Early AO 2019 thread

Are you able not to turn this thread into a Fedal war?

• Yes.

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • No, I love him so much, I can't, oh, I can...oooohh I am crying right now, fuck you damn bastards!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I have a one track mind

• No, my goal in life is to turn everything in to a Fedal war

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • No, I am one of them and I hate that motha focka

• No, I like to to be a pain in the ass and repeat the same thing 239487342 times

• No, I like to be added to "ignore" lists

• No, because he had mono

• No, because he had bad knees

• Maybe. I am still deciding if I am retarded or not.

• Total voters

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
My take is that AO 2019 is one of the most open major tournaments in recent times. You have good reasons to bet against all main actors. Djokovic is the favorite, given history and current ranking, but I cannot see him head and shoulders above the field. Let's run down the list.

1) Djokovic: Favorite yes, but I can see him being beaten by some power player in the current fast AO surface. He is by far the most solid player now but honestly I have not seen the brilliance of past achievements. Not to mention some slip in form like the last final.

2) Nadal: Not particularly impressive in hard courts since... I don't know, since a long time ago. Not saying he is lousy lately on the surface, but far from an imperious favorite.

3) Federer: Two times defending champion, but as inconsistent as it gets (I could open a thread about this).

4) Zverev: First he needs to get to the quarters, then we talk.

5) JMdP: Needs to show consistency also, a threat if healthy and playing well, something that does not happens too much. But if gets to the quarters, he can knock down any of the top 4 given current form.

6) Anderson: Surely a threat to any of the top 4 in the quarters.

7) Cilic: Ditto.

8) Thiem: Still needs to assert himself on majors other than RG.

From 9 to 32 a lot of names who could upset a favorite early one, specially Kachanov, but at least 5 others.

Also, a possible dangerous floater in Kyrgios (at #35 he might still get seeded given walkovers, even if he has 250 points to defend from Brisbane), not to mention Wawrinka and Murray. Also coming back from injury is Rublev (who played a decent Next Gen finals). In R1, they can be a threat to just about everyone. I am not saying those floaters are threats to the title, but they are obvious possible spoilers. When was the last time we had 6 majors belonging to unseeded players? I have a few more players on my watch list for spoilers, but I will leave it for after the draw is available.

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
My take is that AO 2019 is one of the most open major tournaments in recent times. You have good reasons to bet against all main actors. Djokovic is the favorite, given history and current ranking, but I cannot see him head and shoulders above the field. Let's run down the list.

1) Djokovic: Favorite yes, but I can see him being beaten by some power player in the current fast AO surface. He is by far the most solid player now but honestly I have not seen the brilliance of past achievements. Not to mention some slip in form like the last final.

2) Nadal: Not particularly impressive in hard courts since... I don't know, since a long time ago. Not saying he is lousy lately on the surface, but far from an imperious favorite.

3) Federer: Two times defending champion, but as inconsistent as it gets (I could open a thread about this).

5) JMdP: Needs to show consistency also, a threat if healthy and playing well, something that does not happens too much. But if gets to the quarters, he can knock down any of the top 4 given current form.

From 9 to 32 a lot of names who could upset a favorite early one, specially Kachanov, but at least 5 others.

Also, a possible dangerous floater in Kyrgios (at #35 he might still get seeded given walkovers, even if he has 250 points to defend from Brisbane), not to mention Wawrinka and Murray. Also coming back from injury is Rublev (who played a decent Next Gen finals). In R1, they can be a threat to just about everyone. I am not saying those floaters are threats to the title, but they are obvious possible spoilers. When was the last time we had 6 majors belonging to unseeded players? I have a few more players on my watch list for spoilers, but I will leave it for after the draw is available.

LOL. He just won the Canadian Open like a couple months ago and reached the USO SF before having to withdraw due to injury, a slam he won the previous year. Please have a seat. :facepalm:

Reactions: Carol

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
LOL. He just won the Canadian Open like a couple months ago and reached the USO SF before having to withdraw due to injury, a slam he won the previous year. Please have a seat. :facepalm:
And semi finals in the last ‘Indoor WImbledon’ :rolleyes:

Reactions: Nadalfan2013

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Pretty sure that wasn't played on a hard court.

