12 CILIC, Marin
13 GASQUET, Richard
14 KYRGIOS, Nick
15 BAUTISTA AGUT, Roberto
16 LOPEZ, Feliciano

2737830368_678890977e_b_cincinnati-tennis-stadium.jpg

Photo by sebrenner

The Tournament:

The Cincinnati Masters (currently sponsored by the Western & Southern Financial Group and called the Western & Southern Open) is the second largest summer tennis event in the U.S. after the U.S. Open, as its men’s portion is one of nine elite Masters 1000 tournaments on the ATP World Tour and its women’s event is one of five Premier 5 events on the WTA Tour.

The tournament began in 1899 and is the oldest tennis tournament in the United States.

About Cincinnati

Cincinnati is the third largest city in Ohio. As the first major US city founded after the American Revolution, as well as its first major inland city, it is considered the first “purely American city.” Though its influence has fallen off since its heyday in the 19th Century, it still carries political importance, as well as being a major sports hub, home of the baseball Reds and NFL Bengals. Early immigrants to Cincinnati were largely German, which is reflected in foods and festivals even today. The Oktoberfest Zinnzinnati is the largest outside of Bavaria, and their Bockfest is the oldest celebration of bock beers in the US.

cincinnati-skyline-in-christmas-colors-keith-allen.jpg

latest

bockfest1.jpg

Tourism Video

Photo by sebrenner

Read the whole post here.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Oops, sorry, I haven't seen this page and I put the men draw in another thread :)

Tennis Fan

Major Winner
Reactions

He is, but it's not so crazy, because he has no match preparation besides Rio, and it takes a while to get your instincts back. You have to be in competitive match to get your rhythm, I would think. I doubt that he's trying to win the whole thing, just get used to the adrenaline flowing again. That's a long time out of contention and I'm sure his reflexes aren't where he wants them to be.

Initially, I thought it was a bad idea to play the Olympics, but in hindsight it makes sense. They always say that practice doesn't compensate, you need the pressure associated with a match. He may be tired, but if he rests between now and the USO, he may lose the little muscle memory that he gained from Rio and would have to start back at square one.

Tennis Fan

Major Winner
Reactions

Oops. Keystrokes failed me in the middle of the post.

Tennis Fan

Major Winner
Reactions
I thought Andy said, when he was talking to Trennie that he wasn't going to Cincinnati, but wanted to savor the moment instead.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
He is, but it's not so crazy, because he has no match preparation besides Rio, and it takes a while to get your instincts back. You have to be in competitive match to get your rhythm, I would think. I doubt that he's trying to win the whole thing, just get used to the adrenaline flowing again. That's a long time out of contention and I'm sure his reflexes aren't where he wants them to be.

Initially, I thought it was a bad idea to play the Olympics, but in hindsight it makes sense. They always say that practice doesn't compensate, you need the pressure associated with a match. He may be tired, but if he rests between now and the USO, he may lose the little muscle memory that he gained from Rio and would have to start back at square one.

I read this article earlier: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...-wrist-bothers-him-only-on-forehand/88737960/

Rafael Nadal says his ailing left wrist bothers him on his forehand but not on his backhand or serve.

Of course, that's still a pretty big impediment but he sounded in good spirits...

Rafa saying "without a doubt it's been a positive week in all aspects — I've played for many hours and the wrist at least didn't get worse."

Tennis Fan

Major Winner
Reactions
According to this, he's now flying out with Rafa on a private jet.

I checked the ATPTour site and Andy's name is still on the draw. I'm sure they would've made an announcement by now since the tournament has already started, even before the 11:00 start time.

Tennis Fan

Major Winner
Reactions
I read this article earlier: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...-wrist-bothers-him-only-on-forehand/88737960/

Rafael Nadal says his ailing left wrist bothers him on his forehand but not on his backhand or serve.

Of course, that's still a pretty big impediment but he sounded in good spirits...

Rafa saying "without a doubt it's been a positive week in all aspects — I've played for many hours and the wrist at least didn't get worse."

Throughout his career I've also questioned his choices, but in the end it seems to work for him. I think it's just jarring because people expect everyone to do things the same way and are not comfortable when things don't go according to plan. Yeah, it was his serve that was hampered the most, which is odd.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I've read that Muzz and Rafa are already in Cincinnatti. Crossing fingers that Rafa wrist is doing well after to have so much practice in Rio that anyway he need it but I'm worry. That he doesn't have too much time to rest so I keep thinking that it's crazy to decide to play in Cincy instead to just to continue practicing until th

Tennis Fan

Major Winner
Reactions
I've read that Muzz and Rafa are already in Cincinnatti. Crossing fingers that Rafa wrist is doing well after to have so much practice in Rio that anyway he need it but I'm worry. That he doesn't have too much time to rest so I keep thinking that it's crazy to decide to play in Cincy instead to just to continue practicing until th

He'll probably just get a match in. I don't think he'll go all out. Then he can rest.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Rafa has withdrawn from Cincinnatti, wise decision but I hope it has been more for the fatigue than his wrist, crossing fingers

Tennis Fan

Major Winner
Reactions
Rafa has withdrawn from Cincinnatti, wise decision but I hope it has been more for the fatigue than his wrist, crossing fingers

That's good news. I hope it was for fatigue too.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
That's good news. I hope it was for fatigue too.
It's not still confirmed, I've also read that he is going to practice today at 6pm so we'll see what he is going to do, hope that information is correct

Tennis Fan

Major Winner
Reactions
It's not still confirmed, I've also read that he is going to practice today at 6pm so we'll see what he is going to do, hope that information is correct

This guy is about to drive me nuts. Hopefully his withdrawal holds. Fingers crossed.

Reactions: Carol

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Results from the Cincinnati Open Men's Singles Round 1 matches

Borna Coric (Croatia) beat Benoit Paire (France) 1-6 6-3 6-4
Pablo Cuevas (Uruguay) beat Sam Querrey (U.S.) 4-6 7-6(5) 6-3
Kevin Anderson (South Africa) beat Alexandr Dolgopolov (Ukraine) 7-5 0-0 (Dolgopolov retired)
Julien Benneteau (France) beat 10-David Ferrer (Spain) 6-4 2-6 6-4
Jared Donaldson (U.S.) beat Nicolas Almagro (Spain) 6-3 7-6(2)