27. Lorenzo Musetti
28. Sebastian Baez
29. Felix Auger-Aliassime
30. Tomas Martin Etcheverry
31. Jiri Lehecka
32. Alexander Bublik

australian-open-court-match.jpg

The Tournament:

The Australian Open is a tennis tournament held annually at Melbourne Park in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. The tournament is the first of the four Grand Slam tennis events held each year, preceding the French Open, Wimbledon, and the US Open. The Australian Open starts in the middle of January and continues for two weeks coinciding with the Australia Day holiday. It features men's and women's singles; men's, women's, and mixed doubles; junior's championships; and wheelchair, legends, and exhibition events. Until 1987, it was played on grass courts, but since then two types of hardcourt surfaces have been used: green-coloured Rebound Ace up to 2007 and blue Plexicushion since 2008.

First held in 1905 as the Australasian championships, the Australian Open has grown to become one of the biggest sporting events in the Southern Hemisphere. Nicknamed "the happy slam", the Australian Open is the highest attended Grand Slam event, with more than 902,000 people attending the 2023 tournament. It was also the first Grand Slam tournament to feature indoor play during wet weather or extreme heat with its three primary courts, Rod Laver Arena, John Cain Arena and the refurbished Margaret Court Arena equipped with retractable roofs.

About Melbourne:

Melbourne is the capital and most populous city of the Australian state of Victoria, and the second-most populous city in both Australia and Oceania. Its name generally refers to a 9,993 km2 (3,858 sq mi) metropolitan area known as Greater Melbourne, comprising an urban agglomeration of 31 local municipalities, although the name is also used specifically for the local municipality of City of Melbourne based around its central business area. The metropolis occupies much of the northern and eastern coastlines of Port Phillip Bay and spreads into the Mornington Peninsula, part of West Gippsland, as well as the hinterlands towards the Yarra Valley, the Dandenong and Macedon Ranges. It has a population over 5 million (19% of the population of Australia, as per 2021 census), mostly residing to the east side of the city centre, and its inhabitants are commonly referred to as "Melburnians".

yarra-river-melbourne.jpg

Tourism Guide:

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
^ I look at the list above and it occurs to me that, without adding in Nadal, men's tennis of today only includes 3 individuals who have won majors at the start of another big event – – the top 3 seeds. If that is true, I wonder how that matches up with thea 1970s, 1980s, 1990s and the early 2000s when Roger came up. I am sure El Dude can assist with this. It seems to me that those periods I believe there were more than just 3 players who had major championships. Then again, since 2010 it has been only 6 individuals who have one majors and those would be the Big 3, Stanislas, Murray and Dominic I believe. To that we can add Daniel and Carlos in the last couple of years

Reactions: Fiero425

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
^ I look at the list above and it occurs to me that, without adding in Nadal, men's tennis of today only includes 3 individuals who have won majors at the start of another big event – – the top 3 seeds. If that is true, I wonder how that matches up with thea 1970s, 1980s, 1990s and the early 2000s when Roger came up. I am sure El Dude can assist with this. It seems to me that those periods I believe there were more than just 3 players who had major championships. Then again, since 2010 it has been only 6 individuals who have one majors and those would be the Big 3, Stanislas, Murray and Dominic I believe. To that we can add Daniel and Carlos in the last couple of years
Hey Shawn. You have to add Cough Drop who won his lone slam in 2014.

• Haha
Reactions: shawnbm and Moxie

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Full list of AO wild cards,
James Duckworth (AUS)
Marc Polmans (AUS)
Adam Walton (AUS)
Jason Kubler (AUS)
James McCabe (AUS)
Jerry Shang ( Asia Pacific)
Patrick Kypson (USA exchange)
Arthur Cazaux (French exchange)

Last edited:
Reactions: AnonymousFan

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Just preparing people for the draw challenge, but Coco Vandeweghe has gone out on a limb already to say she thinks Zverev will win. She's going with the dark horse.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Just preparing people for the draw challenge, but Coco Vandeweghe has gone out on a limb already to say she thinks Zverev will win. She's going with the dark horse.
I heard her say that, have you seen his Man Bun it is disgusting, someone has to take him to a barber before the AO starts

• Haha
Reactions: Front242

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I heard her say that, have you seen his Man Bun it is disgusting, someone has to take him to a barber before the AO starts
I remember my wife saying to me, what happened to his hair? That was during the USO...maybe dreadlocks are the ultimate goal instead of scissors.

• Haha
Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Interesting that Medvedev, Alcaraz and Sinner are not playing any warm up tournaments before the AO
Sinner is down to play Kooyong Classic a round robin event just before the AO

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Rafa has withdrawn from AO due to injury again. This is sad news...

"Rafael Nadal has withdrawn from the Australian Open due to the injury he suffered at the Brisbane international during a loss to Australia's Jordan Thompson.

Nadal said an MRI confirmed a small muscle tear and that he would return to Spain for treatment.

The Spanish great said he is also not ready to play best of five set matches."

Last edited:

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Rafa has withdrawn from AO due to injury again. This is sad news...

"Rafael Nadal has withdrawn from the Australian Open due to the injury he suffered at the Brisbane international during a loss to Australia's Jordan Thompson.

Nadal said an MRI confirmed a small muscle tear and that he would return to Spain for treatment.

The Spanish great said he is also not ready to play best of five set matches."
absolutely tragic news. I hope he's at least able to play Roland Garros if this is indeed his last year.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Most definitely this is the END of Rafa's tennis career.. IMO. It's a darn shame.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Terrible news for the Nads faithful. I hope he can get ready for his last stand on the dirt.

Reactions: don_fabio

PhiEaglesfan712

Masters Champion
Reactions
Interesting that Medvedev, Alcaraz and Sinner are not playing any warm up tournaments before the AO
Sinner is down to play Kooyong Classic a round robin event just before the AO
After seeing the news about Rafa, this might not be a bad choice at all. You want to stay healthy for the AO. Plus, these players played a lot post-US Open.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Rafa Nadal has withdrawn from the AO , after having a MRI in Melbourne he sustained a micro tear in muscle.( the opposite side to where he first sustained his injury)
Rafa will return to Spain to see his doctor and rest.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.