Yeah but Federer fans repeatedly say on this forum that Nadal sucks on hardcourt, grass and indoor so Moxie is right to bring it up and continue defending Nadal. You on the other hand don't reply to Federer fans attacking Nadal, but actually reply to Nadal fans for defending their own player. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Carol

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Yeah but Federer fans repeatedly say on this forum that Nadal sucks on hardcourt, grass and indoor so Moxie is right to bring it up and continue defending Nadal. You on the other hand don't reply to Federer fans attacking Nadal, but actually reply to Nadal fans for defending their own player. :rolleyes:
Right, I never take on Federer fans.

Reactions: ftan

The_Grand_Slam

Masters Champion
Reactions
Right now,Djokovic is the firm favorite.
But some cracks in his game(since his comeback) are becoming known so maybe someone could exploit that.
There's no firm 2nd favorite so if Djokovic is out it's anybodys slam(depending on the draw)

Reactions: Fiero425

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Rare love for Kyrgios mate?

Reactions: Moxie

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions

Moxie isn't defending Nadal, she's pointing out the stupidity of Carol's post ffs since Wimbledon was not played on a hard court.

Horsa

Equine-loving rhyme-artist
Reactions
I love your poll question & multiple choice answers. It's a shame we can't like them. I'm in stitches laughing at them.

Last edited:
Reactions: mrzz and Front242

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Too early to see what is going to happen in 2019. Hope to see all the injured players back on track and the young ones to play more stable but still....who knows

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
Rare love for Kyrgios mate?

Actually, I have nothing against him.... he can be dangerous, specially in a fast court, I never denied that. No one with sanity would like to meet him in R1 in Australia. I have posted more than once the way I see his game, I'll spare you the repetition. It would be fun to see Djokovic draw him in the first round.

It would be fun if we had (all in R1):

Dkjovic x Kyrgios
Nadal x Rublev
Federer x Wawrinka
Zverev x Murray

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Actually, I have nothing against him.... he can be dangerous, specially in a fast court, I never denied that. No one with sanity would like to meet him in R1 in Australia. I have posted more than once the way I see his game, I'll spare you the repetition. It would be fun to see Djokovic draw him in the first round.

Dkjovic x Kyrgios
Nadal x Rublev
Federer x Wawrinka
Zverev x Murray
That's good! True that there should be some dangerous floaters.

atttomole

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Too early to say. Djokovic will be the favorite to win it.

Reactions: Fiero425

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Hopefully Big Kokk is back and interested to see how Chung does next year. He was injured most of the year after the AO so a lot of people forgot his great AO run.

Reactions: Moxie

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions

Dkjovic x Kyrgios
Nadal x Rublev
Federer x Wawrinka
Zverev x Murray

Out of all of those I'd probably go with all the left side to win. Yes, I'd definitely pick Zverev over Murray at this point. If Stan comes back strong it wouldn't surprise me if he beat Federer in 5 sets either if Roger's poor form continues so I hope your draw doesn't materialize :p That result is kinda 50/50 but pretty sure about the others.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions

Also, a possible dangerous floater in Kyrgios (at #35 he might still get seeded given walkovers, even if he has 250 points to defend from Brisbane), not to mention Wawrinka and Murray. A.

You forgot one important point. Starting from AO 2019, all the GSs are moving to 16 seed pattern (like we had many years ago). As a result, we all will be blessed with a lot of interesting early round matches.

Even though Novak has won AO six times, one should keep in mind that the courts are playing faster than before (no actual change in surface conditions since he last won though). I would certainly say Novak is the favorite to win AO'19. Having said that, I would also say that the field has higher chances of winning than Novak.

Both Novak and Fed have six AOs and are tied. In fact that is also the record even if you don't limit it to open era. Roy Emerson also has six AO titles. Therefore, if either Fed or Novak wins AO this year, we will have new open era record as well as general record for most AO titles.

Reactions: mrzz