11. Taylor Fritz
12. Matteo Berrettini
13. Diego Schwartzman
14. Marin Cilic
15. Roberto Bautista Agut
16. Grigor Dimitrov

1000-min1.jpeg

The Tournament:

The Cincinnati Masters (branded as the Western & Southern Open for sponsorship reasons) is an annual outdoor hardcourt tennis event held in Mason, Ohio near Cincinnati. The event started on September 18, 1899, and is the oldest tennis tournament in the United States played in its original city. The tournament is the second largest summer tennis event in the U.S. after the US Open, as its men's event is one of the Masters 1000 tournaments on the ATP Tour and its women's event is one of the WTA 1000 events on the WTA Tour.

About Cincinnati:

Cincinnati is a city in the U.S. state of Ohio and the county seat of Hamilton County. Settled in 1788, the city is located at the northern side of the confluence of the Licking and Ohio rivers, the latter of which marks the state line with Kentucky. The city is the economic and cultural hub of the Cincinnati metropolitan area. With an estimated population of 2,256,884, it is Ohio's largest metropolitan area and the nation's 30th-largest, and with a city population of 309,317, Cincinnati is the third-largest city in Ohio and 64th in the United States. Throughout much of the 19th century, it was among the top 10 U.S. cities by population, surpassed only by New Orleans and the older, established settlements of the United States eastern seaboard, as well as being the sixth-most populous city from 1840 until 1860.

1920px-Cincinnati_Photomontage_V1.jpg

Tourism Video:

Reactions: Moxie

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Cincinnati main draw wildcards update:
Korda, Mackenzie McDonald, JJ Wolf, Ben Shelton

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Draw has started,

I will post Rafa's draw ( I also posted it on Rafa fan post)

R2 Coric/Qualifer
Rd Bautista Agut
QF FAA/Sinner
SF Alcaraz/ Ruud
F. Medvedev/

Last edited:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Draw has started,

I will post Rafa's draw ( I also posted it on Rafa fan post)

R2 Coric/Qualifer
Rd Bautista Agut
QF FAA/Sinner
SF Alcaraz/ Ruud
F. Medvedev/
Honestly, at first glance, Rafa's half is not bad at all. The most trending player in his quarter is PCB. Maybe Cerundolo, whom I'm guessing he's never played. OK, Felix. Medvedev gets either Cressy or Vandezanshulp early...not a great place to start. He can't face everyone who is dangerous in his quarter, but there are bombs in there, like Kyrgios, who just capped him. Basically all of the dangerous players, such that there are, are in the top half. Not having yet really worked my way through the draw.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Honestly, at first glance, Rafa's half is not bad at all. The most trending player in his quarter is PCB. Maybe Cerundolo, whom I'm guessing he's never played. OK, Felix. Medvedev gets either Cressy or Vandezanshulp early...not a great place to start. He can't face everyone who is dangerous in his quarter, but there are bombs in there, like Kyrgios, who just capped him. Basically all of the dangerous players, such that there are, are in the top half. Not having yet really worked my way through the draw.
I agree with you I dont think Rafa's draw isnt bad at all.

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
If Nadal's goal is just to win 2 to 3 matches and stay healthy, he has a good draw. He does potentially faces Coric in the 2nd round (I know Coric has been injured a lot lately).

Other than that, he should get out of Cincy healthy (fingers crossed).

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
If Nadal's goal is just to win 2 to 3 matches and stay healthy, he has a good draw. He does potentially faces Coric in the 2nd round (I know Coric has been injured a lot lately).

Rafa's hasnt got a bad draw at all, wathcing him today in 2 practice sessions at Cinncy, he appears fine

Last edited:
Reactions: the AntiPusher

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Don't kid me with Coric, who couldn't even beat Cilic in Montreal. Whoever slots in as Qualifier/Lucky Loser/Special Exempt would likely be more dangerous. The notion that Nadal can get to #1 after Cincy got a lot more realistic after this draw. I'm not saying I'm hoping for it, but jeepers. Look at the draw.

