Early Grass Talk - 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Grand_Slam

Masters Champion
Reactions
Here's a question: what is the difference between the 2-year revolving ranking idea, (long thrown out,) and the Wimbledon system of preference for grass players? Am I over-simplifying to say that one was to give some protected ranking for injured players, and the other is to give a kind of protected ranking to grass players? (ATP only.)

The 2-year ranking system would help guys who who got injured badly for like 6-7 months in the crowded part of the season(March/April-september) so guys like Haas,Del Potro etc and maybe Nadal if he ever skipped entire clay season in future.

The wimbledon seeding helps only the top-32 players get a better seeding in just ONE tournament so both vastly different things

Reactions: GameSetAndMath

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
And yet it's always Rafa you defend:lulz1:
Why does that even surprise you, when I have a raft of haters out there to combat? I won't apologize for that. You were the first one that said that Rafa claimed that Wimbledon was "disrespecting" players. (Just that, no context, and loads of sneering.) If you don't see that that was not really true, as it was taken out of context, I don't know how to help you.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The 2-year ranking system would help guys who who got injured badly for like 6-7 months in the crowded part of the season(March/April-september) so guys like Haas,Del Potro etc and maybe Nadal if he ever skipped entire clay season in future.

The wimbledon seeding helps only the top-32 players get a better seeding in just ONE tournament so both vastly different things
I don't see how they're different...they both protect a player outside of the actual season.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
To name a few,
Federer
Anderson
Raonic
Cilic
Dimitrov
Lopez
Kohlschreiber
Tsonga
Berdych
Other than Lopez and Federer, I would challenge you to tell me which of these has a winning percentage on grass v. HC.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
But the former protects a player for 10-15(depending on their schedule) tournaments,while the latter only does for ONE
Point being, it's protection. And the ONE you're talking about is a Major.

The_Grand_Slam

Masters Champion
Reactions
Other than Lopez and Federer, I would challenge you to tell me which of these has a winning percentage on grass v. HC.

Cilic,Tsonga,BerdychKohlschreiber do.
Although the sample size on grass is small so not an appropriate comparison.
Like RBA has a better win % on grass but I will still call HC his best surface.
I just wrote those names off the top of my head.

Point being, it's protection. And the ONE you're talking about is a Major.

Well the 2-year provides it for 4 majors so obvious its much more significant

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Why does that even surprise you, when I have a raft of haters out there to combat? I won't apologize for that. You were the first one that said that Rafa claimed that Wimbledon was "disrespecting" players. (Just that, no context, and loads of sneering.) If you don't see that that was not really true, as it was taken out of context, I don't know how to help you.
lol! you see that's your problem right there. You thought I needed help :D

The_Grand_Slam

Masters Champion
Reactions

I am with @Moxie on this @Federberg

Like I won't defend Nadal (even if he's right), i'll just ignore it so she shouldn't be expected to defend anyone else either

Last edited:
Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Cilic,Tsonga,BerdychKohlschreiber do.
Although the sample size on grass is small so not an appropriate comparison.
Like RBA has a better win % on grass but I will still call HC his best surface.
I just wrote those names off the top of my head.
Well the 2-year provides it for 4 majors so obvious its much more significant

OK, good call on all those guys. Most have better grass records by a small margin, but Tsonga, for one, surprised me. But, as we know, the grass season is short.

As to the other question, I didn't really so much want to debate it as point out that there were similarities in the argument, for those that would support the Wimbledon system, and snigger at the notion of the other.

Reactions: The_Grand_Slam

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Oh, you do. And the first is in reading comprehension. :lulz2:
one day you'll realise he's just a bloke Moxie, not a god. Puts his tight pants on the same way all of us do :) You won't find me wasting my time much defending Roger beyond his tennis. Just because I like the way he plays doesn't make the sun shine out of his bottom!

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
I am with @Moxie on this @Federberg

Like I won't defend Nadal (even if he's right), i'll just ignore it so she shouldn't be expected to defend anyone else either
I'll defend or criticise a player regardless of whether I'm a fan of their play. Just basic values more important than fandom. That's why Darth and I were the first to call out Roger in Shanghai when he played in the final against Murray. That's why I find it hard to ever forgive Raonic and Henin for cheating. That's just how I roll ;)

Reactions: The_Grand_Slam

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
one day you'll realise he's just a bloke Moxie, not a god. Puts his tight pants on the same way all of us do :) You won't find me wasting my time much defending Roger beyond his tennis. Just because I like the way he plays doesn't make the sun shine out of his bottom!
You have confused me with someone else. Probably Darth.

Last edited:

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Maybe Nadal could have played Queens and reach QF, but then he wouldn't come fully recharged to Wimbledon. In that interview he looked a bit upset so that tells me 2 things. He would like to avoid Novak before the final and maybe even completely hoping a bit that he loses against Fed or someone. Second thing, he has no problem facing Fed and even though it's grass he seems confident that he can win. If that match will happen again I will go with Nadal even the odds will be against him, I feel like the old man could crumble carrying a favourite burden and is about time Nadal beats him on a faster court again. That straight sets RG win certainly helps. I do like Nadal over Federer.

Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I'll defend or criticise a player regardless of whether I'm a fan of their play. Just basic values more important than fandom. That's why Darth and I were the first to call out Roger in Shanghai when he played in the final against Murray. That's why I find it hard to ever forgive Raonic and Henin for cheating. That's just how I roll ;)
What did Roger do in that final against Murray?

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
What did Roger do in that final against Murray?
Murray was getting the better of him, and Roger tried to get the officials to pause the match and close the roof as it was starting to spot with rain. He clearly needed some time to come up with a new plan, and he also (rightly) fancied himself beating Andy in an indoor setting. That was low. A consummate winner like him has to be able to take it sometimes

Status
Not open for further replies.