Cincinnati Masters 2022, Ohio, US - ATP Masters 1000

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
While I will always be rooting for Rafa until he hangs them up, I agree with all of your alternates. Alcaraz is still young, but I'd love to see him at least make a deep run. I think Ruud needs to find his game more on HC. I'm not feeling Shapo right now, but FAA is due for a return to earlier form from this year. I'd love to see Berrettini back in the mix.
Matteo needs more match play, I am disappointed he did not take a WC at Winston Salem tournament, quite frankly I cannot see him making any noise at this years USO
Shapo's game is still AWOL, he needs Jamie Delgado back as his coach ASAP, he hasnt done anything, consistently in matches since he defeated Rafa in Rome during the clay season
FAA not consistent enough I feel to make a deep run at this years USO
Agree, Ruud needs to more time to find his game on a HC
Alcaraz I feel is still in learning mode, in ways, he said the other day " he is feeling the pressure' he is young and very talented, time to improve in area's he needs to, like playing percentage tennis, when he needs to.

Last edited:
Reactions: Moxie

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I loved this from Borna Coric he didnt have a speech ready, because he thought he would go out in the 1st round :)

Last edited:

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I want to shout out to Don Fabio I know he will be watching and what an impressive performance from Borna coming through qualies and has 1 CH point for his first Masters 1000 title
Don I dont know if you are aware of this, I just found out myself, Borna is a natural left hander, chose to play right handed.
I didn't know he could play with left hand too. Anyway, crazy week for him and unreal performance. Tsitsipas on the other hand proves once again that he has a loser mentality, he has lost way too many finals so far. I just hope Borna can bring this form into USO. All top 10 players look beatable at the moment and hope he can take advantage of that and go deep.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I didn't know he could play with left hand too. Anyway, crazy week for him and unreal performance. Tsitsipas on the other hand proves once again that he has a loser mentality, he has lost way too many finals so far. I just hope Borna can bring this form into USO. All top 10 players look beatable at the moment and hope he can take advantage of that and go deep.
Don I agree with your thoughts, I think this year's USO is quite open., really none of the top players have been playing solid, consistent tennis before the last major of the year

Last edited:
Reactions: don_fabio

tented

Administrator
Reactions
I don’t know if he can play left handed, but I did notice when he signed the camera that he used his left hand. He could be the reverse of Rafa: chose to play left handed, therefore can’t play right handed, even though he’s naturally right handed.

Yes, agree about Tsitsipas’s weak mentality in finals. Fine with me! I’m thrilled Coric won. I’ve always liked him, and watching him tear through the draw this week was thrilling. I, too, hope he can bring this form to NYC, but am a bit concerned he exerted himself too much this week, with only one week before the USO begins.

Reactions: Moxie and don_fabio

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I don’t know if he can play left handed, but I did notice when he signed the camera that he used his left hand. He could be the reverse of Rafa: chose to play left handed, therefore can’t play right handed, even though he’s naturally right handed.

Yes, agree about Tsitsipas’s weak mentality in finals. Fine with me! I’m thrilled Coric won. I’ve always liked him, and watching him tear through the draw this week was thrilling. I, too, hope he can bring this form to NYC, but am a bit concerned he exerted himself too much this week, with only one week before the USO begins.
Yeah, this was definitely on a tear this week. A wonderful story. It gives me worry though, as you mentioned, normally after something like this comes a loss to cool you off. I just hope I am wrong. USO looks like is up for grabs this year and there could easily be a new slam winner, but we should never count out Rafa.

Reactions: tented

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Rafa didn't exactly "choose" to play left-handed. He's left-footed in soccer, and Toni definitely thought his "power" was on his left side. (And clearly he was correct, then Rafa took the right hand off, as a kid.) So I think it was an evolution. Lefties who choose to play right-handed are more curious, given that there is a lefty advangage, so I have to think that Coric is also rather ambidextrous, and maybe his power is on his right side? I think Sharapova is also sort of a leftie who plays righty, am I wrong? I hate to use the word "non-binary" right now, but some people's handedness is not so specific.

Tsitsipas is threatening to become Dimitrov. Or Zverev.

Coric might be a bit overwhelmed, or tired, or he might just be peaking at the right time. I, personally, will be hoping he ends up on the other half of the draw from Rafa. :)

Oh, and did anyone else say that he jumped 123 places in the rankings this week? Surely someone did. Good to see him back!