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Don't kid me with Coric, who couldn't even beat Cilic in Montreal. Whoever slots in as Qualifier/Lucky Loser/Special Exempt would likely be more dangerous. The notion that Nadal can get to #1 after Cincy got a lot more realistic after this draw. I'm not saying I'm hoping for it, but jeepers. Look at the draw.
Remember, if Medvedev reaches the QF, then Nadal wouldn’t be number 1 even if he wins Cincy.

If we are talking about seeding purposes at US Open, I am more interested in the 2nd seed. Alcaraz can overtake Nadal in the rankings if he wins Cincy this upcoming week.

I know, I know draws are only paper potential in the grand schemes of things BUT as a Nadal fan who wants me to win his Slam#23, I would prefer Nadal to be the 2nd seed and have Alcaraz be on Medvedev’s half of the draw at the US Open than Nadal being the 3rd seed POTENTIALLY face Alcaraz/Medvedev back to back for the title.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Remember, if Medvedev reaches the QF, then Nadal wouldn’t be number 1 even if he wins Cincy.

If we are talking about seeding purposes at US Open, I am more interested in the 2nd seed. Alcaraz can overtake Nadal in the rankings if he wins Cincy this upcoming week.

I know, I know draws are only paper potential in the grand schemes of things BUT as a Nadal fan who wants me to win his Slam#23, I would prefer Nadal to be the 2nd seed and have Alcaraz be on Medvedev’s half of the draw at the US Open than Nadal being the 3rd seed POTENTIALLY face Alcaraz/Medvedev back to back for the title.
I understand your point. I am with you. But still, we couldn't have asked for a better draw for Rafa, right? And if it is between Alcaraz and Rafa for the 2nd seed at the USO, what could be better than that Medvedev and Alcaraz be on the same side at Cincy? I guess we're considering that Zverev will not play the USO? (Is that official?) Rafa has almost 600 more points than Charlie A., so what will it take for Rafa to be #2 going into the USO?

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I understand your point. I am with you. But still, we couldn't have asked for a better draw for Rafa, right? And if it is between Alcaraz and Rafa for the 2nd seed at the USO, what could be better than that Medvedev and Alcaraz be on the same side at Cincy? I guess we're considering that Zverev will not play the USO? (Is that official?) Rafa has almost 600 more points than Charlie A., so what will it take for Rafa to be #2 going into the USO?
You meant USO right, Moxie? Haha

Nadal just need to reach QF to be #2 going into US Open even if Zverev plays US Open. However, if Alcaraz wins Cincy then Alcaraz will be #2 going into the US Open.

Now, if neither Nadal reaches QF nor Alcaraz reaches Final (or win title), then Zverev will be #2 going US Open, if he plays the tournament.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
You meant USO right, Moxie? Haha

Nadal just need to reach QF to be #2 going into US Open even if Zverev plays US Open. However, if Alcaraz wins Cincy then Alcaraz will be #2 going into the US Open.

Now, if neither Nadal reaches QF nor Alcaraz reaches Final (or win title), then Zverev will be #2 going US Open, if he plays the tournament.
I think I did say the USO. (??) Let's presume that Zverev is not playing the USO. If Nadal does better than Alcaraz at Cincy, then he goes into the USO as #2?

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Well Sasha has just got his moon boot off and has returned to light training, I read the other day he is looking forward to playing DC for Germany and no mention of playing the USO at this stage .BTW DC is after the USO.

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Quite frankly I dont see Rafa's goal is just to win a few matches in Cinncy, Rafanoy?

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I think I did say the USO. (??) Let's presume that Zverev is not playing the USO. If Nadal does better than Alcaraz at Cincy, then he goes into the USO as #2?
If Zverev doesn’t play US Open, Nadal is #2 at US Open unless Alcaraz wins Cincy then Alcaraz is #2 at US Open.

Reactions: Moxie