Australian Open 2024 - Men's Draw Challenge

And just for fun, why not a poll? Who ya got?

• Medvedev

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ben Shelton (for a particular fan)

• Dark horse

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Vince Forza!
ah bless you Margaret.

When was the last time an italian mens champion won a Grand Slam? I know the last female was Flavia Penetta (think that's how it's spelled) with her surprising win at the US Open in 2015 was the more recent one. The thing that is noticable with Janick is that he's definitely got the game to win any of the Grand Slams. The boy has potential alright, AYE

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
ah bless you Margaret.

When was the last time an italian mens champion won a Grand Slam? I know the last female was Flavia Penetta (think that's how it's spelled) with her surprising win at the US Open in 2015 was the more recent one. The thing that is noticable with Janick is that he's definitely got the game to win any of the Grand Slams. The boy has potential alright, AYE
I was looking at the ESPN round-table on picks to win, and, while no one is willing to pick against Novak, the 2nd favorite amongst their experts was Sinner. Forza, Jannik!

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
ah bless you Margaret.

Adriano Panetta was the last time a Italian man won a GS title in 1976 French Open, a long time between drinks Vince lol!
Matteo Berrettini did make the final at Wimbledon in 2021,though no success

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Adriano Panetta was the last time a Italian man won a GS title in 1976 French Open, a long time between drinks Vince lol!
Matteo Berrettini did make the final at Wimbledon in 2021,though no success
Well that was a tad before i discovered and watched the game. Yes i do remember Panatta by virtue of his '77 Davis Cup marathon against John Alexander at White City in Sydney wasn't it. Could be an Omen for Jannick to win his first major , as 1976 was the last time Italian side won the Davis cup prior to 2003 truimph.

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Well that was a tad before i discovered and watched the game. Yes i do remember Panatta by virtue of his '77 Davis Cup marathon against John Alexander at White City in Sydney wasn't it. Could be an Omen for Jannick to win his first major , as 1976 was the last time Italian side won the Davis cup prior to 2003 truimph.
I like the way your are talking, Jannik was the 'star' in our DC win late last year, I feel his best chances to win his first GS title are on HC's, hopefully he can take the form he had late in 2023 season to the AO this year.

Reactions: Vince Evert

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I like the way your are talking, Jannik was the 'star' in our DC win late last year, I feel his best chances to win his first GS title are on HC's, hopefully he can take the form he had late in 2023 season to the AO this year.
Darren CAHILL has been getting the best out of him, AYE :)

Reactions: Moxie

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Vince,
Dont forget you can get Stan for the AO for free, besides Channel 9 which has a couple of channels, they are the official national broadcaster

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Also I am not ruling our Alcaraz or Meddy both players skipped pre tournaments before the AO, for different reasons, though both players know how to win on a HC

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Gotta go with my head, not my heart: Novak.
Well I went with my head too instead of heart. My theory is if the first 2 seeds meet each other in the final, I feel Alcaraz will be the one to bring Novak down.

• Wow
Reactions: Moxie and tented

tented

Administrator
Reactions
I know this won’t last long so I have to enjoy it quickly. (I’m at the bottom of the WTA draw.)

IMG_5410.jpeg

Reactions: Moxie and don_fabio

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
The first round is such a crapshoot, a guessing game. I mean, did anyone really have a strong feeling about Machac vs. Mochizuki? (We can call the latter "mochi" for the Whole Foods shoppers).

I suppose the big upset was Cilic. Garin, too. He was one of the first Next Genners that people mentioned here, I think as early as 2014ish...but he's been such a disappointment. He looked like he was finally putting it together in 2019-21ish, but didn't really move up, peaking at #17. He's going to be 28 this year...man, it is so crazy how Next Gen is now in their later 20s!

Reactions: Moxie and tented