The nearly men of Tennis

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Some years ago, before Vitas untimely death, journalist Richard Evans labelled Vitas Gerulaitis as a 'nearly man' , meaning he was a player with number one and grand slam potential but in reality fell short of reaching it.

Back then I thought it was harsh and DID NOT AGREE. Vitas was a GS champion in australia, reached the U S and french open finals.

He also was a player of the same era as Borg, Connors. McEnroe and Lendl - four all time greats.

So the question is - do you agree with Evans assessment and what other tennis players, either then or now,
do you regard as 'nearly men'?

Reactions: Fiero425

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Juan Martin Del Potro would be my number one pick who with his game and placid nature and temperment, could well have won other GS but DID NOT due to his extraordinary run of injuries.

Reactions: Moxie and Fiero425

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
others would be Miloslav Mecir, Magnus Norman, Mark Philipoussis, Marcelo Rios, Alex Corretja.

Last edited:

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
I would add Robin Soderling to the list above.

However, Gerulaitis never had a history of injuries, right? (I really don't know). If that is the case the comparison to JMdP and Soderling is not a good one, as it is obvious they have been stopped by injuries.

Reactions: Vince Evert

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Some years ago, before Vitas untimely death, journalist Richard Evans labelled Vitas Gerulaitis as a 'nearly man' , meaning he was a player with number one and grand slam potential but in reality fell short of reaching it.

Back then I thought it was harsh and DID NOT AGREE. Vitas was a GS champion in australia, reached the U S and french open finals.

He also was a player of the same era as Borg, Connors. McEnroe and Lendl - four all time greats.

So the question is - do you agree with Evans assessment and what other tennis players, either then or now,
do you regard as 'nearly men'?

Yeah, I don't agree Vitas was a "nearly man" either.

First thoughts... Nalbandian and Mecir.

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Juan Martin Del Potro would be my number one pick who with his game and placid nature and temperment, could well have won other GS but DID NOT due to his extraordinary run of injuries.

I love a lot of things about Delpo's game but Nalbandian was more talented than him and it showed in their H2H match-ups. Both were/are very talented, but I would have to say that Nalbandian was the far greater disappointment. Delpo got more out of his ability than Nalbandian did.

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Jon Wilfred Tsonga

Lol.....I have to disagree. Although he had a spectacular serve and an explosive forehand, his movement was terrible, his backhand was average, and his personality was too frivolous to seriously pursue the most important titles.

He was definitely disappointing at times but the reasons why he did not reach greater heights were pretty apparent and fundamental. His problems were not minor/easily correctable, whereas Nalbandian's were.

Reactions: GameSetAndMath

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com

However, Gerulaitis never had a history of injuries, right? (I really don't know). If that is the case the comparison to JMdP and Soderling is not a good one, as it is obvious they have been stopped by injuries.

Poor Vitas was trying too hard to be "best buds" of the elite players of the day; ultimately undermining his own potential & record! :whistle: :facepalm:

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

Soderling is a tragedy, but I doubt he would have ever reached #1 or won more than a Slam or two, and maybe not even that. I think we saw his best level and he couldn't quite get past both of Fedal. Plus his last year was 2011 when Novak reached another level. Would the 2009-11 version of Soderling been any better in 2012 and beyond? I don't think so.

So while we did miss out on 3-5 years of peak Soderling, I think we saw how good he would ever be, just less of it than we might have hoped.

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I just remembered another one - Petr Korda, after winning the australian in 1997 he just 'gone away'.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
Soderling is a tragedy, but I doubt he would have ever reached #1 or won more than a Slam or two, and maybe not even that. I think we saw his best level and he couldn't quite get past both of Fedal. Plus his last year was 2011 when Novak reached another level. Would the 2009-11 version of Soderling been any better in 2012 and beyond? I don't think so.

So while we did miss out on 3-5 years of peak Soderling, I think we saw how good he would ever be, just less of it than we might have hoped.

Well, one major or two is already quite a feat, but my opinion was -- at least that was my opinion at that time -- that precisely we did not see his best. I remember thinking (probably posting) that he was on a very steep improvement curve. I really thought that he was about to really challenge the big three (and I always thought of a big three, never of a big four). Maybe he was the original Wawrinka.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
others would be Miloslav Mecir, Magnus Norman, Mark Philipoussis, Marcelo Rios, Alex Corretja.

I know Marcelo Rios is on everyone's list, and some of these weren't when I was watching much tennis, but I would question Magnus Norman, Mark Philipoussis and Alex Corretja. Are we talking about winning one Slam, or that they should have had better careers/won more than one Major?

I wouldn't disqualify JMDP or Soderling because of injury/illness, though I think they're in different categories. JMDP was a potential for multiple Majors. I would have thought Soderling might have gotten one, and certainly would have had a better career, if he'd stayed healthy, but even still, in his era, I wouldn't guarantee a Major.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Well, one major or two is already quite a feat, but my opinion was -- at least that was my opinion at that time -- that precisely we did not see his best. I remember thinking (probably posting) that he was on a very steep improvement curve. I really thought that he was about to really challenge the big three (and I always thought of a big three, never of a big four). Maybe he was the original Wawrinka.
That's very interesting...that he was the original Wawrinka. It's worth remembering that Soderling defined the formula for how to beat Rafa at RG, even if it really never panned out that way, or so far. Tall guy, long wing-span, big serve, cold, dreary day, and meet him on Suzanne Langlen.

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I know Marcelo Rios is on everyone's list, and some of these weren't when I was watching much tennis, but I would question Magnus Norman, Mark Philipoussis and Alex Corretja. Are we talking about winning one Slam, or that they should have had better careers/won more than one Major?

I wouldn't disqualify JMDP or Soderling because of injury/illness, though I think they're in different categories. JMDP was a potential for multiple Majors. I would have thought Soderling might have gotten one, and certainly would have had a better career, if he'd stayed healthy, but even still, in his era, I wouldn't guarantee a Major.

It can be both things , GS champion potential that wasn't fulfilled or not having better careers, derailed owing to injury, scandals or by not respecting the sport as much as they should and needed.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
what about this player?

Scanlon was just a male version of "Pam Shriver;" in the look, the short curly hair, and the relentless attacking game! IMO his only real claim to fame was defeating Ilie Nastase a couple times after he got on the tour! I can't for the life of me remember this upset at the USO in '83! I can't think of a single match worth remembering of his really! Connors winning the title probably blocks a lot of memories of the event outside of Martina winning her 1st ladies titles over Evert! :whistle: :oops: :rolleyes: :ptennis:

Last edited: