this title the most? They all seem to be extremely hungry even though they all have more than 50 slams combined.

Novak wants to defend the title and continue chasing Fed and Rafa. It seems he was hungrier the last year, but he is playing better this year.

Rafa hasn't won a Wimbledon for almost a decade and feels if he wins it he has a very good chance to overcome Fed's slam count. Maybe he is the hungriest of the 3. When was the last time he made 2 slams in a row, 2010? That's a long time ago.

Fed wants another slam to make Rafa's and Novak's life more miserable and prove he is still on top of the game, but also knows that he is vulnerable given the age. He is still very hungry for success and seems like he is putting all the effort in this one. He will probably be a bit deflated for USO this year.

It's really hard to put any money outside of the big 3, but I have a feeling that one of them will be knocked out before semis. Which would mean that 2 other guys will be in the semifinal and that also feels a bit unlikely at the moment, but not impossible. All we know is that all of the big3 are not untouchable, but still very hard to go down if they are motivated like they are at the moment. I guess it depends a lot on the draw, matchups and dangerous opponents who could deliver an upset if they play lights out. I hope to see more young guys making QF or SF. The draw is finally tomorrow, thank god.

It's bigger for Fed. If he allows Nadal to win 1 of the next 3 without adding another major then he is at best finishing tied which is an awful result. Winning this one here and hoping Nadal doesn't win until next RG (which is a given) is what he needs.

Novak does need to win 2 of next 3 for legit hopes of climbing the ranks and not ending up a 3rd wheel. So it is huge for him as well.

atttomole

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Maybe Nadal is forgetting that Wimbledon is a a unique grand slam tournament. It is a hallowed tournament. The oldest and most prestigious grand slam tournament. Wearing white is part of that uniqueness.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Maybe Nadal is forgetting that Wimbledon is a a unique grand slam tournament. It is a hallowed tournament. The oldest and most prestigious grand slam tournament. Wearing white is part of that uniqueness.
I hope you get that that was a joke and Rafa never said any of the immediate above.

Status
Not open for further replies.